The Student Room Group

Please tell me which one and why.

I've got 4 universities to choose from
University of Surrey
Loughborough University
University of Southampton
The University of Manchester

I'm going to be studying mechanical engineering, I was really looking forward to go to Manchester but I recently noticed that they are ranked at the bottom now so id like to know your opinions and to see if they'll help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Ignore rankings. They are nothing more than marketing and they can't tell you if you will enjoy that course or being at that Uni.

Two important things to think about -

Which COURSE interests you most Its the COURSE you study for 3/4 years, not the Uni/city and if the course doesn't interest you its going to be a very long and boring 3/4 years. What 'extras' are there like opportunities for an industrial placement or a study abroad - both appeal greatly to employers.

Have you chosen 5 courses with a good range of grade requirements? The usual recommendation is 'one above your predicted grades, 3 at your predicted grades and one well below your predicted grades'. Lots more advice here on 'How to Avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
Where do you really want to live for the next 3 - 4 years? Look at the course. Not all will be the same.
Look at the city too. Also look for ones that offer placement/industry years as those are what will get you the job at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending