The Student Room Group

MBA options and alternatives?

Hi guys

I'm considering studying an MBA, and asking my employer to fully or partly fund me. Obviously therefore I need a course with the best balance of low fees and high value to my employer.

My local university is well reputed and full fees would be approx £11k.

Is it possible to beat that? I've seen programs with lower fees but I don't even know what I'm looking for to assess value.

Are there other postgrad business programs that would offer similar value to an employer?

For reference, I work in a medium sized law firm but think my future will be on the business side of things, rather than as a solicitor.
Reply 1
It's really difficult to respond without knowing what university you're talking about, in terms of judging "well reputed", if you're looking for comparators that would give value to your employer. £11k sounds pretty low for an MBA.
Reply 2
Ha, sorry, I'm usually cagey about mentioning my location online. My local university is the University of Ulster - Queen's is another option with fees of £19k. For reference, I know/know of a few people who have done a UU MBA, but no-one who had even considered a Queen's one.

Scottish, English or Welsh universities could be an option, as could Irish, but in terms of networking and making local contacts staying in NI would probably make more sense.
To really be of value you should be looking for an MBA with at least one accreditation - AMBA is the most common in Europe. Without accreditation a low price will be a sign of a poor programme. Are you looking for a full-time course or part-time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending