Joshua-P
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!

Does anyone have an A* analysis checklist. What I mean by this is everything to include in a basic analysis paragraph. Most people use PEAZER, but I want to stray away and really get some deep analysis done. What I want is essentially a list of things to tick off that'll help me get that A*, thanks!
MyGCSESubjects
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You shouldn't concentrate too much on English; try to increase your efforts across other subjects as well.
Joshua-P
Rep:
?
(Original post by MyGCSESubjects)
You shouldn't concentrate too much on English; try to increase your efforts across other subjects as well.
What sort of advice is this? I never stated in my post I was struggling with other subjects - I'm achieving A* in most, if not all of them, excluding English. So, naturally, I would focus on English. Furthermore, it is the second most important subject to me after Maths, so I know what to prioritise.
MyGCSESubjects
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you do not go to a grammar school, BTECs don't count.
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What are you talking about?:lolwut:

(Original post by Joshua-P)
Hello!

Does anyone have an A* analysis checklist. What I mean by this is everything to include in a basic analysis paragraph. Most people use PEAZER, but I want to stray away and really get some deep analysis done. What I want is essentially a list of things to tick off that'll help me get that A*, thanks!
What is PEAZER?
You could use PEE and get an A* as long as you hit all assessment objectives and manipulate quotes well. Also refer to the context especially the social zeitgeist. Make your analysis unique. Also try and choose unorthodox but sensible quotes. Be consise and get straight to your point.
aamirac
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
Use PEEE. Then after that look at writer's purpose, the audience perspective and alternative meanings which links into context and possibly a second supporting quote.
Joshua-P
Rep:
?
What are you on about?

(Original post by Mr...)
What are you talking about?:lolwut:

What is PEAZER?
You could use PEE and get an A* as long as you hit all assessment objectives and manipulate quotes well. Also refer to the context especially the social zeitgeist. Make your analysis unique. Also try and choose unorthodox but sensible quotes. Be consise and get straight to your point.
Point
Evidence
Analysis
Zoom in on key words
Effect on the reader
Response

I always try and make my analysis a bit more out of the box but I find it hard to structure it so it makes it coherent
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joshua-P)
Point
Evidence
Analysis
Zoom in on key words
Effect on the reader
Response

I always try and make my analysis a bit more out of the box but I find it hard to structure it so it makes it coherent
PEAZER seems fine tbh, there is no sure fire way to get an A* it's really how you put your point across because a C student can use PEAZER too.
You're probably fine just make sure you sound assured and confident with stylistic writing
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I mean I just used PEE (point evidence explain) and it worked fine...you may be overthinking things. You can get top marks in GCSE English by...
-Knowing well and ensuring to write towards assessment objectives
-Writing well
-Using something like your PEAZER
-Thinking about the text properly

There isn't really a substantial checklist for the actual analysis itself. So long as you have quotes in there, your points sound intelligent, and you are able to address the question it's fine.
Treblebee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
I mean I just used PEE (point evidence explain) and it worked fine...you may be overthinking things. You can get top marks in GCSE English by...
-Knowing well and ensuring to write towards assessment objectives
-Writing well
-Using something like your PEAZER
-Thinking about the text properly

There isn't really a substantial checklist for the actual analysis itself. So long as you have quotes in there, your points sound intelligent, and you are able to address the question it's fine.
My teacher added on an "R" to that to get PEER - point, evidence, explain, reiterate.
But I must say, a personal favourite is the "How hand" method:
-Write the point of the para
-concerning quotes: pick a good bit, pick a small bit
-"Just the facts ma'am" i.e. on-the-surface description of the quote
-Going deeper - in-depth analysis of the quote
-How the author did it, e.g. used similes, used particular words etc.

You could try it, but, tbh, I think quite a lot of methods work, as long as you use them well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (33)
25%
No (99)
75%

Watched Threads