Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know several people, including myself who seem to find S2 easier than S1 MEI, I wondered if there are ppl out there who think the same! I haven't taken S2 yet to compare, but I know some ppl who have taken S1, S2, S3 and still re-taking S1!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ive got S1 tomorrow, and I can tell you its the exam im going to do worst in. I havent done S2 yet, but will do next year. I hate stats.

ReputationRep:
    obviously s2 isn't easier than s1, but the gap from GCSE stats to S1 is a lot bigger than the gap between s1 and s2.

ReputationRep:
    altho i did better in s1 than s2, i'd say s1 is actually harder. i got 23/60 for my mock!

ReputationRep:
    s2 IS easier than s1. The reason is because the s1 syallabus is a terrible mix of crap that doesn't fit together very well. To add worse for wear, the MEI books are appualing, with errors and incorrect answers and just bad grammer all over the place.
    When i was told i was gonna do s2 in second year i just dreaded it, but s2 is actually far more structured than s1. All which is left of the vagueness is thsoe stupid "explain your answer" marks they slap on the end of questions. In reality most of s2 is just using the formulas in the formula book - and then for the trickier pure probability question, although you might not have the same method as the mark scheme (which tends to use hundreds of nCr's everywhere) if you work everything from first principles, you tend to do fine!

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Couldn't agree more about the text books. Utter rubbish! I have never even used a S1 or S2 textbook. I think the P2 one was alright from what I can remember. The M1 one was terrible. Got S1 and S2 tomorrow. I think with statistics you can't really tell how well you've done because there is always some dodgy bit to almost every question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma Louise)
    ^^ Couldn't agree more about the text books. Utter rubbish! I have never even used a S1 or S2 textbook. I think the P2 one was alright from what I can remember. The M1 one was terrible. Got S1 and S2 tomorrow. I think with statistics you can't really tell how well you've done because there is always some dodgy bit to almost every question!
    lol M1 was just funny, in fact it got to the point that we knew if our answers *didn't* agree with the text books answers then we knew they were probably right!

ReputationRep:
    lol, it's been amusing reading your responses, about the terrible text books.
    I think in the S1 exam I took, there was a bit of Pure maths in it, which i find ok, but i dare say a lot of ppl who took pure lastyear dropped it, and are only continuing Statistics, and so probably didn't like it. Whoever said about learning formulas, I believe is right. I think S1 there was more thinking to it, especially the CONDITIONAL PROBABILITY , PERMUTATIONS/COMBINATIONS, and I struggled with Hypothesis Testing at first, due to the lack of good examples in the text book!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    obviously s2 isn't easier than s1, but the gap from GCSE stats to S1 is a lot bigger than the gap between s1 and s2.
    According to my teacher he reckoned that 75% of S1 was GCSE Higher Maths, but of course he doesn't teach the subject at A-level...so probably didn't know what he was talking about. Nevertheless, there was a bit about Data Representation and Sampling techniques, the most tedious parts, that was GCSE stuff, but sometimes because it's so easy, I found I did crap on 'draw a suitable diagram'.

ReputationRep:
    firstly what does MEI stand for and secondly can someone help me with a probability question

http://www.uk-learning.net/t47143.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    firstly what does MEI stand for and secondly can someone help me with a probability question

http://www.uk-learning.net/t47143.html
    Mathematics in Education and Industry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like stats...and i always thought that i struggled with s1, but i tend to get higher marks in stats than in mech.

Now i'm not sure whether to go for m2 or s2 next year... how bad is m2 compared to s2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljosh)
    I don't really like stats...and i always thought that i struggled with s1, but i tend to get higher marks in stats than in mech.

Now i'm not sure whether to go for m2 or s2 next year... how bad is m2 compared to s2?
    M2 way harder in my opinion....
    S2 is comparitively easier than S1...but the exam today was way harder than my S1 exam :confused:

ReputationRep:
    yea todays s2 was a ***** - it's cos they werent expressley saying which distribution to you, and so i couldnt think of the parameters i need to use in any of them - GRRRR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    yea todays s2 was a ***** - it's cos they werent expressley saying which distribution to you, and so i couldnt think of the parameters i need to use in any of them - GRRRR
    exactly!! and the wording of some of the questions was appaling!
    PLUS there were quite a few explain answers?! eugh

ReputationRep:
    yea that question which said "Use the possion distribution to find the expected frequencies correspondign to the given frequencies" - i was like "WTF!?".

I hope that what it was asking you to do is use the possion distribution to predict the frequencies, and then compare those to the actual frequencies and see if it's a good fit!

What did others do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    yea that question which said "Use the possion distribution to find the expected frequencies correspondign to the given frequencies" - i was like "WTF!?".

I hope that what it was asking you to do is use the possion distribution to predict the frequencies, and then compare those to the actual frequencies and see if it's a good fit!

What did others do?
    yeh I did that....and found it was a good fit....did u get that??
    did you get the last bit...show something or antoher = 66p?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just happy that s1 today was so much better than m1 on wedn...

Now you can understand why so many people were in a rage on wedn... we've had a very badly structured paper... q1 was a dier...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maljosh)
    I'm just happy that s1 today was so much better than m1 on wedn...

Now you can understand why so many people were in a rage on wedn... we've had a very badly structured paper... q1 was a dier...
    Question 1 on M1 was all show that questions. Unfortunately, if you didnt get the answers to the previous questions, then you had no chance with the part iii) onwards. I think a lot of people worked in decimals too, which not only shows lack of understanding and accuracy, but means that you dont get the answers in the form that the question asked for.
    Most ppl i spoke to found that question hard tho.

ReputationRep:
    I used to like the 'Show that questions' (in Pure), because you'd know if you'd done it right or not! I thought the S2 paper was OK, and I know ppl keep saying "It's nothing like the Past Paper's I've done," but with maths its about logic, so you can't always rely on something from the past, dare I say.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.