The Student Room Group

5 A Levels and STEP - is additional further maths a necessity to do well on STEP.

Considering time, I have only really covered:

C3, C4, M1, S2, D1.

Have all the harder modules left in terms of content. Have people got 1/S and not done AFM?
It's not a necessity at all
Reply 2
Original post by Mihael_Keehl

C3, C4, M1, S2, D1.

Have all the harder modules left in terms of content. Have people got 1/S and not done AFM?

No it isn't necessary. STEP I and II requires knowledge of C1-4 M1-2 S1-2, whereas STEP III requires FP1-3 and M2-4 ( I think, but do check the specification on the admission website).

You are better off focusing on getting a solid understanding of C1-4, M1-2, and then starting preparation for STEP. I've only just started C4, but will start preparing for STEP around December.

C3, C4, M1, S2, D1.

To my knowledge onlystep3 required Fp3, m5,s4 and few other modules. I think its worth asking onthe step thread
I recall proof by induction being also required for STEP. Its a chapter covered in FP1 but besides that only STEP 3 requires the further math syllabus
Original post by Duke Glacia
To my knowledge onlystep3 required Fp3, m5,s4 and few other modules. I think its worth asking onthe step thread

So all the hard modues, meanging that if you do this m5 etc. it is a prerequisite that you do m3 m4 etc.
Reply 6

C3, C4, M1, S2, D1.

One of our students got SS last year in STEP II and III having done Maths and FM (FP1-3, S2, M2&3)
Original post by Compost
One of our students got SS last year in STEP II and III having done Maths and FM (FP1-3, S2, M2&3)

Smart person.
Reply 8

C3, C4, M1, S2, D1.

Have all the harder modules left in terms of content.

No.

Join the STEP thread here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3478331
STEP Prep Thread 2016

Posted from TSR Mobile

C3, C4, M1, S2, D1.

AFM gives no benefits for getting into Uni or STEP. If you want you can cover all the applied topics for STEP III to improve your choice of questions, but there's no point in taking the exams. The higher stats modules are a minority sport. Assuming you're aiming at a Maths course extra stats will be of no help at Uni either.

Spend your time doing problem solving and getting your proofs right.
I see thank you.

Original post by ian.slater
AFM gives no benefits for getting into Uni or STEP. If you want you can cover all the applied topics for STEP III to improve your choice of questions, but there's no point in taking the exams. The higher stats modules are a minority sport. Assuming you're aiming at a Maths course extra stats will be of no help at Uni either.

Spend your time doing problem solving and getting your proofs right.

Quick Reply

Latest