So gf crashed her laptop big time

Watch
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

So my gf downloaded the anti-viral software eset onto her brand new sparkly windows 10 laptop.

The laptop went sluggish, she rebooted and now once past the log in stage the computer either black screens it or just starts doing the whirling cursor.

I imagine the problem is because of there being 2 anti-viral softwares slugging it out in the computer.

Safe mode in win 10 can't be accessed from the boot menu... so that rules that out

Any ideas on how to fix the stricken laptop?

Thanks
welshieee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Format the hard drive and then reinstall Windows.
judogainz
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
dumb gf
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
(Original post by welshieee)
Format the hard drive and then reinstall Windows.
How do I go about that when it's black screening/ frozen once through the log in?
alow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber)
How do I go about that when it's black screening/ frozen once through the log in?
Pull the hard drive out, plug it into another computer.
Abdi112
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

So my gf downloaded the anti-viral software eset onto her brand new sparkly windows 10 laptop.

The laptop went sluggish, she rebooted and now once past the log in stage the computer either black screens it or just starts doing the whirling cursor.

I imagine the problem is because of there being 2 anti-viral softwares slugging it out in the computer.

Safe mode in win 10 can't be accessed from the boot menu... so that rules that out

Any ideas on how to fix the stricken laptop?

Thanks
Boot into recovery if you have it, or boot from a windows 10 usb and "reset" the computer
ubisoft
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Angry cucumber
Rep:
?
Got it into safe mode and from their recovery off a F11 shortcut found only on certain HP laptops

Thanks for all the advice above
welshieee
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got it into safe mode and from their recovery off a F11 shortcut found only on certain HP laptops

Thanks for all the advice above
Back everything up onto an external drive or use something like Dropbox. Some of the symptoms you've mentioned can be a sign of hard drive failure. I'm not saying it definitely will happen but if you've got any important photos on there or documents then you will want to back them up. Better to be safe than sorry.
Foxel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely do what welshieee said. It does sound like that drive is dying a slow and painful death. Also best thing you can do is educate your girlfriend on how to use a computer because it sounds like she's unsure.
Abdi112
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Foxel)
Definitely do what welshieee said. It does sound like that drive is dying a slow and painful death. Also best thing you can do is educate your girlfriend on how to use a computer because it sounds like she's unsure.
You need to be educated on how to use a computer, OP said problem was sorted out and how can a brand new laptop have a failing hard drive :doh:
Foxel
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Abdi112)
You need to be educated on how to use a computer, OP said problem was sorted out and how can a brand new laptop have a failing hard drive :doh:
Holy cow, like brand new parts can't fail... are you new to this computer thing?

A failing hard drive can work one minute perfectly and then die the next. From a lot of experience with computers, it's better to be safe than sorry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (84)
26.01%
England (109)
33.75%
Belgium (27)
8.36%
Germany (38)
11.76%
Spain (6)
1.86%