chlolo29
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello I have absolutely no idea how to answer this question for geography, some suggestions would be great thank you!

Outline the formation of hot spots and explain their relationship to plate movement (8 marks)
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not sure whether this answer is too geological (I studied hot spots in A Level geology), but the main points of hot spot formation are:

1) A hot spot is the surface expression of a mantle plume (i.e. a volcano sitting above an area of high heat flow).
2) A mantle plume is a stationary area of high heat flow which originates in the mantle below the Earth's crust. The high heat flow causes partial melting of the rocks in the mantle, forming magma (molten rock).
3) When enough magma forms, it pushes upwards through the Earth's crust and forms a volcano (the hot spot).

I'm not entirely sure what the question means by 'relationship to plate movement', but some points you could mention are:

1) Hot spots form in the middle of tectonic plates, as opposed to at the edges of plates where volcanoes are formed at convergent boundaries (where tectonic plates collide with each other) and divergent boundaries (where tectonic plates move away from each other).
2) The age of hot spot volcanoes increases with distance from the mantle plume which formed them. As the plate moves via sea floor spreading (the process by which new oceanic crust is created as magma is erupted along mid-ocean ridges, pushing the plates apart), the current active volcano also moves with the plate, thereby becoming inactive. However, because the mantle plume is stationary, a new active volcano will start to form in place of the previous one.

I hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (189)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (199)
16.32%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (119)
9.76%
Isolating with family (85)
6.97%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (47)
3.86%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (105)
8.61%
Loneliness (118)
9.68%
Financial worries (52)
4.27%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.3%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (106)
8.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed