Worth giving a shot at top unis for electronic engineering?

Watch
scrlk
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm applying for electronic engineering with BBC (annoyingly wasn't that far off AAB ) at AS. GCSEs were better, 6 A*, 3 A, B and a C (French ).

Looking at places that want AAA or AAB. Bristol and Southampton are my 'moonshot' options, personally don't think I'll get an offer with my AS grades but want to give it a punt.

I've put my unit grades in to the application, and my reference from my tutor will highlight that I'm not that far off the next grade up.

I've done other things on the side (engineering related). Project that I worked on ended up going to the National Science + Engineering Competition this year. Also did 2 work experience placements in engineering firms + financial fund in London, along with attending an electronic engineering Headstart course.

Will this add some extra weight to the application?
scrlk
Rep:
?
Bump.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scrlk)
Bump.
have a look at Swansea. They have just opened a brand new campus for Engineering have a good reputation and might offer slightly lower grades. I would also suggest looking into Bath and Exeter
Holmstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scrlk)
Hi guys,

I'm applying for electronic engineering with BBC (annoyingly wasn't that far off AAB ) at AS. GCSEs were better, 6 A*, 3 A, B and a C (French ).

Looking at places that want AAA or AAB. Bristol and Southampton are my 'moonshot' options, personally don't think I'll get an offer with my AS grades but want to give it a punt.

I've put my unit grades in to the application, and my reference from my tutor will highlight that I'm not that far off the next grade up.

I've done other things on the side (engineering related). Project that I worked on ended up going to the National Science + Engineering Competition this year. Also did 2 work experience placements in engineering firms + financial fund in London, along with attending an electronic engineering Headstart course.

Are your predictions BBC or AAB? Unis can and do give more weight to the predictions than the AS grades. If the predictions are BBC, it might be worth considering putting all the effort into getting the grades this year, and applying this time next year for Sept 2017 entrance.
scrlk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
Are your predictions BBC or AAB? Unis can and do give more weight to the predictions than the AS grades. If the predictions are BBC, it might be worth considering putting all the effort into getting the grades this year, and applying this time next year for Sept 2017 entrance.
Predictions are AAB.
Holmstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by scrlk)
Hi guys,

For Bristol, the extra-curricular will add further weight. Also, you might qualify for a contextual offer (you need to check whether your school is in their list of lowest 40% of schools). Have a look at this detailed statement for Bristol:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...ngineering.pdf

However, this does not say what weighting they give to predicted vs actual grades. IT might be worth emailing the admissions for your subject to confirm that your grades would not mean an auto-reject (if they would, then choose somewhere else this year).
scrlk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
For Bristol, the extra-curricular will add further weight. Also, you might qualify for a contextual offer (you need to check whether your school is in their list of lowest 40% of schools). Have a look at this detailed statement for Bristol:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media...ngineering.pdf

However, this does not say what weighting they give to predicted vs actual grades. IT might be worth emailing the admissions for your subject to confirm that your grades would not mean an auto-reject (if they would, then choose somewhere else this year).
Thanks for your advice. I've just emailed their admissions team.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (49)
17.75%
No one else does (87)
31.52%
I'm embarrassed about my background (28)
10.14%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (93)
33.7%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.17%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.54%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.17%

Watched Threads