F454 project HELP ME PLEASE

Watch
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys I'm in yr 13 doing OCR computing and i have to do the F454 project obviously. Problem is I'm a n00b at coding - barely know how to make loops work. I am going to be doing my project in java, since it was the first language i was introduced to (last year for f452).

I said my project would be a quiz that trains your cognitive skills for year 7s to do during registration or something so they can wake up and get ready for a day of learning. The questions will be randomly selected (dunno how to get them out of a file, let alone randomly 0_0) There will be a picture of a brain (which idk how i'll incorporate into the quiz) , and clicking on the section will give you a quiz that tests the cognitive functions that section of the brain is responsible for.

anyway i'm not confident i can actually do this, what do y'all think? do you think it's possible for a beginner? Any tips/ tutorials you can share? Anyone who's done this project got hacks? If you think it's too hard, what would you recommend instead. I'm almost done with investigation and analysis of current system and interviewing the client so i have to act quick like NOW, i'm gonna fall behind so bad

HELP GUYS
z33
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
anyone?
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's possible, however you will really need to learn how to code in order for this to go well. I'm pretty sure your school will run support classes where you can go to get extra help. As for where you will store your questions, you will need some sort of database where it's all stored. And reading from the database is as simple as

SELECT * FROM questions ORDER BY rand()

But for a beginner this would be just a headache. I'd recommend you start coding as soon as possible so you understand the absolute basics like, variables, loops, functions, classes, sql, arrays, custom data types etc. One major thing you will need to work out is, what framework you're going to use to create a user interface for your Java application, are you going to use Swing, SWT or JavaFX? You still have time but you need to work your ass off.

I did an A-Level Computing Project just like yours last year. I have experience with all of this and I would certainly be keen to help you out, Infact I run a work shop where anyone can drop by and ask me any programming related question.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3144857

Use it if you need, I can help you plan out your project too when I have the time. But please don't make the mistake by thinking I'm here to spoonfeed.
z33
Rep:
(Original post by Async)
It's possible, however you will really need to learn how to code in order for this to go well. I'm pretty sure your school will run support classes where you can go to get extra help. As for where you will store your questions, you will need some sort of database where it's all stored. And reading from the database is as simple as

SELECT * FROM questions ORDER BY rand()

But for a beginner this would be just a headache. I'd recommend you start coding as soon as possible so you understand the absolute basics like, variables, loops, functions, classes, sql, arrays, custom data types etc. One major thing you will need to work out is, what framework you're going to use to create a user interface for your Java application, are you going to use Swing, SWT or JavaFX? You still have time but you need to work your ass off.

I did an A-Level Computing Project just like yours last year. I have experience with all of this and I would certainly be keen to help you out, Infact I run a work shop where anyone can drop by and ask me any programming related question.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3144857

Use it if you need, I can help you plan out your project too when I have the time. But please don't make the mistake by thinking I'm here to spoonfeed.
Hey! Thanks so much for your help
I won't make that mistake I know I have to do all the work myself. But thank you for the support!

I'm fairly familiar with constants, variables and their scopes, loops, select/case statements, loops, functions and procedures and arrays i'm a bit shaky on. I did file writing and reading stuff as well, and did a few programs where i wrote something to a file and read from it into a program. Although i need to go over that to refresh my memory. I learned this stuff during F452 where i used a Java in Easy Steps book and programmed a few simple quizzes etc. I have never linked a database to a program though, and i am aware that classes can be linked and variables from different classes can be used in all of the classes in a project but i don't know how to do that. I'm going to be using netbeans IDE, which allows me to create JFrames (which i have used before to create some sort of calculator, but only with the built in shapes and not a picture/image) so I'm assuming I'll be using Swing for the UI.

That's pretty much the extent of my programming knowledge from last year. I'm happy that you're willing to help me out and I'd appreciate the help I've done the problem definition, and currently working on the investigation and analysis, and developing user requirements, and i've been told programming will start around february time.

Again thank you for the help, i'll be sure to use that thread
Async
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by z33)
Hey! Thanks so much for your help
I won't make that mistake I know I have to do all the work myself. But thank you for the support!

I'm fairly familiar with variables, loops, select/case statements, loops, functions and procedures and arrays i'm a bit shaky on. I did file writing and reading stuff as well, and did a few programs where i wrote something to a file and read from it into a program. Although i need to go over that to refresh my memory. I learned this stuff during F452 where i used a Java in Easy Steps book and programmed a few simple quizzes etc. I have never linked a database to a program though, and i am aware that classes can be linked and variables from different classes can be used in all of the classes in a project but i don't know how to do that. I'm going to be using netbeans IDE, which allows me to create JFrames (which i have used before to create some sort of calculator, but only with the built in shapes and not a picture/image) so I'm assuming I'll be using Swing for the UI.

That's pretty much the extent of my programming knowledge from last year. I'm happy that you're willing to help me out and I'd appreciate the help I've done the problem definition, and currently working on the investigation and analysis, and developing user requirements, and i've been told programming will start around february time.

Again thank you for the help, i'll be sure to use that thread
Sure, even though your programming starts around February, don't wait till then start as soon as you're able to. Yeah Swing is a good option, as for linking a database with your Java application, there are many ways on doing this depending on the approach you want to take, you could use a remote database and access it via a REST API or just install a local database like MSSQL or MySQL. However, I am not your teacher so I don't know what you should or should not do, so do talk to them first.

I could help you further if you could draw like a flow char of how your system will work, that way I have a better idea on what you're doing and advice on the approach I'd take if it were my project.

Also make sure you learn object oriented programming very well.
z33
Rep:
(Original post by Async)
Sure, even though your programming starts around February, don't wait till then start as soon as you're able to. Yeah Swing is a good option, as for linking a database with your Java application, there are many ways on doing this depending on the approach you want to take, you could use a remote database and access it via a REST API or just install a local database like MSSQL or MySQL. However, I am not your teacher so I don't know what you should or should not do, so do talk to them first.

I could help you further if you could draw like a flow char of how your system will work, that way I have a better idea on what you're doing and advice on the approach I'd take if it were my project.

Also make sure you learn object oriented programming very well.
Yep definitely won't be waiting til february as all the students in my class have been programming since they were very young at least year 8 but I only started last year! I will be sure to speak to my teacher about how to link the database to the program. I will get onto the flowchart (bare in mind this is rough because we haven't gotten into our actual programs yet in class) but hopefully it will be done by end of saturday, and i'll PM you if that's okay?

Thanks again!
Async
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by z33)
Yep definitely won't be waiting til february as all the students in my class have been programming since they were very young at least year 8 but I only started last year! I will be sure to speak to my teacher about how to link the database to the program. I will get onto the flowchart (bare in mind this is rough because we haven't gotten into our actual programs yet in class) but hopefully it will be done by end of saturday, and i'll PM you if that's okay?

Thanks again!
yah sure PM me thats no problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.72%
Note taking apps (6)
2.46%
Flashcards (47)
19.26%
Revision guides (15)
6.15%
Past papers (115)
47.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.28%

Watched Threads