Mayyz1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
During results day I didn't get the grades I wanted or expected, and It kind of ruined my holiday. I'm being predicted:
B - Maths
B - Chemistry
C - Physics
I'm hoping this year with better study techniques and by starting my revision earlier I can get A*AA. I'm just making this Journal to organise myself and keep track of my progress, maybe it can also help others who are in the same situation as me.

So here is my plan:
ChemistryBefore the end of January)
Finish final notes for F321
" " F322
" "F324
" "F324

BiologyBefore the end of January)Finish final notes for Unit 1
" "Unit 2
" "Unit 4
" "Unit 5

MathsBefore the end of January)Finish final notes for C2
" " M1
" " C3
" " C4
" " M2

This includes doing question in the text books, past papers per topic and flash cards. Already as I'm writing this I have come to the realisation I have so much to do. .Fun times ahead.
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
These are the grades I'm on currently from homework and assessments
C3 - A
M1- A
M2 - A
Biology unit 4 - 78%
C2 - E (we have to start from somewhere)
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Update
General
So far I've managed to keep on top of my A2 homework and revisiting my as work. Though it has been so hard and sometimes I feel like giving up, but that goes against my motto, and I've come too far to quit now.
Spoiler:
Show
The best tips that people have taught me is to:
1, Read you note on the lesson you have that day, before and after school
2, Never leave a subject that you don't understand
3, Learn from you mistakes
4, Never give up , give it your all
Chemistry
Because we are doing Unit 5 which is mostly calculations, there was really no jump as I do a level maths
Spoiler:
Show
A tip for chemistry is to get the calculations in as/a level chemistry by Jim Clark which has literally been a life saver. Also reading my notes after lessons helped as well as this guy on YouTube I found called Machemguy
Biology
I'm not going to lie but there was quite a jump in biology, both in terms of the content and the exam questions. However I have managed to cope so far
Spoiler:
Show
The best tip I can give for biology is to read over your note for that day and try to make it into a little anecdotes - a funny story - this helps with things you need to understand. Also in terms of pure memorisation the best tip I can give is to read the cycle, for example glycolysis then try to draw it out from memory- try to do this every week and by the end of the month you should have it ingrained into your brain.
Maths
Maths is going amazingly well now that I know what to do, so I never really felt the jump of as to a2.
Spoiler:
Show
In terms of homework, for maths I found the best way is to look at your notes from class on the subject the homework is based on, then attempting it. If you have problems afterwards go to exams solution and look at the examples in your book for help on the subject then attempt the homework again. If that still doesn't help ask for help from your teacher or a friend. Also always find a way to check if your answers are right whether with the books answer or with the answer of people in your lesson.
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Update
So I have finished my mocks for all the first units we have learnt in lessons apart from M2 which we haven't finished yet

Chemistry: A
My school decided to do unit 5 before unit 4 and I got an A for it which had me pretty happy because it is the largest percentage grade wise
.Looking back at my paper I can see that I need to work on writing half equations and my titration calculations

Biology: A*
For unit four I got an A* which I felt okay about as it was just one mark in and I had been hoping for full ums
.Looking back on my paper I can see that speed was my main problem and that I need to practice doing biology papers 15 minutes before the time limit

Maths C3: B/C
For this I got a B and a C as I had two mocks, which I felt so disappointed about.
.Looking at the paper, it shows that I know the basics of the topics but I need more practice due to silly mistakes. Also I was not used to the level of difficulty in the 2015 paper. I talked to a friend who got an A in the mock for that paper and he told me all he did was Solomon papers, which is what I plan on doing from now on.

Maths M2: B
For this I got a B less than 1 mark away from an A, this was also quite disappointing
.Looking back at this paper, I can tell that I had the came problems with C3, however I really need to work on centre of mass questions
.Also I did not study a lot for this mock, I only revised the night before
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Todays Goal
-Finish C2 notes
-Finish M1 past paper
-Finish reading Biology
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Update
Mechanics
So far from my last post I have managed to finish my final notes for
C2,
C3,
Unit 5 Chemistry

.I have a mock tomorrow on M1, I'm hoping for a high 80% , for that I've done :
>Solomon B paper which I got 78.6% on :
-It was an okay grade considering the fact that I haven't even touched vectors in almost one year which is what really let me down

>Solomon C paper which I did so badly in that I didn't even bother to grade:
-My major weakness in this was vectors
-Another was silly mistakes I made when resolving
-My inability to read the question correctly.
I'll probably redo this paper when ever I have time

>January 2001 which I got 87.9% on (from this point I decided to exclude vectors as it wasn't going to be on the mock. I will have to work on it later).
-For some reason I did not resolve properly and it ended up messing up the whole of question 7, which lost me quite a few marks.

.In general from all the past papers I've done so far I can tell that I need to work on my vectors, reading the question carefully, resolving and assumptions
.I think I'll probably have to make a document on all the questions to do with assumptions that have ever come up.

Chemistry
Unit 4
.I have an IMPA coming up on Friday so I've been reading around the topic and doing booklets on the alevelchemistry website in order to prepare for it.
.So far my practical is sitting on a low B, hopefully I can get it up to a high B or an A with this.
.Hopefully I finish all my revision for it before then
.Also I have a mock for Unit 4, the first week back after Easter on Friday, I'm ******** myself. There is just so much to learn for Organic chemistry.
.But I'm trying to aim for full UMS on that paper as during parents evening my mum rubbed the fact I got an A in my last mock in my chemistry teachers faces, and I'm also not that fond of the myself.

Biology
Unit 5
.All I can say is that Gene technology is long and boring, I've had to use the power points from vbio.weebly.com to get my head around it and I also pestered my biology teacher to give us extra revision classes
.Hopefully I can finish up my notes during the first week of the Easter hols, because the past two weeks I've kind of neglected biology

Core Maths
C4
.So far C4 is kind of hard but it is looking achievable to get an A in this if we finish before the Easter holiday which is not going to happen. So myself and two other friends are going to meet up for a day or two and learn vectors by ourselves.

Also I have received all five offers for the universities I applied for
Glasgow: AAB (Biochemistry)
Warwick: ABB (Biochemistry)
Queen Marys: ABB (Biochemistry)
Exeter: AAB (Natural science)
Keel: BBB (Biochemistry)

.I'm thinking of putting Warwick as my firm but I'm not too sure what I want to put as my insurance
VisibleGenius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you put Warwick as your first choice, you're going to have the trouble as not having an insurance as your insurance and firm will be the same grade.
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
(Original post by VisibleGenius)
If you put Warwick as your first choice, you're going to have the trouble as not having an insurance as your insurance and firm will be the same grade.
I know, but I really like Warwick .
Also I do not really want to go to Exeter as I'm not too keen on their courses structure for Natural science. So right now its between Glasgow (which is quite far) and Queen Mary (where the campus will be too spread out for my taste) and Keel.
.So it looks like I'll just have to work hard to get those grades
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Update
M1
.The M1 mock went well, I finished with 20 minutes to spare so I had enough time to check and redo some of my questions.
.For some reason I seem to do better in official mocks than when I do past papers on my own. I'm expecting around 90% for the mock

Chemistry
.I've practically finished revising for my chemistry IMPA, but I'm going to have to spend all my free time today doing all the booklets I've printed out

General
.I've started making my revision time table for the Easter hols.
.The general overview is that I finish all my notes on the first week as well as do exam papers on C2, C3 and M1, then for the remaining two weeks speed through exam papers.
.Hopefully I finish all my the work I've set out for myself as I generally tend to over plan.
VisibleGenius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mayyz1)
I know, but I really like Warwick .
Also I do not really want to go to Exeter as I'm not too keen on their courses structure for Natural science. So right now its between Glasgow (which is quite far) and Queen Mary (where the campus will be too spread out for my taste) and Keel.
.So it looks like I'll just have to work hard to get those grades
Woops didn't see your keele offfer. I'm guessing that's your insurance?
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Woops didn't see your keele offfer. I'm guessing that's your insurance?
Yes it is. What universities and course have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?
VisibleGenius
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mayyz1)
Yes it is. What universities and course have you applied to if you don't mind me asking?
Bath
Durham
Loughborough
UEA
Kent
All for accounting and finance
UnknownAnon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you retaking? Or did you get those grades for AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Bath
Durham
Loughborough
UEA
Kent
All for accounting and finance
Wow, that amazing. Which university are you going to put as your firm?
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
(Original post by UnknownAnon)
Are you retaking? Or did you get those grades for AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm retaking quite a few of my AS. I did pretty badly last year so i kind of have to if i don't want my AS grades to drag down my whole A level.
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
So i should finish writing up my notes for Unit 1 biology by today and maybe Unit 4 depending on how i feel.
.I think i'll also do C3 solomon A at 7.30pm
.So far since the start of this easter holiday i have:
>Completed most of my unit 1 biology notes
>Finished the M2 solomon A past paper
>Finished the C4 solomon B past paper
>Learnt two thirds of vectors for C4

I'll post the full analysis of the papers i've done so far later. I'm in the too much in the zone right now.
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
Its been a bout two months since my last update, but I've been so busy with revision. its unreal.
I have my first two exams this week for biology unit 1 and C2, I'm kind of excited because I'm getting to the point where I am getting sick of revising for these units especially unit 1 biology as I find it the most boring.
.For biology:
>I've prepared by doing most of the past papers I still have three past papers left to complete for tomorrow and one I want to do to day and give to my biology teacher to mark harshly. Normally after i mark the papers I make flash cards on questions I got incorrect. So far the highest I've got for a past paper is 54/60 :awesome:hopefully I can get that in the real exam :crossedf:

.For C2:
> I've not done as much revision for the past two days so to amend that, tomorrow I will just focus on C2 mainly and not so much on biology because the exam is closer (Wednesday). But I did manage to get 70/75 in a Solomon paper I just did

.Extra:
>I've also started looking over Chemistry unit 2 and 4 because I can't seem to remember the reagents for unit 2 and for 4, I should start blazing through past paper by topics for both of them starting from Thursday after my biology exam. (I'm thinking of treating them a one unit)
> It has been a long time since I've touched C4 and M2, recently in a C4 paper I did, I got a D and in a M2 paper I got a E so I really need to work on them
>I also need to read my notes for bio2, 4 and 5 and start the past papers for the and finish the by topic ones
>I've started revising for unit 5 chemistry but its not concrete, I'm just watching YouTube videos, soon I'll start past papers by topic

.So far things are a bit stressful, but I think I'm used to the stress now.:broken:
UnknownAnon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you feel like you're on track compared to last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
(Original post by UnknownAnon)
Do you feel like you're on track compared to last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kind of and not really. I feel like I know what I need to do now but, it also seems like there is not enough time to get revision for all my exams done in time. For some reason I feel less stressed compared to last year. And in term of past paper grades, I feel prepared for some but not all my exams. I'll probably have to do 10 hours a day from tomorrow (after my biology exam) till my next exam which is after the break.
Mayyz1
Rep:
?
C2 'mock' exam
I just finished the C2 exam, though to be honest it felt more like a mock. It wasn't that hard when compared to the I.Y.G.B papers which are actually disgusting, especially paper S.:afraid:
.But I think that those papers, the Solomon papers and past papers by topics really helped to get me averaging 90-100 ums quickly on the normal C2 papers.
.Overall I found the paper fairly straight forward, I'm expecting at least getting 70/75 and most full marks

Biology
.I have the biology unit 1 exam tomorrow and I feel fairly confident, I have 3 past papers left to do for today and one of them is the 2015 one from last year
.So far I'm just reading through past papers I made of questions I got incorrect or at least lost one mark in on the past paper as well as the 5 markers
.I'm expecting the paper to be incredibly hard to reduce the grade boundaries as almost everyone taking the exam is taking it as a resit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
32.03%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
7.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.56%

Watched Threads