The Student Room Group

My teacher insulted me in front of everyone

So today I was in class and we had coursework which was a PowerPoint, last lesson he said that some people didnt add in enough information so we have to do a report too and in that lesson everyone began but I didn't because I didn't know what to write so instead I took notes and done it at home, anyway today I go in and ask him "do I even need to do my report if my PowerPoint fine?" He replies "your work is crap" without even looking at it, he said it out loud in front of the class and then said "you're a 5 foot 8 waste of space" so I got angry because everyone was laughing at me and he diminished my hard work that I spent doing till late on May nights, I said "you're not even a good teacher, and you're so cocky, everyone says it and that's why people have dropped your subject" then he said "how dare you, get out of my class and don't come back" but he thinks it's ok to personally insult me for nothing. At least I was honest with what I said and just stated what everyone thinks of him, because I actually thought he was ok but made that point because I could see what they meant now. Anyway I don't have the best history of behavior at school but I'm outraged that after another teacher suggested I apologized and implied I was a liar. Do you think I should escelate it or not? I have already reported him to a senior member but do you think I should push for him to get disaplinary or something. I hardly cry but the way he humiliated me and made me feel bad about my work and hard effort into my a level did make me feel like crying, I had to hold it in though. I asked another teacher about my work and they said it was excellent. How am I gonna get through the year with him? And what should I do about being banned from his class? and should I take it further or just let it go?

4 years later; follow up: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=87446332&postcount=31
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zayn008
So today I was in class and we had coursework which was a PowerPoint, last lesson he said that some people didnt add in enough information so we have to do a report too and in that lesson everyone began but I didn't because I didn't know what to write so instead I took notes and done it at home, anyway today I go in and ask him "do I even need to do my report if my PowerPoint fine?" He replies "your work is crap" without even looking at it, he said it out loud in front of the class and then said "you're a 5 foot 8 waste of space" so I got angry because everyone was laughing at me and he diminished my hard work that I spent doing till late on May nights, I said "you're not even a good teacher, and you're so cocky, everyone says it and that's why people have dropped your subject" then he said "how dare you, get out of my class and don't come back" but he thinks it's ok to personally insult me for nothing. At least I was honest with what I said and just stated what everyone thinks of him, because I actually thought he was ok but made that point because I could see what they meant now. Anyway I don't have the best history of behavior at school but I'm outraged that after another teacher suggested I apologized and implied I was a liar. Do you think I should escelate it or not? I have already reported him to a senior member but do you think I should push for him to get disaplinary or something. I hardly cry but the way he humiliated me and made me feel bad about my work and hard effort into my a level did make me feel like crying, I had to hold it in though. I asked another teacher about my work and they said it was excellent. How am I gonna get through the year with him? And what should I do about being banned from his class? and should I take it further or just let it go?

Was willing to go with he was joking until probably the 5'8'' waste of space bit.
Reply 2
Tell someone higher than him as he shouldn't be calling you a waste of space, outrageous behaviour.
Reply 3
Respect is mutual.

If the teacher gives you an attitude / insults, you should have the full rights to give an attitude / insults back.

You have my full support.

Go to your school governors / head principle / head of alevels / senior staff member.

Don't go to other teachers as they will probably side with the cretin of a human being.
(edited 8 years ago)
So you asked "do I even need to do my report if my PowerPoint fine?" and his response, without looking at anything, was "your work is crap". Are you sure?
Kids these days are so sensitive its unreal. Just ask to be put in another class due to an ongoing conflict with that particular teacher and then strive to prove that particular teacher wrong by obtaining very good grades. An old science teacher of mine told me I'd never go to university and i'd not pass GCSE Science. Well I passed GCSE Science, I went to university and now I'm in a job that is significantly better he does. Not long ago I went back to the school to see old teachers who had helped me do well and he tried congratulating me. I just told him to get lost because he never believed in me then so why should I accept anything he says now? I didn't respect him then and I don't now. Respect is a two way street and its earned, not demanded, much like loyalty. The best thing you can do to prove people wrong is to become successful and do well for yourself. They hate that more than anything else.
Reply 6
Boohoo, some teachers are bastards. Put your head down and focus on your work, the best revenge you can get is to prove him wrong.
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
So you asked "do I even need to do my report if my PowerPoint fine?" and his response, without looking at anything, was "your work is crap". Are you sure?

I should've stated that I gave in a draft prior to this, but the draft was good even after he said to the class "I shouldn't have called his work crap when it was actually ok" but he hasn't apologized to me so I wouldn't include it in my statement
Reply 8
Original post by welshieee
Kids these days are so sensitive its unreal. Just ask to be put in another class due to an ongoing conflict with that particular teacher and then strive to prove that particular teacher wrong by obtaining very good grades. An old science teacher of mine told me I'd never go to university and i'd not pass GCSE Science. Well I passed GCSE Science, I went to university and now I'm in a job that is significantly better he does. Not long ago I went back to the school to see old teachers who had helped me do well and he tried congratulating me. I just told him to get lost because he never believed in me then so why should I accept anything he says now? I didn't respect him then and I don't now. Respect is a two way street and its earned, not demanded, much like loyalty. The best thing you can do to prove people wrong is to become successful and do well for yourself. They hate that more than anything else.

That's all I dream about, proving them wrong. But anyway I can't change class, there's only one a level business group
Reply 9
Original post by Arkasia
Boohoo, some teachers are bastards. Put your head down and focus on your work, the best revenge you can get is to prove him wrong.

What a load of bull****. Working with teachers is 10000x easier than working against them. And do you really think he would care if OP succeeded or not? The best revenge would be to **** on his desk.
Original post by zayn008
I should've stated that I gave in a draft prior to this, but the draft was good even after he said to the class "I shouldn't have called his work crap when it was actually ok" but he hasn't apologized to me so I wouldn't include it in my statement

Report him.

People should either be caressed or crushed. If you do them minor damage they will get their revenge; but if you cripple them there is nothing they can do. If you need to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance.

Report him, place heavy emphasis on the effect it has had on your mental health. They will walk on egg shells now to avoid a repeat or escalation of things. Any conduct you do from hereon out which is questionable is coloured by his bad decision. He doesnt give you a good grade? He is being vindicative. Gives you a bad reference? Hes getting revenge.

Crush him. To turn your back on an enemy is weak, and dangerous for they will surely come after you.

I am sorry this has happened to you.
Reply 11
Original post by Windies
Respect is mutual.

If the teacher gives you an attitude / insults, you should have the full rights to give an attitude / insults back.

You have my full support.

Go to your school governors / head principle / head of alevels / senior staff member.

Don't go to other teachers as they will probably side with the cretin of a human being.

Original post by Inexorably
Tell someone higher than him as he shouldn't be calling you a waste of space, outrageous behaviour.

Thanks for the advice, I will for sure! It annoys me because if I said something like this i'd be excluded so he should face consequences too. 3 weeks in and people hate him for his attitude. I really hope they do something about it
Reply 12
Original post by apronedsamurai
Report him.

People should either be caressed or crushed. If you do them minor damage they will get their revenge; but if you cripple them there is nothing they can do. If you need to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance.

Report him, place heavy emphasis on the effect it has had on your mental health. They will walk on egg shells now to avoid a repeat or escalation of things. Any conduct you do from hereon out which is questionable is coloured by his bad decision. He doesnt give you a good grade? He is being vindicative. Gives you a bad reference? Hes getting revenge.

Crush him. To turn your back on an enemy is weak, and dangerous for they will surely come after you.

I'll do all I can for sure, I'm sure once he finds out I've got 2 teachers fired before he'll stop but I won't just complain then leave it because he'll hate me and get revenge so I guess the only way is to make him sorry
Reply 13
Original post by zayn008
That's all I dream about, proving them wrong. But anyway I can't change class, there's only one a level business group

Well done on excalating it otherwise it would have been overlooked. When talking to superiors say that you're now depressed and emotionally broken etc. emphasise as much as you can, say you can't sleep at night etc.. This way they will take things more serious because they'll be scared of getting sued. Bring your parents in if you can.

It's not likely that you're going to succeed in that class with that teacher because he's the type to take things personally and be revengeful, so you should start to consider alt options.

Maybe self teach the course or ask the seniors for what to do next.
(edited 8 years ago)
Made me wonder if this was a troll post when you said the teacher randomly mentioned your height, since TSR seems to be obsessed with talking about heights lately :curious: but just in case you're serious...

A teacher shouldn't be speaking to you like that, there's no excuse for this. Report him. He made it personal by calling you a waste of space, he needs to be held accountable for his words.
Original post by Inexorably

Intended pun , or ? XD
Original post by zayn008
Love this motivation, I only have him 4 times a week, and it's not like he'll mark down my hard work just because he doesn't like me, because no teachers have ever done that. I'm not in primary school, I'm doing a levels. I have to be able to work WITH my teachers. And that last part is the aim for sure!

Who cares if he marks down your hard work? Your hard work counts for nothing. What counts are the exams at the end of the year, and whatever coursework you have (which he can't purposefully mark down since that would lose him his job). Do well in those and you have proven him wrong, as well as helped yourself immeasurably.

Original post by york_wbu
What a load of bull****. Working with teachers is 10000x easier than working against them. And do you really think he would care if OP succeeded or not? The best revenge would be to **** on his desk.

Yes, but you can't always have things your own way. It's cliche I know, but in life you are guaranteed to be put in a position where you need to work alongside someone you detest, and who detests you. As for your idea of revenge, that's one step up from killing his pet (btw OP, don't do either).
Original post by apronedsamurai
Report him.

wtf calm down Sun Tzu...
Also, no need to get angry, aggressive and hostile with your teacher. That requires action, and input and runs the risk of you getting into trouble. The great thing about love and affection, is all you have to do is withdraw them to make a point. Think how awkward and uncomfortable someone feels with the silent treatment/cold shoulder.

Once you HAVE escalated things, reported it to the headmaster etc etc; the next thing is to act magnanimous and forgiving towards him. If he accepts, he will know you out-thought him. If he he does not accept, he weakens himself by making himself look spiteful and churlish. In doing so, he ties his own noose. :smile:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Intended pun , or ? XD

Omg hahah unintended :tongue:

Quick Reply