Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was on the train leaving from Waterloo at about 6.30 this afernoon when as often happens a beggar came to the head of the carriage (inside) while still in station and gave a little speach about having to get 6 quid for a hostel that night having just missed out on the free place at his local one. Ive seen him many times, they sweep trains in teams and make vast amounts of money. Anybody who commutes is familiar with them and knows the money is going straight to dealers or the off licence and so just waits or him to pass.

However, today, two women sitting next to me (about 40 dressed like 20) who were the IMAGE of the Absoloutely Fabulous women (in age and clothes & way they were talking about fashion) got out their purses and gave the bloke about 3 quid between them. When the beggar passed I said to them, quite politely "You shouldn't give money to them, they're professionals who sweep the trains all day". One of them proceeded to get quite annoyed saying "You cant tell me what to do with my money, I just hope you never need any helP!!!!!!". I was quite taken aback at the reaction from a couple of women who clearly didnt use public transport very often. The naivety of such people who thought that the money they gave would be used for anything other than drugs or booze. Afterwards I wished I hadn't said anything. Was I justified in pointing out what was in fact their support of an illegal activity??? (begging on a train)

ReputationRep:
    totally. dont be put off by their ignorance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    I was on the train leaving from Waterloo at about 6.30 this afernoon when as often happens a beggar came to the head of the carriage (inside) while still in station and gave a little speach about having to get 6 quid for a hostel that night having just missed out on the free place at his local one. Ive seen him many times, they sweep trains in teams and make vast amounts of money. Anybody who commutes is familiar with them and knows the money is going straight to dealers or the off licence and so just waits or him to pass.

However, today, two women sitting next to me (about 40 dressed like 20) who were the IMAGE of the Absoloutely Fabulous women (in age and clothes & way they were talking about fashion) got out their purses and gave the bloke about 3 quid between them. When the beggar passed I said to them, quite politely "You shouldn't give money to them, they're professionals who sweep the trains all day". One of them proceeded to get quite annoyed saying "You cant tell me what to do with my money, I just hope you never need any helP!!!!!!". I was quite taken aback at the reaction from a couple of women who clearly didnt use public transport very often. The naivety of such people who thought that the money they gave would be used for anything other than drugs or booze. Afterwards I wished I hadn't said anything. Was I justified in pointing out what was in fact their support of an illegal activity??? (begging on a train)

No you weren't, it was none of your business really.

ReputationRep:
    You were justified in that you intervened with good intentions don't feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    I get really upset when random people on the street (or in their car) get angry with me. I cant stop thinking about it I know its stupid hence me trying to put my thoughts down here.

ReputationRep:
    I get really upset when random people on the street (or in their car) get angry with me. I cant stop thinking about it I know its stupid hence me trying to put my thoughts down here.
    I used to be like that. I have got over it now and when someone is mean to me I just think, "I bet they've got piles" .

I think I'm becoming quite brave now, I was in London at sandwich place and they asked who was next (and it was me next, but before I would let the shouty person go first) but instead I just said "Yes, I'd like..." and I was so chuffed with myself. Best sandwich in a while (cause I was happy). You have to get the balance between being sensitive to other people and thinking they are totally irrelevant (I'm still working on this)

ReputationRep:
    You're obviously very forthcoming and have good intentions. But you must be careful in what you say to people you don't know, they can often interpret it as being nosey or interfering. Shouldn't be like that, but it is unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    we went out last night and got approcahed by a guy saying his car had been clamped and he needed money for the train to liverpool to get home. we didn't give him any money and sure enough we saw him 10 minutes later in the pub playing pool buying his mate a beer :rolleyes:

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    It was none of your business, you should have kept your mouth shut. If someone said that to me, I'd have probably kicked off too.

Next time, just think "Fools", and be glad you're not that daft.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.