The Student Room Group

What phone does everyone have?

Just curious as to what phones we all use. I can never understand why Nokia's are so popular. From my experience (went through three 5210's in little over a month, despite treating them all well) they are hardly reliable and for what they are, they are very expensive.

Compare that to the Siemens M35i I used happily for a long time and still works to this day despite having at least 1 pint of beer knocked over it, and the Ericsson T65 I use now and have used happily without a single problem since buying it over a year ago. Both these phones were cheaper than comparable Nokia phones available at the time.

I've just ordered a new phone, the top of the range Sony Ericsson T610. It cost a mere £30 to upgrade on my contract. A Nokia with a similar spec cost 5 times that.

Why oh why do people keep buying Nokia's?

Ed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Originally posted by Tednol
Just curious as to what phones we all use. I can never understand why Nokia's are so popular. From my experience (went through three 5210's in little over a month, despite treating them all well) they are hardly reliable and for what they are, they are very expensive.

Compare that to the Siemens M35i I used happily for a long time and still works to this day despite having at least 1 pint of beer knocked over it, and the Ericsson T65 I use now and have used happily without a single problem since buying it over a year ago. Both these phones were cheaper than comparable Nokia phones available at the time.

I've just ordered a new phone, the top of the range Sony Ericsson T610. It cost a mere £30 to upgrade on my contract. A Nokia with a similar spec cost 5 times that.

Ed

I've had a Siemens M35i too for about three years, and it's never had a single problem. I've dropped it from my bedroom window (second storey) on to concrete (don't ask how), and it came out without even a scratch! It's very tough, which I think was why I bought it originally. Anyway, I have no need to upgrade so, I think I will stick with this one for the foreseeable future.

I, too, don't understand the ubiquitous attraction to Nokias ... they seem to break very easily; my dad's had about five different Nokias from work and they get scratched and chipped with minimal effort, and the screens scratch very easily too, not to mention two of them where the battery kept falling off of the back, and had to be held in place with tape or something if you wanted to use it. Thankfully they were company phones, so the company just kept replacing them, but they don't seem to get the idea that maybe they should stop using Nokia...
ive got a nokia 3330, had it for nearly 2 years and it still works perfectly??? ive droped it loads and its never broken?? once im 18 (4 weeks 2morw) im gonna change to a contract with a new nokia. i hate all the other brands coz theyre just so ugly!

love Katy ***
Reply 3
I also have a nokia...a good old 3210- (I feel no need to upgrade...it has the basic functions I need :P) and it has never broken before despite being thrown about a bit *oops!* ...I've had it a good few years now and got it free (second hand though) by exchanging it with my friends old broken (not nokia!) phone when my dad's company were upgrading- so no costly prices for me!

I don't have it because it's a nokia...I have it coz I didn't have to pay for it :P...but I must say I like the style of nokias

a phone is a phone is a phone

Egan

one word..... snake!!

jus kiddin, no i dunno either, they are ok but no where near as cool as sony or the ones with cameras etc.
Reply 5
I hardly use mine, don't know why I have it, lol.
Reply 6
Originally posted by ickle_katy
ive got a nokia 3330, had it for nearly 2 years and it still works perfectly??? ive droped it loads and its never broken?? once im 18 (4 weeks 2morw) im gonna change to a contract with a new nokia. i hate all the other brands coz theyre just so ugly!

love Katy ***

Go look at a Siemens SL55 then come back here and say its ugly... I dare you! Or a Siemens S55, or a Sony Ericsson T610, or T310, or a Samsung V200 for that matter.

Nokia's look fine enough, thats before people start putting Winnie The Pooh covers on them.

Do you only buy a phone because of its looks?

Ed
Like Egan I have a 3210.

Do you remember when Cola-Cola (I know I spelt it wrong!), did a phone giveaway with can pulls? Well, that was my first phone until my best friend baby adopted bro shoved the ariel in his gob.

I don't see the point of getting a new phone. This one sends txt messages and phones people which is what a phone is supposed to do.

I'm sticking with my Pooh Bear Nokia, I mean what is the point of WAP or Picture Messages? It is just an excuse to buy more phones and give the phone companies more dosh.

And that's another thing Picture Messages! Until you have a friend which has a compatable phone then there is no point. But there is a point for companies people update their phones so they can be like their friends - Its stupid.

EDIT - Reasiled I gained a brother!!! He's not Mine!!!!!
Reply 8
I don't get how it's like everyone's obsessed with their phones, heh.
yes i buy a phone just coz of the way it looks! they all do practically exactly the same thing, i have everything i want tex,phone book,calculator and wap - in a phone that looks cool with or without my winnie the pooh cover!!

the Siemens SL55 is ugly. my friend is having one next week and i think its discustin. :P

love Katy ***
Reply 10
Originally posted by Moonshine
I don't see the point of getting a new phone. This one sends txt messages and phones people which is what a phone is supposed to do.

Exactly my point...

Originally posted by Nylex
I don't get how it's like everyone's obsessed with their phones, heh.

I have one...I am not obsessed with it though- I have it because it's practicle - 'hey dad- come and get me!!!' type of thing...and also if I want to ask my friends something when they are not online/at home etc ...mainly I use it for time though (must find a nice watch- must!)...it's a multypurpose object!
I think some people can't leave them alone because they think using them makes them look 'popular' ...there is a girl who is in the year below that walks home talking on the phone to her mum who is just coming up the road to meet her *why?*...tis a sad world

*egan's phone starts ringing in annoying melody* 'sorry all must go that's mum on the phone she wants me to go help her in the kitchen...chow darlings' *shiver*
Reply 11
I'm not obsessed by phones. However, I personally do have a use for a few of the newer technologies. Of my mates, I'm one of the few people without a picture phone. Maybe I'm in the minority, or maybe it's because for some reason lots of my mates parents are senior execs in mobile phone companies. Whatever the reason, I'd have a use for a newer phone. But most importantly, my gf has MMS and we live 2 hours apart and only see each other once every 2 weeks or so... both having camera phones could be interesting if you get my drift.

Then there is the phone book. I have 234 contacts. My current phone can hold 250 numbers... so unless I fancy deleting family and friends I need a new phone. And who couldn't do with more space for text messages.

Am I the only person who travels by train regularly? I'm sure I'm not. I'm sure you all know what its like sitting on the platform seeing your train get later and later. And after a year, well I'm fed up with playing tetris on my phone. Some new games would be nice.

Being obsessed with phones doesn't come into it.

Ed
Reply 12
And who couldn't do with more space for text messages.

True true...but is that to do with the phone or the sim card? Prob the phone...blah!
Reply 13
Originally posted by Moonshine

Forgive me for finding your message slightly hypocritical. Quoting you, phones were designed for phoning people. Yet you happily accept text messaging as being a perfectly valid use of a phone.

I'd put money on in a few years time, you finding picture messaging and WAP just as indispensable.

Ed
I have nokia 3510i, its probably one of the best phones i had although i have only had it for 2 or 3 months, there have been no problems at all! :smile:.
Reply 15
(I realise that was directed at Moonshine but I have similar-ish views so...) Perhaps and I daresay I would find having such things fun- well I picture messaging anyway...however I am not prepared to spend £*** quid every time a new model comes out (avec whatever new and improved feature/s) when the one I have works perfectly well...
hey since this is a phone thread, i might as well post something that i dont understand about wap. The thing is every time you go on wap it is meant to charge you however every time i go on wap to check email etc and go on various wap sites and even download, it never charges my phone. I have the O2 pay as you go scheme, is that something to do with it? I never bothered phoning up O2 to find out whats the problem because its not actually a prob as i am getting free wap time.. But i am just curious.
Reply 17
I wouldn't spent £'s on a new phone either. Hence, I persuaded my dad to pay for a contract. Mine is £20 p/m and I very rarely go above that, I get loads of inclusive minutes, text messages and WAP minutes.

But best of all, every year you can upgrade your phone at hugely subsidised prices (as with most contracts). I spent £30 on a new phone which costs £200+ on Pay As You Go.

When I was on Pay As You Go, the most I spent on a phone was £120.

Ed
Reply 18
Originally posted by ƒlå®è®
hey since this is a phone thread, i might as well post something that i dont understand about wap. The thing is every time you go on wap it is meant to charge you however every time i go on wap to check email etc and go on various wap sites and even download, it never charges my phone. I have the O2 pay as you go scheme, is that something to do with it? I never bothered phoning up O2 to find out whats the problem because its not actually a prob as i am getting free wap time.. But i am just curious.

Might be able to answer that, seeing as my little bro had the same thing going on. Do you have the 02 thing where you have to top-up by £10 a month? And then you get 300 free text messages? Because if you do, you also get 300 free WAP minutes.

If not, then sorry mate can't help.

Ed
Reply 19
That deal sounds good...my friend had it for a long time and I thought it might well be worth while...but then I havn't really been using my phone much recently anyway so it prob wouldn't be worth it for me at the mo...

Latest

Trending

Trending