The Student Room Group

Where to study a Sociology Degree?

Hi there!I am looking to study a Sociology degree starting in 2016. I'm looking to apply to Surrey, Exeter, Birmingham, Warwick and Bath. I was just wondering if anyone else on student room has studied Sociology at one of the above (or anywhere else!) who has anything to say about it; concerning the course and the uni as a whole!! As during my open days I haven't actually been able to speak to any Sociology students! Thanks a lot!
Original post by rosieholdway
Hi there!I am looking to study a Sociology degree starting in 2016. I'm looking to apply to Surrey, Exeter, Birmingham, Warwick and Bath. I was just wondering if anyone else on student room has studied Sociology at one of the above (or anywhere else!) who has anything to say about it; concerning the course and the uni as a whole!! As during my open days I haven't actually been able to speak to any Sociology students! Thanks a lot!

Just started my first year at Edge Hill university doing Sociology combined with Childhood Studies. The sociology modules are really interesting and the uni is fab! I'd definitely advise looking into how many hours per week you'll be in university and any trips the course offers at different universities. One thing I didn't realise when starting my course was how little I am in university each week so it's definitely something to look into! Sociology requires a lot of personal study and reading :smile:
Original post by StudentEmmax
Just started my first year at Edge Hill university doing Sociology combined with Childhood Studies. The sociology modules are really interesting and the uni is fab! I'd definitely advise looking into how many hours per week you'll be in university and any trips the course offers at different universities. One thing I didn't realise when starting my course was how little I am in university each week so it's definitely something to look into! Sociology requires a lot of personal study and reading :smile:

Thanks for the reply! Did you study Sociology at A-Level also? Didn't even think about the trips aspect will have a look into it thanks! Do you enjoy all the independent reading? Have you found it a big step up from A-Levels or the equivalent studied?
Original post by rosieholdway
Thanks for the reply! Did you study Sociology at A-Level also? Didn't even think about the trips aspect will have a look into it thanks! Do you enjoy all the independent reading? Have you found it a big step up from A-Levels or the equivalent studied?

Yes I did and I loved it which is why I decided to carry it on! The independent reading side is a massive change for me and takes a lot of self motivation to go to the library/buy the books and actually read them! Honestly, apart from the amount of independent study time you get at university and how you have to push yourself much more, the work isn't a massive step up from A-level in my opinion. If you're passion about the subject, I'd highly recommend taking it :smile:
Original post by StudentEmmax
Yes I did and I loved it which is why I decided to carry it on! The independent reading side is a massive change for me and takes a lot of self motivation to go to the library/buy the books and actually read them! Honestly, apart from the amount of independent study time you get at university and how you have to push yourself much more, the work isn't a massive step up from A-level in my opinion. If you're passion about the subject, I'd highly recommend taking it :smile:

Ah that's good to know thanks! I love it too, my favourite subject! How interesting thanks! Good luck with your degree :smile:
Hi im interested in taking sociology too as a degree next year. Im thinking to go to either Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham or Bath? Im glad to here that the subject isn't as hard from A-levels. The only thing that is putting me off is down to the fact that we have to do research methods which I HATE/ or might hate.

Does it involve maths ???

Quick Reply

Latest