The Student Room Group

Student, 17, hanged himself after being falsely accused of rape.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by felamaslen
In my view, false accusation of rape is a crime on a similar level to rape itself. Its psychological impact is no less severe, as this story proves.

The accuser therefore should be jailed.

She should receive a Manslaughter jail sentence at the very least. It's her fault the poor kid died.
Original post by Hydeman
I think I'm just about done here. Keep going on like a broken record entitled, Poor, Persecuted Me by TheCitizenAct.

You also seem to have ignored your own advice about not responding to posts that you don't like. Well done.

Oh, man. The tedium continues. Shock horror, It's all about me - again!
Original post by TheCitizenAct
This thread has everything to do with feminism. Feminism manufactures notions like 'we need to teach men not to rape', it tries to convince the population we live in a 'rape culture' and it manufactures narratives which demonise and pathologise masculinity. It tells us that even when men are raped, they still have more privilege. It tells us that if we see a woman at the side of the road, we should remember not to rape her.

With so many malicious narratives permeating throughout society, is it any wonder young women are so carefree when it comes to making an accusation? They know the world will back them up.

Despite, apparently, rape having nothing to do with feminism (according to you), I have to admit I'm surprised how often feminists talk about it.

Feminism is an umbrella term for a whole host of different groups, preaching different messages.

This feminist group in the US got legal definition of rape changed to include men.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2011/10/19/update-major-victory-in-rape-is-rape-campaign/

They aren't all bad people wanting to attack men.
What a vile bitch to do something like this - she's caused someone with their entire life ahead of them to end it all and she's made it so much harder for real rape victims which is almost worse than rape itself. She should be given a very heavy sentence. People need to be taught both not to rape and not to make false rape allegations.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
So sad :frown: I'm pretty much his age and could only imagine what he would have gone through.
Female rape allegation= Terrible male, heinous crime (which is exactly how it should be viewed in both cases)
Male rape allegation= Male is a "p**ssy", Gets laughed at, Not a "real" man, Women "can't" rape ..

There's your inequality. Legally speaking, it's actually impossible for women to perpetrate the crime of 'rape'; offences perpetrated by women fall under the legal classification of 'sexual assault.'

The law should be changed to incorporate 'forced envelopment.' I'd also like to see one single survey - in amongst a mountain conducted on women - which asks young men whether they've ever had sex with a woman while intoxicated (and she isn't intoxicated), whether a woman has ever touched them while they're unconscious (asleep), or whether, like Prince Harry has recently had to deal with, a woman has ever forced a kiss upon them.

I imagine the results would be astronomically high. If you want some insight into the prevalence of 'rape' by women against men, then take a look at this report: http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/NISVS_Report2010-a.pdf

"1.1% of women surveyed in America report being raped in the last 12 months and 1.1% of males reported being 'made to penetrate', with 79% of those forcing them to penetrate being women."
Original post by DiddyDec
Feminism is an umbrella term for a whole host of different groups, preaching different messages.

This feminist group in the US got legal definition of rape changed to include men.

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2011/10/19/update-major-victory-in-rape-is-rape-campaign/

They aren't all bad people wanting to attack men.

I agree. Much in the same way that not every member of The BNP is racist, nor was every Nazi a hater of Jewish people. On this basis, we should condone their (Nazis and BNP supporters) inclination to manufacture maliciousness and prejudices in society.
(edited 8 years ago)
I agree. Much in the same way that not every member of The BNP is racist, nor was every Nazi a hater of Jewish people. On this basis, we should condone their (Nazis and BNP supporters) inclination to manufacture maliciousness and prejudices in society.

Both the BNP and the Nazi party are singular groups.

Feminism is not a single group is made of many different movements such as Femen, Ms (as I already mentioned and you ignored) and many more.

You have managed to get both the Straw Man fallacy and Godwin's Law in there. Bravo.
Both the BNP and the Nazi party are singular groups.

Feminism is not a single group is made of many different movements such as Femen, Ms (as I already mentioned and you ignored) and many more.

You have managed to get both the Straw Man fallacy and Godwin's Law in there. Bravo.

Well, on that basis, 'fascism is an acceptable ideology because not all fascists are like that.' 'Nazi' refers to both a group and an ideology (Nazism).

You don't want to argue logic - fine. However, don't hide behind ludicrous labels and accusations - 'straw man' is third behind 'mansplaining' and 'misogynist' in order of refuges feminists like to retreat to.

It doesn't matter how big a movement feminism is, or whether we're talking about equity feminism, gender feminism, radical feminism, or any other strand, it's all one and the same in as much as it all categorises the male as 'the other', or the perpetual, metaphorical rapist of femininity.

What's worse, like religious loons, they subscribe to an intangible theory otherwise referred to as 'the patriarchy', which belongs to the same intellectual sphere as the argument 'God exists because you can't prove otherwise.'
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, on that basis, 'fascism is an acceptable ideology because not all fascists are like that.'

You don't want to argue logic - fine. However, don't hide behind ludicrous labels and accusations - 'straw man' is third behind 'mansplaining' and 'misogynist' in order of refuges feminists like to retreat to.

It doesn't matter how big a movement feminism is, or whether we're talking about equity feminism, gender feminism, radical feminism, or any other strand, it's all one and the same in as much as it all categorises the male as 'the other', or the perpetual, metaphorical rapist of femininity.

What's worse, like religious loons, they subscribe to an intangible theory otherwise referred to as 'the patriarchy', which belongs to the same intellectual sphere as the argument 'God exists because you can't prove otherwise.'

Fascism isn't necessarily bad. I actually think it could work in some situations.

You presented a clear cut straw man, it is a logical fallacy. It is funny watching how you trying to argue when assuming that I am a feminist.

You are making wild generalisations with absolutely zero evidence. Show me were all feminist groups say that men are the "rapists of femininity".

The Patriarchy idea I do agree is complete lunacy when applied to the west.

And by extension, so is 'Rape Culture'.

Fruitcake didn't want to listen though :frown:
Fascism isn't necessarily bad. I actually think it could work in some situations.

You presented a clear cut straw man, it is a logical fallacy. It is funny watching how you trying to argue when assuming that I am a feminist.

You are making wild generalisations with absolutely zero evidence. Show me were all feminist groups say that men are the "rapists of femininity".

Show me the evidence that all Nazis stated 'Jewish people should be massacred', otherwise I won't believe there was a problem. Now who is perpetrating logical fallacies?

Good God. I just knew you would go as far as to defend Fascism. Either way, it plays back to my original point - within the broader sphere of 'fascism', it's illogical to determine there wasn't a problem simply because a selection of fascists were 'nice.'

I think you accept this but are just arguing a contrary perspective for the sole purpose of being adversarial.
Original post by BruceJender
And by extension, so is 'Rape Culture'.

Fruitcake didn't want to listen though :frown:

Once they are proven wrong they tend to just leave.
Show me the evidence that all Nazis stated 'Jewish people should be massacred', otherwise I won't believe there was a problem. Now who is perpetrating logical fallacies?

Good God. I just knew you would go as far as to defend Fascism. Either way, it plays back to my original point - within the broader sphere of 'fascism', it's illogical to determine there wasn't a problem simply because a selection of fascists were 'nice.'

I think you accept this but are just arguing a contrary perspective for the sole purpose of being adversarial.

You said:

It doesn't matter how big a movement feminism is, or whether we're talking about equity feminism, gender feminism, radical feminism, or any other strand, it's all one and the same in as much as it all categorises the male as 'the other', or the perpetual, metaphorical rapist of femininity

So provide me with the evidence which supports your baseless claim.

What is wrong with defending fascism? It is an ideology which in principal could work.

I don't agree with you at all, that is why we are having this debate.
Reply 73
Original post by ForgetMe
Yes, no one hanged him but pushed him to do it. It's not just physical side of it but also psychological, so you can't blame the guy.

I am probably being bias as I am anti-suicide and pro-life type of person.

Even if you are accused of rape, as long as you know you're innocent should that not be enough to justify your humanity? Not everything is against you. He knew he was not a rapist, his close friends and family most likely believed him when he stated he was innocent, yet he still found justification to end his life on what others (less relevant people in his life) were accusing him of.
Most likely, this accusation was not the sole reason for his death yet just another straw in the proverbial stack. I'm making a bold assumption but he was most probably not happy with his life beforehand and depressed, this just aided his decision to commit suicide.

Suicide is not the same as a natural death, no one kills you when you commit suicide. So how can you justify murder on the accuser? They should be punished for malinformation.(yes I created a word) But trailing them as if they are a murder cannot be justified. Being the last one to add a straw does not mean you created the stack.
You said:

So provide me with the evidence which supports your baseless claim.

What is wrong with defending fascism? It is an ideology which in principal could work.

I don't agree with you at all, that is why we are having this debate.

You've just made the same argument again, and expect me to explain the illogical nature of your argument - again. I refer you to my previous post.

On the basis of your logic, you have no scope to defend feminism as anything without being able to prove - by polling every single person who opts-in to the label - that it's anything. You cannot stipulate what it's not, and I cannot stipulate what it is. Therefore, it is both everything and nothing. Therefore, according to your logic, it doesn't exist. It's illogical.
Original post by mubmoh
I am probably being bias as I am anti-suicide and pro-life type of person.

Even if you are accused of rape, as long as you know you're innocent should that not be enough to justify your humanity? Not everything is against you. He knew he was not a rapist, his close friends and family most likely believed him when he stated he was innocent, yet he still found justification to end his life on what others (less relevant people in his life) were accusing him of.
Most likely, this accusation was not the sole reason for his death yet just another straw in the proverbial stack. I'm making a bold assumption but he was most probably not happy with his life beforehand and depressed, this just aided his decision to commit suicide.

Suicide is not the same as a natural death, no one kills you when you commit suicide. So how can you justify murder on the accuser? They should be punished for malinformation.(yes I created a word) But trailing them as if they are a murder cannot be justified. Being the last one to add a straw does not mean you created the stack.

Yep. I didn't kill you. I just drove you to the bridge, placed you on the edge and told you to jump. Therefore...my responsibility is null and void.

I'm sure when a woman decides to kill herself after she is brutally raped it would be fair to say that it wasn't the rape which led her to commit suicide; it was a pre-existing medical condition which took her most of the way.
You've just made the same argument again, and expect me to explain the illogical nature of your argument - again. I refer you to my previous post.

On the basis of your logic, you have no scope to defend feminism as anything without being able to prove - by polling every single person who opts-in to the label - that it's anything. You cannot stipulate what it's not, and I cannot stipulate what it is. Therefore, it is both everything and nothing. Therefore, according to your logic, it doesn't exist. It's illogical.

I made the claim that feminism is an umbrella term for a wide variety of movements. Which is true.

You made the claim that all the movements say that men are "the others" and "rapists of femininity" which is baseless.

I don't understand where you got the rest of your argument from as it screams lack of comprehension.
Reply 77
Yep. I didn't kill you. I just drove you to the bridge, placed you on the edge and told you to jump. Therefore...my responsibility is null and void.

No, as here you gave me a specific instruction to follow, therefore you are partially responsible. The girl did not "tell" him to put a noose around his neck and tell him to jump. I am not stating the girl is innocent here, but she did not directly cause his death.

I'm sure when a woman decides to kill herself after she is brutally raped it would be fair to say that it wasn't the rape which led her to commit suicide; it was a pre-existing medical condition which took her most of the way.

Keyword: decides. If she decided to commit suicide, she ultimately chose to end her life. It was her decision. Did her rape influence her decision? Maybe so, but at the very end the decision was her wish.
I made the claim that feminism is an umbrella term for a wide variety of movements. Which is true.

You made the claim that all the movements say that men are "the others" and "rapists of femininity" which is baseless.

I don't understand where you got the rest of your argument from as it screams lack of comprehension.

OK, as I'm being made to repeat myself incessantly, I'm going to set the logical fallacy to one side; where was I wrong? All strands of feminism do classify men as 'the other' or as 'metaphorical rapists of femininity'; they all adhere to patriarchy theory.

Patriarchy is the notion of metaphorical rape; it suggests we live in a society which privileges men before women and argues that in this system women are subordinate to men. All strands of feminism ('equity', 'gender', 'radical' and even 'conservative') subscribe to this theory, and it's not exactly a secret. It's the very definition of feminism in every gender studies textbook I've ever glanced through.
OK, as I'm being made to repeat myself incessantly, I'm going to set the logical fallacy to one side; where was I wrong? All strands of feminism do classify men as 'the other' or as 'metaphorical rapists of femininity'; they all adhere to patriarchy theory.

Patriarchy is the notion of metaphorical rape; it suggests we live in a society which privileges men before women and argues that in this system women are subordinate to men. All strands of feminism ('equity', 'gender', 'radical' and even 'conservative':wink: subscribe to this theory, and it's not exactly a secret. It's the very definition of feminism in every gender studies textbook I've ever glanced through.

Fair point.

This debate is no longer entertaining me. I don't care about feminism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending