The Student Room Group

9-5 Economic Slaves

Do you think anyone can be truly happy working 9-5, creating someone elses dream rather than their own?

Many people spend their lives not doing what they want to do and what truly makes them happy. Is that ok?

http://www.isaaclowton.com/blog/money-time
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes, happiness doesn't solely depend on the hours you work.
Original post by CheetahCurtis
Yes, happiness doesn't solely depend on the hours you work.

I was more talking about not having economic freedom and working toward someone else's (your boss) dream instead of your own.
Original post by Zaclowton
I was more talking about not having economic freedom and working toward someone else's (your boss) dream instead of your own.

Working for yourself = heaven.
Reply 4
Do you think anyone can be truly happy working 9-5, creating someone elses dream rather than their own?

http://www.isaaclowton.com/blog/money-time

Yes.

A salary to me is simply a means to an end so that I can invest and retire. It doesn't stop me doing things that I love and indeed it allows to me to purchase plants ECT.. For gardening (something I enjoy).

If you blame your career for making you depressed then you should go for another job. It may pain the Oxbridge graduate to hear, but he may be happier so selling clothes than working a 50 corporate job.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Working for yourself = heaven.

Das it mane.

I think that knowing you are fully in control of your destiny and economic circumstances has to be one of the best feelings in the world. Just chasing it now

Still yes. I think a lot of people's dreams aren't solely dependent on monetary wealth or their work lives, if they are then that's very sad for them.
Original post by Rakas21
Yes.

A salary to me is simply a means to an end so that I can invest and retire. It doesn't stop me doing things that I love and indeed it allows to me to purchase plants ECT.. For gardening (something I enjoy).

If you blame your career for making you depressed then you should go for another job. It may pain the Oxbridge graduate to hear, but he may be happier so selling clothes than working a 50 corporate job.

But why wait for retirement to be truly fulfilled?

Why waste nearly 50 years working on something that is just a 'means to an end'? Lets take your gardening example, wouldn't you rather make money doing gardening than just spending your spare time on it after doing something else all day?
Original post by Rakas21
Yes.

Lol this is what I plan to do.

The reason I would like to be rich isn't so that I could have a big mansion, 5 cars, the newest most expensive watch, a private jet or anything like that. I just want the freedom that comes with not having to stress about stupid things like a job and doing what I want to do whenever I want to. I really have no wish to do 'great' things in life, I just want to listen to music, watch TV, read books, go walking, roller skating, swimming on the beach etc. A 9-5 life is slavery and I plan on savings lots so that I can retire early, instead of spending money on material things. I just want to be lazy. :h:
Original post by CheetahCurtis
Still yes. I think a lot of people's dreams aren't solely dependent on monetary wealth or their work lives, if they are then that's very sad for them.

Again, I don't see it as being about 'wealth'.

Being free economically means you've got both the time and the money to do things you love instead of either JUST time or JUST money. If you want to spend over a third of each day doing something that isn't your true purpose then that's a sad way to live.
Original post by driftawaay

The reason I would like to be rich isn't so that I could have a big mansion, 5 cars, the newest most expensive watch, a private jet or anything like that. I just want the freedom that comes with not having to stress about stupid things like a job and doing what I want to do whenever I want to. I really have no wish to do 'great' things in life, I just want to listen to music, watch TV, read books, go walking, roller skating, swimming on the beach etc. A 9-5 life is slavery and I plan on savings lots so that I can retire early, instead of spending money on material things. I just want to be lazy. :h:

That's really exactly what I'm talking about, economic freedom doesn't mean having loads of money, it means having time to enjoy your money. If you create a life where your work fulfils your heart and your purpose then isn't that the perfect life?

Why waste any time 'just saving money' so you can retire early? For those years you're grafting for someone else you could of been working on your own dreams.
Again, I don't see it as being about 'wealth'.

Being free economically means you've got both the time and the money to do things you love instead of either JUST time or JUST money. If you want to spend over a third of each day doing something that isn't your true purpose then that's a sad way to live.

And when you tell people that you don't have time to have a life once you get a job, they say things like 'But you get FIVE weeks of holiday a year!!'

You mean as opposed to the FIVE AND A HALF MONTHS holiday I have at uni now? Bye.
Das it mane.

I think that knowing you are fully in control of your destiny and economic circumstances has to be one of the best feelings in the world. Just chasing it now

Whole of society is set up to turn you into a debt slave. Remember that.

It's a tough path to take but once you make it. It's really worth it!
But why wait for retirement to be truly fulfilled?

Why waste nearly 50 years working on something that is just a 'means to an end'? Lets take your gardening example, wouldn't you rather make money doing gardening than just spending your spare time on it after doing something else all day?

Well ideally if money were no constraint I'd own a number of businesses including some revolutionary ones relating to space and biology so gardening would still be a hobby rather than a career.

Since I'm being realistic though, I'm fairly happy working to buy a house, educate my family and eventually retire on a good income.
That's really exactly what I'm talking about, economic freedom doesn't mean having loads of money, it means having time to enjoy your money. If you create a life where your work fulfils your heart and your purpose then isn't that the perfect life?

Why waste any time 'just saving money' so you can retire early? For those years you're grafting for someone else you could of been working on your own dreams.

I dont have any 'dreams' other than not having to work. I dont have an interest in working for myself, I dont want to work at all. :h:

Exactly the same for me. Even when you flaunt money people treat you differently. So fake. I'd rather keep developing myself.
And when you tell people that you don't have time to have a life once you get a job, they say things like 'But you get FIVE weeks of holiday a year!!'

You mean as opposed to the FIVE AND A HALF MONTHS holiday I have at uni now? Bye.

So why would you want to get a traditional 'job' for any period of your life? even if it is to just save money and retire, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to retire early unless you're earning £200k for 10 years straight out of uni.

Why not craft your own life now and work on something you truly love?
So why would you want to get a traditional 'job' for any period of your life? even if it is to just save money and retire, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to retire early unless you're earning £200k for 10 years straight out of uni.

Why not craft your own life now and work on something you truly love?

As I said, I dont have something 'I truly love' to work on. I dont want to work.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Whole of society is set up to turn you into a debt slave. Remember that.

It's a tough path to take but once you make it. It's really worth it!

I won't be truly fulfilled until i'm working for myself and am the master of my own circumstances, so you best believe i'll make it happen.
As I said, I dont have something 'I truly love' to work on. I dont want to work.

What a sad attitude. Why are you at uni then? For the ****s and giggles? Unless you've got rich parents, you're going to have to work, so get used to it. You've got the kind of attitude that's going to land you in a 9-5 office job for 40 years, so good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending