The Student Room Group

Mature Students 2016 University Applicants

Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying/have studied:
Which universities are you applying to:
Which course(s) do you want to do:
Any other info you feel like sharing:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snufkin
Hi mature students, are you applying to university this year? Post and tell us where! :awesome:

What are you currently studying/have studied:
Which universities are you applying to:
Which course(s) do you want to do:
Any other info you feel like sharing:

I start January 2016 at the University of Toronto. I had to re-register but was accepted ten years ago as a mature student. My first course is Classics. I want to major in history, but I'm not picky about which topics in history I want to study. I enjoy reading about history from just about any era. When I did the bridging program to go to UofT, we were studying Canadian History. I didn't have my Canadian citizenship yet (British), but I really enjoyed studying it. So much Canadian history is about immigration and as an immigrant, I could relate to the experience. I'd like to study more of it.
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE (Humanities) distance learning with The Distance Learning Centre; already have 15 distinctions, now just need to bag 30 more haha!

Which universities are you applying to: Cambridge, Kings, UCL, Nottingham, Warwick

Which course(s) do you want to do: Law

Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm going to be 22 in January so may not be as old as others here, but I've had quite a flakey past few years in regards to academia so thought an access course would be a good route, and it is proving to be! So I'd encourage any older people who are thinking of returning to education but are unsure to honestly give it a go. If I can still have the confidence to apply to uni again after dropping out twice in prior years then anyone can, I'm just hoping I don't get 5 rejections :colonhash:
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am studying commerce at India's top college- St. Xavier's Calcutta, which is attached to the Calcutta University. I am running my 5th sem (out of 6). According to Calcutta University, any mark beyond 60% is a first class, and anything between 40 and 60 is a second class. I have a 59, and am pretty confident about pulling it to a 62 by the end of this sem. However, I am applying to Harris Manchester (oxford) for a 2nd undergrad in Theology, and have to submit my present transcripts. How do I tell them that I am on course to achieving a first by the end of the degree. Can I ask my referees to indicate that ?

Also, I have no background in the subject. It is born out of my experience as a journalist. I have watched lectures, and had thousands of informal conversations on theology. How do I model my SOP ?

Thanks.
Hi, I'm applying for Japanese Studies this year, I'm 23, and previously have studied Chemistry (however mental health issues really did a number on me at that time and I chose to leave the course for my own sake).

I'm applying to Newcastle, SOAS, Manchester, Cambridge and Sheffield.
Reply 5
Hi all... I'm back lol.

What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: Social Sciences

Which universities are you applying to: Cambridge, SOAS, LSE, Manchester and Durham.

Which course(s) do you want to do: HSPS / Social Anthropology

Any other info you feel like sharing:I was on the forums last year as I was doing the same course at a different college. I had offers for my first two choices, Cambridge and SOAS but then got ill and fell behind after Christmas (boooo :frown:).I decided to withdraw from the course as it was stressing me out to the point that I probably wouldn't have coped with finishing the year. I re-enrolled at a new college 4 weeks ago and I'm back on track. I'm now 25, and much, much, much more confident about the whole university process as well as my academic skills and the workload. So, fingers crossed!
@aisja and @FogandSpyglass

Very few things are better than ending a week hearing that you two are interested in SOAS!

Hmm, where do I even start! We rank 2nd in the UK in the Times & Sunday for Japanese Studies and our Arts and Humanities programme (which Social Anthropology falls underneath) was actually just named top ten, not just in the UK but in Europe. Good timing applying to SOAS! We've never been more on top of our game than right now and trust me, we're looking to do even better next year. :jiggy:

If you have a question, definitely don't hesitate in dropping me a line. That's what I'm here for. You can either PM me or visit our 2016 application thread where you can meet other SOAS hopefuls, make some friends before you arrive, engage in some banter, or ask any questions!

Here's to you! Hopefully I'll see you joining in the conversation soon! :beer:
~Mike
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: Computing
Which universities are you applying to: Leicester,Lancaster and Newcastle
Which course(s) do you want to do: Computer Science
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 26
What are you currently studying/have studied: I have an A-Level in English and I studied History.
Which universities are you applying to: Open University.
Which course(s) do you want to do: BA (Hons) History.
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 21 years old and dropped out of College in my final year, just before exams due to mental health problems. I applied for an Access Course and couldn't afford it so decided to go for the Open University course.
What are you currently studying/have studied: I completed a degree in Politics and International Relations then did a PGCE a few years ago.

Which universities are you applying to: Leeds Beckett and University of Leeds, Huddersfield and Sheffield Hallam.

Which course(s) do you want to do: Mental Health Nursing.

Any other info you feel like sharing: After my degree(s) I went into teaching for a short while but felt the red tape and paperwork was not worth it and was not I had intended to be a teacher for. I spent very little time in the classroom. Since then I have worked in Mental Health as a Support Worker and OTA and found that mental health is my real passion. So hopefully third time lucky I will have chosen a career I will stick to and enjoy!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: Social Studies and Humanities (60 Distinction credits), A Level English Language and Literature ('A' grade), and Classical Civilisation AS Level (pending: taking the exams in May 2016).

Which universities are you applying to: UCL, KCL, Queen Mary, Goldsmiths, and Cambridge.

Which course(s) do you want to do: BA English.

Any other info you feel like sharing: Very excited to go to university, whichever it turns out to be! And good luck to you all!
Reply 11
What are you currently studying/have studied: Mathematics, Further mathematics and Physics
Which universities are you applying to: Cardiff, USW, UCL, Bath Bristol.
Which course(s) do you want to do: Civil Engineering
Any other info you feel like sharing: Anybody else applied for 2016 entry? I have an interview with Cardiff in December but have no idea what to expect!! :frown: I'm mature ish ( 23) and haven't even stepped foot in a uni before!
What are you currently studying/have studied: Did a degree in Accounting a long time ago - moved into IT - travelled the world - working and living in different countries (6 at last count - 7 if you include the UK) - now back in the UK and have been accepted onto an MSc Software Engineering 2016 in Scotland :smile:

Which course(s) do you want to do: I want to finish the MSc and then hopefully get onto a Phd program in the same area
Any other info you feel like sharing: will be 46 when I finish the MSc - also have signed up to run a half marathon Sept 2016 - try and do one now and again - just to make sure I'm still able to - last one was in Toronto :smile:
What are you currently studying/have studied: BA Fine Art, Central Saint Martins (1 year)

Which universities are you applying to: University of Essex, London Met, South Essex College, Anglia Ruskin

Which course(s) do you want to do: Therapeutic Care or Early Years Education

Any other info you feel like sharing: I want to graduate by the time I am 30 (24 now)
What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE: Social Science

Which universities are you applying to: Warwick, Sheffield, Manchester, Glasgow or Edinburgh and possibly Birmingham.

Which course(s) do you want to do: Politics and Sociology

Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm twenty, turning twenty one just before entry.
Hi!,

What are you currently studying/have studied: I did an access course - English and Psychology
Which universities are you applying? I already have my place (I deferred) at York St John to do Primary education

Any other info you feel like sharing? I will be nearly 25 when I start! But I'm really excited and can't wait to get going :smile:
Has anyone had any Mental Health Nursing interviews / offers yet?

I've applied to Sheffield Hallam, Leeds Beckett, University of Leeds and Huddersfield but not heard from any and its been 3 weeks...

Thanks! :smile:
Hey everyone!

What are you currently studying/have studied: previously studied Sports Rehabilitation
Which universities are you applying to: University of Brighton, Kings College, St.George (tooting) Birmingham
Which course(s) do you want to do: Physiotherapy (Pre-reg)
Any other info you feel like sharing: i'll be 26/27 if i get a place at Uni next year, I have an interview at Brighton on the 18th Nov so just curious to see if anyone else has applied for Physio and if they too have an interview at Brighton?
Reply 18
Hello,

I'm currently studying Access to AHED Health Professions and received 4 offers last week but I am waiting for one more decision.

Uni of Derby - Biology (Conditional offer, 24 merits)
Uni of Derby - Biology and Education (Conditional offer, 24 merits)
Uni of Hull - Biology (Conditional offer, 18 merits in Biology)
Uni of Hull - Marine Biology (Conditional offer, 18 merits in Biology)
Coventry Uni Scarborough Campus - Biological and Chemical science (Waiting)

I'll be 27 when I go and have two kids. I'm pretty sure I'm going to Hull for Marine Biology unless I get in at Scarborough which may throw my decision.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Hi All,

What are you currently studying/have studied: Access to HE Business, Law & Psychology
Which universities are you applying to: UWE (Offer received), Bath Spa (Pending), South Wales (Offer received), Cardiff (Offer received)
Which course(s) do you want to do: HR (with business where not available as stand-alone course).
Any other info you feel like sharing: I'm 35, worked in retail for 20 years, most recently for Superdrug as a Store Manager for 10 years. Decided I wanted to try something different and enjoyed the HR element of my job. Married with 2 kids (10 years & 8 months), ready for any challenge! :smile:

Really excited about going to uni, no-one in my family has gone and I would be proud to be the first! Very pleased to have received 2 offers already, looking to firm my UWE offer at this point (still could change yet!).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending