Oxford vs. Stanford costs? International Students Watch

cheescake22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a junior in an American high school meaning that it is my third year of high school, one year before I apply to college. I am interested in applying to Oxford University, and I want to know the comparative total cost of attending school at Oxford as an international student compared to an elite American college like Stanford.

My brother attends school at Stanford, and his tuition is around 43,000 US dollars annually. Adding in room and board, the annual cost is 61,000 US dollars. On Oxford's website, they list the cost of undergraduate tuition for international students, but I have heard that different subjects have different tuition costs. I want to study law, does anyone know what the tuition for law undergraduate is? Also, is there a special college fee for international students, or any other special fees? Is it true that Oxford offers one year of accommodations in a college, and students must find their own living places in the following years? If that is the case, how would the cost of living compare to the cost of living at Stanford University?

I know that the cost of tuition is lower at Oxford, but there are hidden costs that I am unaware of about studying abroad as an international student. Those are the details I'm trying to glean here. If anyone could give me a final: International undergraduate total cost at Oxford would be about _______________, or compare it to the 61,000 dollar cost at Stanford, that would be great!
jsMath
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Check this website

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...-jurisprudence

your fees might cost £22,430
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cheescake22)
Also, is there a special college fee for international students, or any other special fees? !
Yes
http://www.ox.ac.uk/students/fees-funding/fees/college

Edit to add: that fee has been included in the above cost of £22,430
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it true that Oxford offers one year of accommodations in a college, and students must find their own living places in the following years? If that is the case, how would the cost of living compare to the cost of living at Stanford University?
I'm not an Oxford expert but I think many (most?) colleges provide accommodation for at least 3 years. But you still have college accommodation fees to pay (on top of the college fee I linked above). I'm sure an expert will be along soon....

Posted from TSR Mobile
J3SS742
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So according to this

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...g/living-costs

the upper end of the living costs is £12894 for 9 months, so at maximum your total cost would be £22430 + £12894= £35324 so in dollars this would be $53528.22 for the year I think

However bear in mind you've got travel fees and other things e.g. student visa to include as well!
cheescake22
Rep:
?
Okay, thank you so much! All the replies are very helpful.
BJack
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The upper estimates of living costs seem to assume a lifestyle that the vast majority of students would consider excessively luxurious. Even the lower estimate is enough for most people.
cheescake22
Rep:
?
(Original post by BJack)
The upper estimates of living costs seem to assume a lifestyle that the vast majority of students would consider excessively luxurious. Even the lower estimate is enough for most people.
That's good to know, thank you. If I do get in, I am only planning on spending money on necessities.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's good to know, thank you. If I do get in, I am only planning on spending money on necessities.
£8-£9k pa would be more like it for living expenses (including rent). Not £12k+.
lolandola
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
doesn't your brother get financial aid? in that case i think stanford would be cheaper (depending on your parents' income bracket ofc), since oxford provides no financial (loan-free) aid.
cheescake22
Rep:
?
(Original post by lolandola)
doesn't your brother get financial aid? in that case i think stanford would be cheaper (depending on your parents' income bracket ofc), since oxford provides no financial (loan-free) aid.
No, he doesn't receive any aid and neither would I so that isn't a consideration for me. It would make no difference on the aid front.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (73)
23.93%
No (232)
76.07%

Watched Threads