natnatnatlynch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I can't decide whether to go to the University of Liverpool or Manchester for my psychology degree
Because psychology is such a popular degree, I've decided to apply for degrees with slightly alternative titles so that I stand out. For Liverpool I'm applying for a combined honours of Biology and Psychology whereas in Manchester I'm applying for the Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology course.
I visited Liverpool on an open day and absolutely adored the city and could honestly imagine myself living there. However, because half of the course is biology, some of it is not related to psychology and I need to decide whether I would enjoy that. I've heard that Manchester is much more prestigious and is often ranked higher on league tables. However, I can't help feeling that it isnt as pretty, friendly or as pleasant a place to be. I'm visiting Manchester next week so I guess I'll find out if my predictions are correct.
I would just like to know people's experiences of these universities, particularly related to psychology. The nightlife and social aspect of university is particularly important to me.
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've lived in both. In terms of night life i find Manchester slightly more diverse but only slightly. Liverpool is beautiful and there's not much in it.

You won't be disappointed with either. I would highly recommend both
_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by natnatnatlynch)
I can't decide whether to go to the University of Liverpool or Manchester for my psychology degree
Because psychology is such a popular degree, I've decided to apply for degrees with slightly alternative titles so that I stand out. For Liverpool I'm applying for a combined honours of Biology and Psychology whereas in Manchester I'm applying for the Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology course.
I visited Liverpool on an open day and absolutely adored the city and could honestly imagine myself living there. However, because half of the course is biology, some of it is not related to psychology and I need to decide whether I would enjoy that. I've heard that Manchester is much more prestigious and is often ranked higher on league tables. However, I can't help feeling that it isnt as pretty, friendly or as pleasant a place to be. I'm visiting Manchester next week so I guess I'll find out if my predictions are correct.
I would just like to know people's experiences of these universities, partincularly related to psychology. The nightlife and social aspect of university is particularly important to me.
Liverpool all the way. Different class of people and I have heard really dodgy things that have happened at Manchester uni. I think for you, your more likely to get on with the people in Liverpool uni but if Manchester offers a better course then it's getting the balance.
ChloeNR
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by natnatnatlynch)
I would just like to know people's experiences of these universities, particularly related to psychology. The nightlife and social aspect of university is particularly important to me.
I'm have also applied to psychology at manchester and liverpool and hold offers for both but honestly, liverpool is much more appealing. It's a smaller uni than manchester so it's much friendlier and the whole atmosphere just felt warmer? That said I love both manchester and liverpool because I think the cities are quite similar just manchester feels a lot bigger and more ominous, I'm just biased because I live in liverpool hahah I would suggest to never base your entire decision on rankings, and base your decision on whether you genuinely feel you would enjoying studying there for 3 years of your life. Best of luck, both unis (in my opinion) are brilliant so either way you'll be making a good decision!!
natnatnatlynch
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Okay thank you I think I'm going to put Manchester as my firm and Liverpool as my insurance, purely because Liverpool's course is slightly less directed towards psychology and has lower entry requirements. If I get offers, that is. Still have time to change my mind and swap to Liverpool that way even if I achieve the UoM offer haha
But advice/experiences from others is still very much appreciated and needed haha
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Remember that Manchester and Liverpool are commutable to/from each other for about £9 return ticket on the train if you have a young persons railcard.

Choose what's right for you but there's nothing to stop you exploring one city while being based in another.

Both cities have bits that are v dodgy and bits that are alright.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.99%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
26.9%
Not great so far... (217)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.31%

Watched Threads