How can I go about solving this equation?

Watch
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've started my A2 Maths and FM this year. I have not gotten far into the modules, and I'm sure I would be able to solve this equation when I will get through them, but I have been confused to how I can about solving the following equation:

ex = -ln(x)

The log skills from AS are not helpful here very much as they dont allow me to get x onto one side of the equation in order for me to solve it. Anyone care to help me out? Apparently using some sort of numerical methods (perhaps from FP1?) can help, but I would also like to see an algebraic way of doing this.

Thanks
B_9710
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not sure whether you can solve it analytically. I think numerical methods are the way to go.
That's why numerical methods exist
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
I've started my A2 Maths and FM this year. I have not gotten far into the modules, and I'm sure I would be able to solve this equation when I will get through them, but I have been confused to how I can about solving the following equation:

ex = -ln(x)

The log skills from AS are not helpful here very much as they dont allow me to get x onto one side of the equation in order for me to solve it. Anyone care to help me out? Apparently using some sort of numerical methods (perhaps from FP1?) can help, but I would also like to see an algebraic way of doing this.

Thanks
Numerical is the way.
zetamcfc
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you start by graphing the function e^x + lnx =0, then use Newton-Raphson with x1 being 0.25.
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't do FM but can you show a pic of the question please.
RDKGames
Rep:
?
Numerical methods would only approximate the root? Linear interpolation and newton raphson would never give the exact answer as far as im aware, can someone show me how this is done?
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pic?
RDKGames
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vikingninja)
Pic?
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 116
Size:  42.5 KB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (142)
14.34%
I'm not sure (42)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (296)
29.9%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (484)
48.89%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise