The Student Room Group

Help with A2 english language 'transactional writing ' course work

I have to pick a genre of text to write for my English coursework and write a commentary at the end but I am really stuck with what to do...
My choices to pick from are..travel writing, magazine/newspaper article, report, sport writing, auto/biography, speeches, guides, reviews, adverts, obituaries
I am not interested in sports writing, newspaper articles, or obituaries. I was thinking of doing a film review but then again I'm not sure.
Anyone got any ideas???
Reply 1
If you did advertisements you could look at the more interesting ones like lingerie adverts and talk about persuasive techniques that adverts use in order to make women feel better about themselves, take on a feminist slant in your commentary perhaps, that "wearing this brand of lingerie is fulfilling because it will help you to keep your man"
or you could critique perfume advertisements...

if you're going to do a film review, make it an interesting film review, don't pick something crap like Winnie the Pooh, pick something like Fight Club or something that's violent or controversial to keep it interesting, talk about themes and what grips you.
English coursework has to be interesting, pick something daring, you won't look like an arse, you'll look interesting, its what the exam board and teachers want, something different.
Reply 2
Thank you, this has helped so much! I think I might try an advertisement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest