Turn on thread page Beta

Iraq - Would you go? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Do i detect sarcasm?

Money's no good if you're dead, and you stand a higher chance of being that if you're in a war zone.
    No. Really, it isn't that great. It's a very good whack for working in somewhere like the UAE but not that brilliant for the location/dangers involved in working a country like Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going. You're just taking the piss :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    You're not going. You're just taking the piss :rolleyes:
    Well I'm not sure if I'm goin yet. I spoke to someone in London today about the position I mentioned in post 1 and that was the sort of deal in very broard terms we were talking about. So, no, I'm not taking the piss, but I'm really not sure about it. I have a lot of thinking to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Well I'm not sure if I'm goin yet. I spoke to someone in London today about the position I mentioned in post 1 and that was the sort of deal in very broard terms we were talking about. So, no, I'm not taking the piss, but I'm really not sure about it. I have a lot of thinking to do.
    is it demanding work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    is it demanding work?
    Commercial Managemer/Senior Quantity Surveyor. Mother's milk stuff to me. Not especially challenging.

ReputationRep:
    Commercial Managemer/Senior Quantity Surveyor. Mother's milk stuff to me. Not especially challenging.
    obviously lots of factors to think about:

vocational work? in the sense are you going to be moving around a lot from your "campus" (so to speak)

area, you say north of baghdad, find out security situation around there.

issues of language, you going to be working for an american/british company. regularly using iraqi to communicate or english?

if you do go, take out good life insurance lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    obviously lots of factors to think about:

vocational work? in the sense are you going to be moving around a lot from your "campus" (so to speak)

area, you say north of baghdad, find out security situation around there.

issues of language, you going to be working for an american/british company. regularly using iraqi to communicate or english?

if you do go, take out good life insurance lol
    That's another issue. Willing insurers for Iraq are rarer that rocking horse ****.

ReputationRep:
    Can't stop but here's the situation.

I've been contacted about a position in Iraq.

Here's the deal.

1 year renewable contract somewhere north of Baghdad. $140,000.00 pa tax free, 3 months on, 2 weeks off.

Would you go? I'm tempted. What do ya'll think?
    Nope, i would rather stay at home and not have that money then go there and risk your life everyday.

ReputationRep:
    My friend went to Baghdad a few months ago to help establish the Law School in Baghdad and said he didn't have a problem with security. I guess he stayed in the Coalition's 'safe' area. He said there is tons of security to get into that area. But... I must say he's way braver than me. I don't know at what price I would be willing to go into such a dangerous region.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna boring? Shurely shome mishtake!
    Can we ask Vienna to go?

Howard what have you got to lose by going?

limbs
    life
    sanity

What have you got to gain
    money

ReputationRep:
    Vienna boring? Shurely shome mishtake!
    hehe..what can i say, the tedium's gotten to me.

most people i know who've been contracted out there say its not too bad. id be inclined to listen to those closest to me.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the fact that you can't get insurance should be telling you something. It's something big, can you talk to your family about it?

-=X=-

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.