The Student Room Group

Should i move out of the UK?

I am 16 years old , doing AS levels at a good college in North London and i done well at GCSE as well.

I want to study Law at university but the problem is , I hate england with a strong passion.

I know i'll get the grades required to get into cambridge and become a ' top player ' in a big city law firm but im not sure i want to in London or the UK

I've been Toronto lots of times and i loved it and i know the University of Toronto has a great Faculty of Law. I would also love to go California.

Problem is however , law is different all around the world. I dont want to do Law here and then to move somewhere else where the law is different and re do the whole thing for the law of that country.

Also , im not sure if America/Canada has a similar system to us in studying Law and how much my english qualifications would be worth.

I REALLY don't want to stay in the UK and want to move out ASAP.

What you guys' advice be?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AMIRITL
I am 16 years old , doing AS levels at a good college in North London and i done well at GCSE as well.

I want to study Law at university but the problem is , I hate england with a strong passion.

I know i'll get the grades required to get into cambridge and become a ' top player ' in a big city law firm but im not sure i want to in London or the UK

I've been Toronto lots of times and i loved it and i know the University of Toronto has a great Faculty of Law. I would also love to go California.

Problem is however , law is different all around the world. I dont want to do Law here and then to move somewhere else where the law is different and re do the whole thing for the law of that country.

Also , im not sure if America/Canada has a similar system to us in studying Law and how much my english qualifications would be worth.

I REALLY don't want to stay in the UK and want to move out ASAP.

What you guys' advice be?

Why exactly do you hate England so much?
Go to Germany.

Top law bants there.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Go to Germany.

Top law bants there.

No. The only reason im moving out of the UK is because of the stupid petrol and car prices. I'm a petrolhead and know i will spend a ton on cars. It will work out cheaper for me in the long run if i move to North America , where petrol and cars are cheap.

A porsche 911 which is manufactored in Germany ( they dont produce 911s anywhere else - fact ) is cheaper in Canada than UK. Even though for UK porsche dont pay tax due to EU rules and Uk is a lot closer than Canada. Just let that sink in.
why do you hate the best country in the world?

whats your ethnicity?
Original post by AMIRITL
No. The only reason im moving out of the UK is because of the stupid petrol and car prices. I'm a petrolhead and know i will spend a ton on cars. It will work out cheaper for me in the long run if i move to North America , where petrol and cars are cheap.

A porsche 911 which is manufactored in Germany ( they dont produce 911s anywhere else - fact ) is cheaper in Canada than UK. Even though for UK porsche dont pay tax due to EU rules and Uk is a lot closer than Canada. Just let that sink in.

You're a funny person.

You hate the UK because of the "stupid petrol prices," while you say that you have the chance to go to Cambridge.

What you're saying here is that you value petrol prices over going to a top university, an ambitious dream which is world renowned.

I agree with you. You should move out of the UK. Bye bye.

tbh you're a troll, I love your spelling, such Cambridge material
Original post by caseynh
Why exactly do you hate England so much?

Firstly , i understand that everyone has a different opinion and taste. Well , heres mine:

I hate england. Reason is simple. It's overcrowded. Its not the stupid house prices ( on average people pay half their income on rent , my parents pay more than half their income on rent ) Its not the stupidly expensive stuff , like expensive parking places and food costs. Not to mention the crappy weather.

Its become i love cars and England is the worst place for it. Narrow roads pretty much everywhere , All the motorways have speed cameras or average speed cameras , Petrol is more 2x expensive than in Toronto. Even cars manufactored in EU are more expensive here than there. In Canada/America , wide roads , cheaper cars , cheaper petrol , more motorways , less speed cameras. Its my ideal location. And the weather is spot on. Cold in winter , Warm in summer , like its supposed to be.
Original post by AMIRITL
Firstly , i understand that everyone has a different opinion and taste. Well , heres mine:

I hate england. Reason is simple. It's overcrowded. Its not the stupid house prices ( on average people pay half their income on rent , my parents pay more than half their income on rent ) Its not the stupidly expensive stuff , like expensive parking places and food costs. Not to mention the crappy weather.

Its become i love cars and England is the worst place for it. Narrow roads pretty much everywhere , All the motorways have speed cameras or average speed cameras , Petrol is more 2x expensive than in Toronto. Even cars manufactored in EU are more expensive here than there. In Canada/America , wide roads , cheaper cars , cheaper petrol , more motorways , less speed cameras. Its my ideal location. And the weather is spot on. Cold in winter , Warm in summer , like its supposed to be.

move to toronto then
Original post by caseynh
You're a funny person.

You hate the UK because of the "stupid petrol prices," while you say that you have the chance to go to Cambridge.

What you're saying here is that you value petrol prices over going to a top university, an ambitious dream which is world renowned.

I'm typing faster than i can think. I've been Toronto several times and lived in ordinary places. I love it. Becoming a solicitor there and living there is my dream.

And I don't see how my opinion of petrol prices in the UK affects your judgement of whether i'm " cambridge material "

( I tried to type this very slowly and tried to ensure there's no grammatical mistakes so you don't get all butthurt again )
Reply 9
Original post by caseynh
You're a funny person.

I wish I could rep this a thousand times.

I agree, go to America. Bye.
Original post by Duwsh

Stupidity at its finest.
Original post by caseynh
move to toronto then

Bruh , if it was that simple. Ive called the uni and theyve told me its 3x more expensive for people who aren't citizens. My family is broke.
American law, much like medicine, is post graduate and is very hard to get into for international students. I'd imagine canada is the same.

East Europe?
Original post by Duwsh

Pay for my ticket , uni fees and rent and i'll even throw in a postcard for you
Original post by Docjones1
American law, much like medicine, is post graduate and is very hard to get into for international students. I'd imagine canada is the same.

East Europe?

This is exactly why i'm upset. And no * sigh * i would take UK over the other European countries , just because i've been here for a long time and sort of know what goes on
Reply 15
The only thing I don't understand is that if you're broke you probably don't own a high-performance car yet so you're not actually missing out on anything major. If you are such a petrol-head (as am I), maybe you could decide what to do after getting a good degree and a high-paying job which would enable you to actually enjoy a good car rather than any old hot-hatch?
Original post by AMIRITL
This is exactly why i'm upset. And no * sigh * i would take UK over the other European countries , just because i've been here for a long time and sort of know what goes on

So you can't go to NA, Europe, you want low petrol prices so australia's a no no. You pretty much have SA, Asia or Africa.
Original post by PPF
The only thing I don't understand is that if you're broke you probably don't own a high-performance car yet so you're not actually missing out on anything major. If you are such a petrol-head (as am I), maybe you could decide what to do after getting a good degree and a high-paying job which would enable you to actually enjoy a good car rather than any old hot-hatch?

( thanks for god for another understanding petrolhead )

Thing is , in North America you can drive at 16 whereas in UK you have to wait till 17 which makes a big difference when you're actually 16 in UK.

And what bugs me is seeing all these people of a similar financial status posting like cars with a 2.5 L engine or like 2.0L Engine as their first car whereas here everyone is driving around in 1.2 corsa's and fiesta's.

I can earn a decent amount of money provided i get a student loan. Imagine i was an idiot and spent all my money on a car. In North America , i would buy an old , RWD car and then just go in the countryside , in the wide empty roads and slide about etc and make subtle upgrades , and it wouldnt be a slow sluggish 1.2 because petrol is cheap.

But here? a 19 year old in a RWD car? Specially anything above a 1.8 , thats ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39huEmVZ22U You cant do any of this in the UK
Original post by Docjones1
So you can't go to NA, Europe, you want low petrol prices so australia's a no no. You pretty much have SA, Asia or Africa.

You narrowed down the options pretty well. I didn't know petrol is expensive in Australia.

I'm going to say no to both SA and Asia so i think the UK is my best bet the way you put it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending