The Student Room Group

GCSE Question

Hello!

I am 15 years old and I am currently revising for my mock GCSE exams, I was wondering about future A-levels and the GCSE grades needed to do them. I heard that your grades have to be above grade C to do them, or are they higher/lower?

Unfortunately I am only a grade A student in some subjects, I am doing foundation Science due to the low target grade given to me by my primary school due to my SAT grades (I had flu when taking them, thus inevitably failing) and I enjoy Physics and was just curious into knowing whether I can take a higher course on Physics if I achieve only a C grade in my GCSEs?

I am also not great at exams as I am very slow and have an issue for processing the question in my mind, in other words, I usually fail at grasping the true inquiry of the actual question. Don't get me wrong, I do not disagree with doing a Foundation Paper and my grades can prove that but I feel I do much better in class work and coursework.

Can anyone enlighten me on how I can achieve a higher grade in this subject without having to interrogate about doing a higher paper?
Reply 1
I had to get an A when I took Physics, most colleges or sixth forms say B grade if you want to do the subject at A Level. However people I know who got a C when asked for a B got onto the course anyway. If they say no just get your parents involved saying that they'll support you in your decision. If you're serious abut taking it don't take no for an answer.
Edit: The only way you can get a better grade is by taking the higher paper there is no secret way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jjb22
Hello!

I am 15 years old and I am currently revising for my mock GCSE exams, I was wondering about future A-levels and the GCSE grades needed to do them. I heard that your grades have to be above grade C to do them, or are they higher/lower?

Unfortunately I am only a grade A student in some subjects, I am doing foundation Science due to the low target grade given to me by my primary school due to my SAT grades (I had flu when taking them, thus inevitably failing) and I enjoy Physics and was just curious into knowing whether I can take a higher course on Physics if I achieve only a C grade in my GCSEs?

I am also not great at exams as I am very slow and have an issue for processing the question in my mind, in other words, I usually fail at grasping the true inquiry of the actual question. Don't get me wrong, I do not disagree with doing a Foundation Paper and my grades can prove that but I feel I do much better in class work and coursework.

Can anyone enlighten me on how I can achieve a higher grade in this subject without having to interrogate about doing a higher paper?

Do you think you can achieve a better grade if they take you another test at a suitable time?
Reply 3
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Do you think you can achieve a better grade if they take you another test at a suitable time?

I suppose I have some confidence, yes. Another issue is that I never really knew how to revise on previous tests. If I properly revised for a higher paper I believe I could get a higher grade.
Every school I've heard of says you need a B to do the subject at A Level, because as a general rule if you get less than that you won't be able to cope
Original post by jjb22
I suppose I have some confidence, yes. Another issue is that I never really knew how to revise on previous tests. If I properly revised for a higher paper I believe I could get a higher grade.

Then let them know. Tell them than you can achieve a higher grade if they take another test, and that you performed poorly in your previous test due to your circumstances. What do you want to do at university?
Reply 6
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Then let them know. Tell them than you can achieve a higher grade if they take another test, and that you performed poorly in your previous test due to your circumstances. What do you want to do at university?

To be honest I don't know. Something to do with mechanics or engineering. I have an interest in them.
Original post by jjb22
To be honest I don't know. Something to do with mechanics or engineering. I have an interest in them.

You should tell them than you need to have at least a B in the sciences to be able to pick the A levels you want because you want to do mechanics or engineering at university. I'm sure they will let you do another test latter on this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending