jemma12
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Heyyy

So I really need some tips please! I really want a good grade in art for AS (mainly because my friends agrees to dress as frozen characters if I get an A). Have any of you got any tips for it please? Any examples please? I know it'll be v difficult though ahh so more tips the better please x
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hey, gonna be lurking on this thread for tips :lurk:
hey fellow AS artist :five:
magr27
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Visit studentartguide.com it is really helpful for students who are doing A level art. It has separate articles for each and every component/unit. It gives amazing tips, even I use it !

Posted from TSR Mobile
amybonnie98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely agree with the above comment! Student Art Guide is such a helpful website and definitely motivates you to work! Art2Day is also a great website, as you can find artists that focus around a particular theme - e.g. if your project was 'cities' there is a sub-section for that of artists whose works focuses around that. The youtube channel '555emms' is also great - she is an amazing art student who has videos of all four sketchbooks across her art A-Level, which will really inspire your work! I definitely recommend keeping up with deadlines, which may sound silly but it definitely helps! At the end of the day though, if you are struggling, always talk with your teacher they are likely to understand that art is stressful and will be willing to help you out. Take a lot of photos - examiners really like to see you creating a piece from primary sources - if you have access to photoshop, its a great idea to develop such photos by manipulating them as it shows development, a key area for marks. If you are going on a trip or holiday - great! Centre your project around that - you have loads of photos to work from and a personal aspect to it to. It is also a great idea to visit galleries or art exhibitions (a great one is art in action - our school was kind of close to it so it was easy to access but I realise you may not be as close! But check out the site!) Another important thing that a lot of people who were in my class missed out on, is annotating. Seriously, annotate everything. Evaluate almost everything you do and build up a communication with you and the reader, you may think your idea is clear but the examminer might not be able to see that. Any thoughts you have on a piece of work is worth writing down! I also generally recommend practicing drawing. It may seem obvious, but at the end of the day you need to have a really good skill in drawing or what other area of art you are studying. Art is definitely one of the hardest subjects to jump to from GCSE to A-Level - the quality of your work has to improve by so much which its often difficult. If your school or local area offers it, take up life drawing classes - it will help you with looking between the source you are drawing from to the paper; or, take a small sketchbook around with you. At the end of the day, it is a fun subject but does involve a lot of work, and the jump is big. However, work hard and you can get that A! I hope this post has been useful - it's just a list of stuff I learnt last year at AS (I achieved an A overall). I have also attached along with this a photo of my work at the end of year art show at our school - its a bit blurry (and not my best work) but hopefully it should give an idea on what sorta thing they are looking for!! Good luck! Name:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  17.8 KB
lous
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My A Level art teacher tells us not to decorate our pages, only if its developing something or experimenting.
Any other sort of decoration purely to make the sketchbook "more interesting" is irrelevant.

Because what is being marked is your ability to reproduce and develop your own artwork, it's a sketchbook not scrapbook.

Some of those examples on studentartguide.com are really bad examples and look amateur, something you would expect a GCSE student to produce. Last year on my previous course a former student came in (who has done a degree in art) and who got D*D*D* overall in BTEC extended diploma. They showed us all 6 of there sketchbooks at degree level and they were full of research, reproductions, process, relevant clippings/sources and photographs. The sketchbook was completely plain (undecorated). But it was all her own work and her understanding and commitment was clear and it was so much more interesting.

Decorating your sketchbook with scrap and stuff is such a waste of time, it doesn't count towards anything and definitely won't be relevant at university level.

Take scrapbooking as a hobby if you like to decorate pages
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (442)
56.31%
I don't have everything I need (343)
43.69%

Watched Threads