Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    other than the obvious divorce of England from the rest of the UK and (possibly?) Europe
    They're for a partial integration with Europe:

"The EDP favours European co-operation and trade but not a European political entity"

ReputationRep:
    I didn't vote because I, stupidly, am not registered. Was never sent anything about it, I only turned 18 in December and the elections sort of crept up on me and I don't know how to do it. Anyone tell me how I can get on the electoral role for next time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    It would be sensible of me to go onto their website and see their actual policies, but it'd be easier for me to simply call you a racist...(JOKE)
    I realise you were only joking, but from the following extract from their website, they don't seem remotely racist:

"The people of England are all those UK citizens who live in England. In electoral terms, the people of England are all those UK citizens who are on the electoral roll of an English constituency. The people of England therefore includes the people of many nations, all of whom share a common UK citizenship."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    I haven't voted and for good reason, I would like to think that my witholding of my vote counts as much as if I gifted it to somebody who didn't deserve it. Im very politically aware, but I just don't have too much belief in the political system.

Why I didn't vote:

Labour: Fuzzy European policies, U turn on referendum, Blair & Iraq X
    Tories : A failing party with no policies of its own. Opportunistic sad cases without the style to carry anything off, even when gifted with plenty of ammo in the form of the current government X
    Lib Dems: FAR too pro-Europe for me X
    UKIP: A sad little fledgling party taking the protest vote from disillusioned Tories & assorted cardigan wearers X
    Greens: Don't like cars. I do. X

I didn't vote locally because I received no literature through the post from the local candidates and am not prepared to be like the majority & vote on local candidates based on national issues.

I think that you should only vote when you A) Fully understand the policies of the party B) Can agree with the majority of them. I don't care if only 10% vote, thats far better than an ill-informed 90% voting
    i agree with what you say - if only all non-voters were as aware as you! but i think that in some circumstances it is important to vote against parties you don't want in. You don't need to agree with all the policies, more disagree strongly with others.

ReputationRep:
    I voted about quarter to eight in the morning, so there was no probs there, although the polling booths were about as secret as an 100 ft high neon sign saying "Here i am!"

ReputationRep:
    I can't be arsed voting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    yeah same here, i dont even know where the voting place is
    It's usually one of the local schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    yeah same here, i dont even know where the voting place is
    It says it on your polling card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    It's usually one of the local schools.
    yeah wither that or the hall, but which i've no idea...didnt really make an effort to find out
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm afraid I didn't get to the polling station. I usually take the polling cards out with us in the morning and pop in on the drive back home - but yesterday morning I had to rush my cat to the emergency vets before work and so didn't take the cards with me (in the panic I also managed to lock myself out of the house :rolleyes: ). After getting back from work at 6:30pm, making the tea and giving the cat his medicine etc it was 9pm and I was absolutely knackered (having been up since 5am - half an hour earlier than normal) and couldn't be bothered.

Luckily in my area it was only the european elections and not a local election so I'm not too worried about not finding the time - still feel a little bit guilty (or will do if the results come out on Sunday as very close).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    oh, lol.....hmm.......theres a thought....where did i put that....
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Amb1)
    They really need to start putting little line maps on the polling cards - it wouldn't be hard and would make life a lot simpler for people new to an area - I'd already printed out a map on multimap to the local polling station but not everyone can do that (and on my estate the school is in the middle of all sorts of windy funny little roads so you couldn't find it easily without a map).

ReputationRep:
    omg why people WHY!? Dont vote there is no point in it.

Voting is politics way of tricking the public into thinking they have a say in these matters. But YOU DONT. Today the parties are so damn similar, and they all say the same thing "More money - less taxes" etc etc, that you really arent expressing you political views through a vote. It's just rubbish. If you want to express your views, do something about it - change the damn world. Voting is there to make people think that what is gonna be done is what everyone wants to be done, but that's rarely the case.

Never vote - it's a waste of time. people who say it's your democratic duty have just been tricked into believing it - it's not democracy at all!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Willa)

Voting is politics way of tricking the public into thinking they have a say in these matters. But YOU DONT. Today the parties are so damn similar, and they all say the same thing "More money - less taxes" etc etc, that you really arent expressing you political views through a vote. It's just rubbish. If you want to express your views, do something about it - change the damn world. Voting is there to make people think that what is gonna be done is what everyone wants to be done, but that's rarely the case.

Never vote - it's a waste of time. people who say it's your democratic duty have just been tricked into believing it - it's not democracy at all!
    It's a pity you feel like that

If you really feel so disenfranchised with the political parties why not run for office yourself instead of opting out of responsibiltiy altogether?

If not what other method do you propose to change the world without involving government.

ReputationRep:
    If i felt i had the organisational skills to run for office - i would, believe me. However i'm just too stupid/lazy. Instead i think not voting is a way of saying to the government that voting sucks, and get a better method in for listening to people's views
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Willa)
    If i felt i had the organisational skills to run for office - i would, believe me. However i'm just too stupid/lazy. Instead i think not voting is a way of saying to the government that voting sucks, and get a better method in for listening to people's views
    And what method do you propose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)

democracy is rubbish, but its the best way we know how.

ReputationRep:
    I never got my postal vote paper. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Such as...?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Such as...?
    Obviously a referendum on every issue is the only answer - ie even more voting :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.