Student, 17, hanged himself after being falsely accused of rape. Watch

BruceJender
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ivybridge)
Just because disgusting things like this happen doesn't mean that rape culture doesnt exist - it does.
Rape culture is

"a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture, women perceive a continuum of threatened violence that ranges from sexual remarks to sexual touching to rape itself. A rape culture condones physical and emotional terrorism against women as the norm . . . In a rape culture both men and women assume that sexual violence is a fact of life, inevitable . . . However . . . much of what we accept as inevitable is in fact the expression of values and attitudes that can change" (http://www.wavaw.ca/what-is-rape-culture/)

"a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women[...]"
---

This already blows itself apart. No one and nothing is encouraging "male sexual aggression". No one is supporting "violence against women". (IN THE WEST). These attitudes only occur in regions and countries where true patriarchal institutions exist, i.e Iran, Irak, Saudi Arabia, etc...

In the West, women are amongst the most priveleged of all.

In summary, Rape Culture does not exist in the West.
ivybridge
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
How does it exist exactly?
How does it not? I think the phrase needs redefining though. I think it is stupid to pretend that rape is something society views as okay and normal. It's like with a lot of fundamental feminist ideas - they are either too one thing or too another.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
And? Is feminism impervious to criticism now? Is it sacrosanct?

I didn't make this personal. My name was dropped into this thread in a manner that singled me out for criticism, I was then lambasted, as a person, for no apparent reason. My points weren't addressed, I was addressed.

And here you are, again, appeasing this behaviour. Bravo.
No feminism can be criticised, but this thread has nothing to do with it. It is about the young guy that took his own life.

You clearly made this thread so that you could attack feminism with this story which is utterly ludicrous.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Sources?

You are talking about the act of rape. Actually raping people is not the only thing that constitutes 'rape culture'.
So, other definitions other than the precise definition of rape constitute 'rape culture'? Uh-huh, what? Sexual objectification? There's a litany of that by women against men, too. I can provide you with masses of examples.

What, stare rape? That was used in a recently compiled report which came out with a headline statistic '1 in 3 women are raped or sexual assaulted on UK campuses.' Anything to demonise men and perpetuate the conditions which lead to boys taking their own lives, eh?

I've given you my sources - The Dept. of Justice and The Home Office.

I think what you mean is that you want a link. I'm not your butler, however I can point you in the direction of this magic invention otherwise known as a search engine.
ivybridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BruceJender)
Rape culture is

"a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women. It is a society where violence is seen as sexy and sexuality as violent. In a rape culture, women perceive a continuum of threatened violence that ranges from sexual remarks to sexual touching to rape itself. A rape culture condones physical and emotional terrorism against women as the norm . . . In a rape culture both men and women assume that sexual violence is a fact of life, inevitable . . . However . . . much of what we accept as inevitable is in fact the expression of values and attitudes that can change" (http://www.wavaw.ca/what-is-rape-culture/)

"a complex set of beliefs that encourage male sexual aggression and supports violence against women[...]"
---
This already blows itself apart. No one and nothing is encouraging "male sexual aggression". No one is supporting "violence against women". (IN THE WEST). These attitudes only occur in regions and countries where true patriarchal institutions exist, i.e Iran, Irak, Saudi Arabia, etc...

In the West, women are amongst the most priveleged of all.

In summary, Rape Culture does not exist in the West.
In summary, you have proved nothing.
A level sufferer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hope she gets what she deserves, alleging of rape should be a crime as it truly causes distress and leads to events such as this case. It truly makes no sense that there is nothing to stop a vindictive woman/man from reporting rape except for common sense; which some people truly lack.
Just a sad situation for the family of the victim as there is no retribution or any lawful consequence for her actions
ivybridge
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
So, other definitions other than the precise definition of rape constitute 'rape culture'? Uh-huh, what? Sexual objectification? There's a litany of that by women against men, too. I can provide you with masses of examples.

What, stare rape? That was used in a recently compiled report which came out with a headline statistic '1 in 3 women are raped or sexual assaulted on UK campuses.' Anything to demonise men and perpetuate the conditions which lead to boys taking their own lives, eh?

I've given you my sources - The Dept. of Justice and The Home Office.

I think what you mean is that you want a link. I'm not your butler, however I can point you in the direction of this magic invention otherwise known as a search engine.
I have a better idea. Let me point you in the direction of this celestial creation called the "sign out" tab.

You look at everything so narrowly that it is pointless even trying to have a debate with you.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How does it not? I think the phrase needs redefining though. I think it is stupid to pretend that rape is something society views as okay and normal. It's like with a lot of fundamental feminist ideas - they are either too one thing or too another.
Define rape culture then.

Society does not deem rape ok and normal. In fact it is deemed as bad if not worse than murder.
BruceJender
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
Completely agree.

This is terrible but it really isn't an opportunity to get one up against feminism. She was a young very stupid girl. And it's really terrible that someone lost their life as a result. This certainly isn't an everyday occurrence.

Sounds to me like you're defending her actions because she's "young" and "very stupid".

And here, it seems like you're undermining the seriousness of the issue. Who cares if it's not "an everyday occurrence". The point is is that a young boy with his whole life in front of him died as a result of a false rape accusation. I don't care if the girl is young and dumb, she needs to face Justice and receive the maximal punishment.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
No feminism can be criticised, but this thread has nothing to do with it. It is about the young guy that took his own life.

You clearly made this thread so that you could attack feminism with this story which is utterly ludicrous.
This thread has everything to do with feminism. Feminism manufactures notions like 'we need to teach men not to rape', it tries to convince the population we live in a 'rape culture' and it manufactures narratives which demonise and pathologise masculinity. It tells us that even when men are raped, they still have more privilege. It tells us that if we see a woman at the side of the road, we should remember not to rape her.

With so many malicious narratives permeating throughout society, is it any wonder young women are so carefree when it comes to making an accusation? They know the world will back them up.

Despite, apparently, rape having nothing to do with feminism (according to you), I have to admit I'm surprised how often feminists talk about it.
BruceJender
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In summary, you have proved nothing.

False, I have proven that Rape Culture in the West doesn't exist.

The consensus in regards to Rape is that it is a dispicable crime at par - sometimes considered worse - with murder.

Does that scream Rape Culture to you?

To quote DiddyDec "Society does not deem rape ok and normal. In fact it is deemed as bad if not worse than murder."
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
I have a better idea. Let me point you in the direction of this celestial creation called the "sign out" tab.

You look at everything so narrowly that it is pointless even trying to have a debate with you.
Perhaps because I'm sick of being s**t on by modern gender feminists who take position aloft mount moral superiority then seek to criticise anyone else when they do the same thing?
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Just because disgusting things like this happen doesn't mean that rape culture doesnt exist - it does.
*******s it does. Rape is not culturally acceptable by any stretch of the imagination. Even the taint of the accusation was, in this case, strong enough to drive a boy to suicide.

Unless you adhere to the increasingly hysterical definitions of some modern feminists, where lads bragging about girls they shagged is indicative of a rape culture.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my view, false accusation of rape is a crime on a similar level to rape itself. Its psychological impact is no less severe, as this story proves.

The accuser therefore should be jailed.
felamaslen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rape culture exists in countries like India and Pakistan, not the UK (unless it has been imported from said countries).
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
Completely agree.

This is terrible but it really isn't an opportunity to get one up against feminism. She was a young very stupid girl. And it's really terrible that someone lost their life as a result. This certainly isn't an everyday occurrence.
So, because it's not an every day occurrence somehow serves to de-legitimise it?

Is this about numerics?
TheTruthTeller
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So sad I'm pretty much his age and could only imagine what he would have gone through.
Female rape allegation= Terrible male, heinous crime (which is exactly how it should be viewed in both cases)
Male rape allegation= Male is a "p**ssy", Gets laughed at, Not a "real" man, Women "can't" rape ..
ForgetMe
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mubmoh)
I'm going to a semi-similar thing.

Recently been reported for sexual harassment while I am completely innocent. Lucky for me it was internally investigated but the outcome was a "final warning" and an apology to the accuser. Funny thing is that they have no evidence. Btw I'm a guy, this case would probs have gone ignored if the genders were switched. I am not going to apologise and informed them that I would rather quit than allow these sanctions to be placed.

It is unfortunate for this death, may he RIP but he chose his death with suicide, no-one hanged him except for himself. He's to blame for his death not anyone else.
Yes, no one hanged him but pushed him to do it. It's not just physical side of it but also psychological, so you can't blame the guy.
BruceJender
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Actually raping people is not the only thing that constitutes 'rape culture'.
Oh please, don't tell me you're one of those people who believe that thinking of rape is raping and consitutes to the 'rape culture' :rolleyes:

Where is the 'Murder Culture', because we've all thought about killing someone at least once and of course, we blame the victim for it all the time. Where is the 'Arson Culture', where is the 'Robbery Culture'?

You're just cherry-picking now, fruitcake.
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I suppose the issue is if the girl doesn't actually recant her statement, it's still she said he said, though of course if there is strong enough evidence she has made up her account, she should be facing years in jail IMO.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads