The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Only 6 National 5s - will this stop me from getting in?

hiya.
im currently in s5 and studying 5 highers. after next year im hoping to go to uni and my number 1 dream would be to study at joint degree at saint andrews (classical studies-modern history).
this year im predicted to get between AAABB and AAAAA. these are in english, history, modern studies, rmps and human biology. however I only have six national 5s rather than eight and im starting to worry that this will prevent me from getting in.
I was pretty ill last year so didn't do exams in either german or maths. the grades I got were AAAABB. not great I know. 😞 I go to quite a competitive state school and lots of people did better than me, but I still dream of going to Saint Andrews. if I got three to five a's at higher, would I be able to get in even with my sub-par N5 grades?
thank you :-)
Hi :smile:
If you look on the university website at the grade requirements, they don't specify National 5s. I don't think it would be a problem if you only did six, as long as you meet the Higher requirements. However, it might be a good idea to phone them and check
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
I believe you would need to retake National 5 Maths at somepoint as the uni website says you need a pass in Maths. If German was the only language you studied at National 5 it might be worthwhile retaking that at somepoint as well as while not completely necessary, most unis like you to have at least one language at Nat 5 level - although I believe sometimes they just have you do an extra small course when you're at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending