What A levels do I have to pick to become a Radiographer? Watch

Oreonit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone
I'm in year 11 and next month we'll be choosing what sixth forms or colleges we would like to go and I'm freaking out about which subjects I might want to do. I've always wanted to be a radiographer. Other than science I have absolutely no clue about what A levels I'll have to pick to meet the requirements. I'm really hoping that maths isn't one of them but if it is I guess I'll just have to get over it. Can anyone help?
DominicDeeson
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have a look at http://sor.org/about-radiography/wha...-radiographers and that should help.
katecatfish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Most Unis specify a science subject, most prefer biology/ human biology. Some require physics but i haven't seen many that ask for that.

I am doing Biology, Physics, psychology and art

I think as long as you have a science subject (or biology to be safe) you can pretty much do what you want. i chose physics as well because we have a large module on medical imaging in it, so i thought that would be helpful and that there is some physics in Uni too for this degree

Hope this helps, and at the end of the day choose what youll enjoy because you have to do it for the next 2 years (i only chose psychology because it was something different, didnt really look into it and I really now wish i had never picked it!)

good luck
Oreonit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thank you ☺ I've been freaking out for quite a whike now because we're being told we have to choose our a levels in December. But I'm just glad I don't have to choose further maths 😂
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
For some reason the careers people at my school said Maths was virtually an essential subject for radiography. Then when I went to my interview they said it was the least relevant subject I did.
Ikra_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I'm at the same stage as you year 11 going to 6form. Just wanted to know what you decided on becos I think I'm just going to do biology, sociology and business for a levels hopefully gets me into radiography
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A safe set would be biology, physics and one other subject of your own choosing. If you grasp the physics early you may end up finding the course itself easier later on.*
Ikra_x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by giella)
A safe set would be biology, physics and one other subject of your own choosing. If you grasp the physics early you may end up finding the course itself easier later on.*
Thank you, I heard physics is rly hard in a levels
hazybubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Physics is applied maths. If you don't like maths then you probably wont like physics either!
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hazybubbles)
Physics is applied maths. If you don't like maths then you probably wont like physics either!
And radiography is applied physics! The maths is diluted and often automated and so is the physics on a daily basis but you still have to get through the radiography course.*

You need at least one science at A level to get on the course. However, (and this is the reason I took an interest in this thread) I know quite a few radiographers from my involvement in the British Red Cross getting their first aid training. I had a student who was aiming for radiography with Biology, Psychology and English Language and when I mentioned it to one of them, he let rip about it. He was only 32 and he said he hated the fact that when he got radiography students in on placement they were so woefully poor on basic maths skills and lacked what he felt are the basic physics principles to do the job on a more than superficial level. He works in CT and is also qualified in sonography and he says he's actually seen final year radiographers miss things hat could have been life threatening if not for him being there. He blamed their lack of maths skills again saying that they don't have the deep knowledge they need to fully interrogate what they're seeing on a screen beyond the checklist.*
This is something I've seen. I've personally been under the quite intense care of diagnostic radiographers four times, twice for pregnancy, once for kidneys and once for uterine issues. On my last pregnancy the final year student missed something and her supervisor caught it. The supervisor started interrogating her about measurements and the student simply fell apart. You could tell she didn't have that mental dexterity necessary to do it. She was a month from qualifying as a sonographer and already had a degree in radiography under her belt.*
I would say to anyone contemplating doing radiography that to be the best you need to have more than basic maths and physics knowledge. You need to be able to think in four dimensions and you need to be able to do rapid calculation. Maths and physics A level equip you with those skills. It's what you need to do the job as well as you can. *
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (16)
6.9%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.78%
I don't think they'd understand (39)
16.81%
It might lead to more bullying (81)
34.91%
There's nothing they could do (71)
30.6%

Watched Threads

Latest