The Student Room Group

Are my A-Level Options Strong?

OK so I'm planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. I want to try and get into the University of Oxford so I'm wondering if these subjects would be strong enough or if I should swap out psychology for a facilitating subject (either English Literature or French).

I'm predicted to get A*s across the board in my GCSEs so if I continue to work hard through my A-Levels, then I don't think procuring the required grades will be too problematic. Although the difficulty and workload of the subjects would also be something for me to consider.

Thanks
Original post by Febi1999
OK so I'm planning on taking Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. I want to try and get into the University of Oxford so I'm wondering if these subjects would be strong enough or if I should swap out psychology for a facilitating subject (either English Literature or French).

I'm predicted to get A*s across the board in my GCSEs so if I continue to work hard through my A-Levels, then I don't think procuring the required grades will be too problematic. Although the difficulty and workload of the subjects would also be something for me to consider.

Thanks

Depends what you wanna study at uni. If you wanna study maths or chemistry, most unis prefer you to have physics however if you wanna study a more essay based subject i'd say jut pick whatever subjects you enjoy the most and get the best grades in as unis are less picky about specific a levels with essay subjects than with sciences
Reply 2
Original post by smartalan73
Depends what you wanna study at uni. If you wanna study maths or chemistry, most unis prefer you to have physics however if you wanna study a more essay based subject i'd say jut pick whatever subjects you enjoy the most and get the best grades in as unis are less picky about specific a levels with essay subjects than with sciences

I don't entirely know what I want to do at university yet. So I'm trying to keep as many options open as possible so that if I change my mind about something half way through my AS, then I can still study what I want at university.
Do Physics instead of Psych and your subjects will be as strong as Gregg Valentino's biceps.
Original post by Febi1999
I don't entirely know what I want to do at university yet. So I'm trying to keep as many options open as possible so that if I change my mind about something half way through my AS, then I can still study what I want at university.

Its sorta difficult then. If wanna do maths at uni you'll need maths, further maths and possibly physics. If you wanna do chemistry they might also want biology or physics. however if you wanna do an essay subject then they'll want at least one of your a levels to be an essay subject.
Agreed, depends what you want to do. But if you're worried about the number of facilitating subjects, don't be. They say 'at least' 2 facilitating, and you have 3. Plus psychology isn't regarded as a 'doss' subject anyway. So don't sweat it.
Reply 6
Original post by mughushed
Agreed, depends what you want to do. But if you're worried about the number of facilitating subjects, don't be. They say 'at least' 2 facilitating, and you have 3. Plus psychology isn't regarded as a 'doss' subject anyway. So don't sweat it.

OK thank you so much! Tbh, I think I'd much rather take psychology than physics so yea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending