The Student Room Group

Struggling to make conversation with people

Hi

As it says in the title, I have always struggled on making conversation with most people. It's kind of weird though as I can talk to my family and close friends really well, but with other people I struggle on knowing what to say to people. I feel there can be awkward silences which makes me feel bad. I do talk, but probably just waffle like I am doing now.

Anyway, can you please give me suggestions on what to talk to people about in general with boys and girls. I have just started university so need help quickly.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

As it says in the title, I have always struggled on making conversation with most people. It's kind of weird though as I can talk to my family and close friends really well, but with other people I struggle on knowing what to say to people. I feel there can be awkward silences which makes me feel bad. I do talk, but probably just waffle like I am doing now.

Anyway, can you please give me suggestions on what to talk to people about in general with boys and girls. I have just started university so need help quickly.

Thanks

Hi

I am the same with not knowing what to say. As for uni if you are in a queue at where ever in uni say library you could ask what course they are on. What building they are in. Why they picked their course. For me that's what helped because I don't talk that much to people I don't know and so asking stuff like this while it's still freshers I think I left uni so have no idea :/ but the basics of what is above should be ok. Hope this helps if you need more just pm me and I'll try and help
Retail work helps big time with this.....

Normally I can tell when someone isn't that good with conversations so I make the effort to come up with the content. 9/10 People recognize it and do there best to help out, but for that to happen you actually need to speak, so just go say hi...

If you want a starter:
- "How was your weekend/Evening" - Shows interest, leads on to conversation about whatever they did, most people are more willing to talk about themselves...

Otherwise just go say high and introduce yourself, it'll go from there. No reason to be afraid of waffling, everybody does it, it's the bulk of a conversation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending