Inquiry into assessing the quality of Higher Education - Have your say

Watch
Official House of Commons
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi Everyone!

The Business, Innovation and Skills Committee have launched an inquiry into quality assessment in Higher Education and they want to hear your thoughts.

The inquiry looks into proposed changes to quality assessment in universities and the potential impact of introducing a Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).

Their particular areas of focus are

What issues with quality assessment in Higher Education was the Higher Education Funding Council for England's Quality Assurance review seeking to address?

Will the proposed changes to the quality assurance process in universities, as outlined by HEFCE in its consultation, improve quality in Higher Education?

What should be the objectives of a Teaching Excellence Framework?
a. How should a TEF benefit students? Academics? Universities?
b. What are the institutional behaviours a TEF should drive? How can a system be designed to avoid unintended consequences?
c. How should the effectiveness of the TEF be judged?

How should the proposed TEF and new quality assurance regime fit together?

What do you think will be the main challenges in implementing a TEF?

How should the proposed connection between fee level and teaching quality be managed?
a. What should be the relationship between the TEF and fee level?
b. What are the benefits or risks of this approach to setting fees?

This is your chance to get involved in the work of Parliament. The Committee would really value your thoughts. Comments can be submitted formally through the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee webpage or informally via this forum thread.
Rep:
?
The Business, Innovation and Skills Commons Select Committee is taking evidence today from representatives of leading Universities on assessing the quality of Higher Education. Watch proceedings from 9:15am.

Witnesses

At 9.15 am
Professor Simon Gaskell, Chair of Universities UK quality assessment task and finish group and Treasurer, Universities UK
Alistair Sim, Director, Universities Scotland

At 10.00 am
Katie Akerman, Director of Quality and Standards, University of Chichester
Professor Neil Ward, Pro Vice Chancellor - Academic, University of East Anglia
Professor Colin Riordan, Vice Chancellor, Cardiff University
Professor Graham Virgo, Pro Vice Chancellor for Education, Cambridge University
Professor Belinda Tynan, Pro Vice Chancellor (learning and teaching), Open University

You can watch live or catch-up on Parliament TV.

Attached files
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Official House of Commons)
Hi Everyone!

The Business, Innovation and Skills Committee have launched an inquiry into quality assessment in Higher Education and they want to hear your thoughts.

The inquiry looks into proposed changes to quality assessment in universities and the potential impact of introducing a Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).

Their particular areas of focus are

What issues with quality assessment in Higher Education was the Higher Education Funding Council for England's Quality Assurance review seeking to address?

Will the proposed changes to the quality assurance process in universities, as outlined by HEFCE in its consultation, improve quality in Higher Education?

What should be the objectives of a Teaching Excellence Framework?
a. How should a TEF benefit students? Academics? Universities?
b. What are the institutional behaviours a TEF should drive? How can a system be designed to avoid unintended consequences?
c. How should the effectiveness of the TEF be judged?

How should the proposed TEF and new quality assurance regime fit together?

What do you think will be the main challenges in implementing a TEF?

How should the proposed connection between fee level and teaching quality be managed?
a. What should be the relationship between the TEF and fee level?
b. What are the benefits or risks of this approach to setting fees?

This is your chance to get involved in the work of Parliament. The Committee would really value your thoughts. Comments can be submitted formally through the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee webpage or informally via this forum thread.
If you want meaningful and useful responses from TSR you need to explain the current system (and how it affects students) and the proposed TEF (and how it affects students).

This consultation is targeted at the HEI sector and so you wont get a student point of view without making the subject matter more accessible and student focused.

For example - there's the proposal for the TEF to include graduate salary data derived from HMRC records. This has a direct impact on students and graduates as their private tax records will be placed (albeit aggregated) into the public domain. It could be argued that the benefits for future students outweigh the costs to current and past students but that would need to be backed up by evidence (particularly evidence that salary data from graduates of a specific degree is likely to correlate to the salary of graduates due to start on that degree 4/5 years down the line - otherwise you're making salary data public with no proof that it has any bearing on the employment prospects of potential applicants).

Edit: another example of areas for concern for students is around the current regulation around private providers and how the TEF would change that.
Rep:
?
Hi PQ,

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately, we are unable to post on topics not covered by the remit of House of Commons Business. This means we cannot post detailed information on either the current system or the proposed Teaching Excellence Framework.

While the inquiry is targeted at higher education, students from all university backgrounds and modes of study are invited to contribute, and use the inquiry to voice any concerns.

We sincerely hope that students contribute to the inquiry.

Many thanks,

Rachel.

---

I'm the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I work in the Digital Outreach team (DOT). We do not work for or represent the government. We are politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. To find out more about what we do or get involved with parliament visit our outreach page or follow us @UKParlOutreach.
Rep:
?
Today the Business, Innovation and Skills Committee took evidence from staff and student representatives, sector representatives and a panel on using metrics to assess quality for its inquiry on assessing the quality of Higher Education.

Witnesses

The Committee heard from:
  • Megan Dunn, President, National Union of Students
  • Sally Hunt, General Secretary, University and College Union
  • Professor Jon Scott, Pro Vice Chancellor (Student Experience), University of Leicester
  • Stuart Cannell, Student reviewer with the Quality Assurance Agency QAA
  • Professor James Wilsdon, University of Sussex
  • Matt Hiely-Rayner, Head of Planning, Kingston University
  • John Gill, Editor, Times Higher Education
  • Nicki Horseman, Lead HE Data Analyst, Times Higher Education
  • Professor Joy Carter, Vice Chancellor, University of Winchester and Chair of GuildHE
  • Professor Dave Phoenix, Vice Chancellor of London South Bank University and Chair of million+
  • John Widdowson, Principal of New College Durham and President of the Association of Colleges
  • Professor David Maguire, Vice Chancellor of the University of Greenwich (on behalf of University Alliance)
  • Professor David Eastwood, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Birmingham (on behalf of the Russell Group)
Watch the session on Parliament TV.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
I have absolutely no idea what you'e asking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (27)
17.31%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (49)
31.41%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (15)
9.62%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
10.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.49%
I think it's an unfair expectation (39)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.92%

Watched Threads