THE World Rankings 2016 (British Universities see Significant Increase in Rankings)

Watch
C_Richards99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
2. University of Oxford (3)
4. University of Cambridge (5)
8. Imperial College London (9)
14. University College London (22)
23. London School of Economics (34)
24. University of Edinburgh (36)
27. King's College London (40)
=56. University of Manchester (52)
69. University of Bristol (74)
70. Durham University (83)
=76. University of Glasgow (94)
80. University of Warwick (103)
86. University of St Andrews (111)
93. University of Exeter (154)
97. University of Sheffield (121)
98. Queen Mary University of London (107)

For results outside of the Top 100 see
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ge/0/length/25
username193837
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HYPSM+Oxbridge are the best universities, don't care what the ranking says..........
Okorange
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great to see St Andrews now solidly in the top 100 in the world!
Glenbard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great to see Warwick rising so much up the charts!
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
TSR will disregard this because they think Oxford cannot be better than Cambridge.
mm14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm actually surprised this thread hasn't blown up yet
Skitee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just a question: Why can there be such a discrepancy between the national rankings and international rankings? KCL, for instance, regularly achieves a similar position in both the international rankings (27) and national rankings (21) whilst other universities which achieve very highly nationally (Surrey, Lancaster, Exeter, Bath) don't perform well on international rankings... What is the reason for this, and which list is more reliable?
Film
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Skitee)
Just a question: Why can there be such a discrepancy between the national rankings and international rankings? KCL, for instance, regularly achieves a similar position in both the international rankings (27) and national rankings (21) whilst other universities which achieve very highly nationally (Surrey, Lancaster, Exeter, Bath) don't perform well on international rankings... What is the reason for this, and which list is more reliable?
Exeter is ranked in the top 100 of universities worldwide. How is that not performing well in International rankings?
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by C_Richards99)
2. University of Oxford (3)
4. University of Cambridge (5)
8. Imperial College London (9)
14. University College London (22)
23. London School of Economics (34)
24. University of Edinburgh (36)
27. King's College London (40)
=56. University of Manchester (52)
69. University of Bristol (74)
70. Durham University (83)
=76. University of Glasgow (94)
80. University of Warwick (103)
86. University of St Andrews (111)
93. University of Exeter (154)
97. University of Sheffield (121)
98. Queen Mary University of London (107)

For results outside of the Top 100 see
https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ge/0/length/25
Bit more believable than the QS ones...

Posted from TSR Mobile
ScarletXxXRose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm surprised Queen Mary is on there
YAY!
Skitee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Film)
Exeter is ranked in the top 100 of universities worldwide. How is that not performing well in International rankings?
It's still (relatively) lower there than it is in the national ones. Ok so it probably isn't the best example and I apologise for that... But the question is still valid, other universities' results are very different in the national and international rankings: why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
Because domestic rankings take into account of student satisfaction and entry tariffs, and they calculate graduate prospects differently.
mm14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's still (relatively) lower there than it is in the national ones. Ok so it probably isn't the best example and I apologise for that... But the question is still valid, other universities' results are very different in the national and international rankings: why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
Because domestic rankings take into account of student satisfaction and entry tariffs, and they calculate graduate prospects differently.
What he said, all rankings have different methodologies, analyse them and see which ones are more suited towards your needs
deathbeforeimmortality
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good list.
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find it surprising that the LSE is 23rd. Would have expected them to be a lot higher up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
37.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.57%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.98%

Watched Threads