When are you considered too old to go to University?

Watch
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://news.liv.ac.uk/2014/12/02/gra...-80-years-old/

http://www.independent.co.uk/student...-10389746.html

http://www.wlv.ac.uk/about-us/news-a...ree-scroll.php

Posted from TSR Mobile
DanielleT192
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Klix88)
I started my undergrad aged 44, my Masters at 47 and my PhD at 49. I'm now 51 and being paid (occasionally...) for working in the field covered by my studies. It's completely different to my pre-uni 20+ year career.

So no, I wasn't studying just for the sake of it. I used it to change careers and in doing so, to vastly improve my life. I have zero interest in what may or may not be socially acceptable. As long as I'm not harming anyone else, what I do is nobody's business but my own. Which is why I'm off to see the Sleaford Mods next week (being supported by Steve Ignorant from Crass, who is - shock horror - even older than me!!)

Age is a matter of perspective. Once you hit 35 you'll realise it's not the end of the world and there are plenty of opportunities still open to you, if you go and get them.
Quite refreshing reading from a perspective of someone a bit older

I tend to find a lot of people can lead stagnant lives after a certain age (not everyone though) and it's nice reading from someone who has went into education at a later age.

Just proves you can follow/change your career later on in life!
MattyJMP
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're never too old to go and learn something! . Going and living the "student life", mehhh, you may be getting a bit past it at 30 ;D
Jessica Watts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bocicowo)
Hi guys,

I am 22-years-old but face the prospect of finally going to University when I am 24. This begs the question, when is it considered socially unacceptable for one to go to university, when you will likely be surrounded by young, enthusiastic 18/19 year olds?

In my opinion, I would say that 35 is the absolute cut off point for anyone wanting to study at university for the first time. I think after that, you are merely studying as something to do, more than anything.

What do you all think?
I think it is never too late! My aunt went to university when she was 28. Now she is very successful
Cocolat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree with u Kart H. It's never too late to go to d university. Age is nothing but a number. Older people learn more and get more experience than d younger ones who most or majority of them party and have fun and start focusing at d last minute. I am in my mid 30's. I had my HND some years back when I was younger, got married, had children and then considered going back to do what I have always wanted and I do not care if I am d oldest in my Dept, cos we r all there for a purpose. It's all up to u how u make good use of it. Am not going there to make friends to bring back home, am there to study and be proud of myself!
Cocolat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And to add to it, nobody ever guessed my age right cos I look younger than d ones who are 18/19. Isn't it a fantastic gift?
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never feel left out at uni. Being the age I am doesn't mean I necessarily have the same interests of people my own age. I don't need independence - I have that already. The reasons explained you mention Marco14196 as being 'poor' - well that may be your opinion and you have every right to it, My parents didn't actually give me advice about anything, actually, simply because I never met them. I was in care from birth. When I was young, university was for the wealthy. My education as a child was practically non-existent. The nuns were mostly illiterate, thick or both. The education I have now I have no problem with not paying the loans back. The state didn't educate me as a child as it has for most of the current generation- I am just taking back what I should have had and furthermore, I have seven adult children who are all taxpayers as well as some of my older grandchildren. I also home educated one of my grandchildren from the age of 5-16, thus saving the government a lot more than the cost of my student loans.
Cocolat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow! That's quite interesting Seamus 123.
Dchristian
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are many people who are older than you, who never got the chance to follow their passion because there was no funding for them to go to university. Since the recession many people have been made redundant. This has provided an opportunity for them to finally take that leap they have always wanted by going to university to retrain. It is not something that a person older decides to do lightly. With many commitments that young people do not usually have to consider it requires making an informed decision and doing your homework.

Most young people I have met are very unsure what they can do with their degree or simply choose a subject they liked in school. As we grow older our experiences shape us and interests that made you choose fine art in school may begin to waiver. You may even decide that you are more interested in something completely different to your degree but by then you are already in thousands of pounds debt.

In my opinion, I think that you are never too old or young for university. It is how you came to your decision in the first place and how well prepared for the future you are! I feel more sure about my studies now that I am 30 than if I had just chosen any subject when I was younger. I am more sure of myself too and have gained many years of relevant experience.There's no rush I think.
CantFindAName
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is nothing wrong at all with going to university at ANY age. It's not a failure in any way to attend later. Not everyone was fortunate enough to be able to afford uni right out of school, and perhaps an older person has decided that they will finally be able to follow their dream, or perhaps they had young children and it wasn't feasible to go until later. Perhaps they did start when they were 18/19 but had to leave for one of a million reasons and are returning to finish.

There's also those who will just go for the love of learning.

I'm in my 30s and just began a Master's via distance, which I know isn't the same as attending as an undergrad on campus, but it is never too late to learn. University and the new doors it opens in life aren't just for young people.
Lucas86
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you are above 45, I think it is weird to be student in university, everyone will consider you are a professor at first.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have been asked that same question by taxi drivers, lecturers and other people at uni. I'm used to it now.
silversue
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I went to Cambridge at 37, did four years and in spite of running a home and caring for two young children obtained a 2.1. Age is in the mind . No Danny I didn't join pub crawls , not what I went to college for. I wanted to catch upon the education I was denied when I was younger. I'm now pushing 70 and did A level Latin this summer after studying independently .
P.S. Danny stop smoking; it's really bad news
Silversue
ckelly93
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Honestly, you're never too old to do what you want to do in life.

Me and two other mature students are writing a blog about what it is like as a mature student too attend uni, plus other advice for students. Feel free to ask us anything!!

http://3oldstudents.blogspot.co.uk/
annarchy.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by marco14196)
At that age, its a beyond stupid idea. Maybe they're not worried about the debt because of how unlikely it is that they will ever repay it at that age. Im still annoyed with universities. The ONLY reason you should ever go to one is if you desire a career that demands a degree(e.g.medicine, some engineering). The vast majority left over should never consider going if they are just wanting to go for the experience/making friends/independence. If you go for those poor reasons, you're probably a half minded twit who thought it didnt matter what they study because they're parents told them "Do whatever you want because youll become rich" which is a total lie. University is the biggest scam of the 21st Century with the amount of student debt held internationally(going into the trillions now) and the high unemployment rates.
I think your view is completely narrow-minded tbh. The majority of young graduates that go to university have been told by institutions that they will have better job prospects if they go. I'm at university because I enjoy the subject I do and I hope to go into such work. Professions will not take you seriously without a degree (an example: social work or something similar). The people who are older and go to university are probably there not for job prospects but because they want to better their knowledge and do something different with their lives. This thread is about OLDER people going to university and you seem to be ranting about young people. I don't really understand what point you're getting across if i'm honest.
lancsgirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have just started by second year as an undergraduate and I will be 52 next week! Having spent 30+ years wishing I had got a better education, I decided to do something about it. I admit i am doing it mainly for my own self esteem. It really is the best thing I have ever done, yes I am a lot older than most, but there are plenty of more mature students about and I am proud to be different! I would say to anyone worrying about age, just go for it, you'll not regret it!
Costalo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you're in the ground.
Neil Harvey
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fear kills, and in this case it can come from other people - colleagues, co-students etc who have a negative view. Don't listen to others' negativity. I'll tell you why. At RBS there was a Client Executuve job advertised with an upper age limit of 25. Being 27 I thought I was too old. My mates agreed. Later on, the Marketing Director took me to one side and said "Why didn't you go for it? We would have given you the job" Words which forever make me feel like Homer Simpson.

So, ignore upper age limits, but do lower your expectations when you apply to avoid feeling dissapointed. Remember that age limits are for 'employees' only. Those who work for themselves / run their own companies do not have to put up with this BS.
Cocolat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My advice is when choosing a course to study, go for the ones that leads to a professional job for example, medicine, teaching, social work and so on. No one is ever too old to get employed through these jobs. Bank jobs and all that, they require younger ones to help them with sales and so on. Teachers never get too old to teach, doctors never get too old to perform a surgery or can be GP doctors who just sit on their ass to prescribe medical drugs.
Ethereal21foreva
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
After 30, but most people have valid excuses of why they started late.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (33)
8.03%
Confident (55)
13.38%
Indifferent (58)
14.11%
Unsure (105)
25.55%
Worried (160)
38.93%

Watched Threads