The Student Room Group

Transferring uni in the second year?

I have already started my first year at Sunderland University studying Graphic Communication and Design but I'm considering changing universities in the second year and moving to DMU. However, I don't want to start first year again so is it possible to continue doing the same course from the second year at a different university?
I was wondering the same thing. I think you'd need to contact the university you want to transfer to, and check they'll accept you, then apply through ucas putting your point of entry as year 2. Should be okay if the courses are similar enough.
Reply 2
As above, it depends on your target uni and course.

The first year of your degree is meant to give you a base set of knowledge which will underpin your second and third years. Every uni can set its own module content, so just because the degrees have the same name, doesn't mean that you'll be learning the same things at every uni which offers it. You won't be able to transfer into the second year of a degree, if your first year elsewhere didn't prepare you for the new course.

Secondly, transfers will be at the discretion of your target uni. Some will insist that you meet their initial A Level entry requirements, so if you didn't have the grades to get in to begin with, you might not be considered for a transfer later. Some will accept you regardless of A Level grades, but will expect a good result from your first year at your current uni. Some courses will be full and there won't be room for you to transfer, even if you have the grades. A handful of unis/courses won't consider transfers at all.

The only way to know whether it's feasible, will be to contact the Admissions Office of your target uni and ask. It might be a good idea to do it soon as they might say no straight away, meaning that you won't waste your first year planning for something which will never happen. If they have an entry requirement based on your first year result, then you will know what you're working towards. They won't contact your current uni until you formally apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending