Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm really struggling to relate reductionism to any of the modules I studied for A2. Could anyone help me with this please?

ReputationRep:
    Biological Reductionism - evolution, genetics, psychodynamic approach...

- Family studies of Schizphrenia/Depression/OCD/Eating Disorders
    - Aggression - as adaptive behaviour in animals (Ardrey)
    - Gender - Chromosomes, Innates drives, Sociobiological theory
    - Sleep - Evolutionary theory of sleep
    - Relationships - Sociobiological theory
    - Personality - Psychodynamic approach

Physiological Reductionism - hormones, neurotransmitters, brain structure

- Dopamine, brain abnormality, hormones, hypothalamus in Schizophrenia, depression, OCD, eating disorders
    - Aggression - testostorone, hormones, PMS
    - Gender - Hormones (Batista family), Accidental penectomy (Money)
    - Sleep - stage of sleep, restoration theory
    - Dreams - activation-synthesism reverse learning theory
    - Personality - Ancient greek 'humours, Eysenck theory

If you're still struggling, I'll put some environmental reductionism up later tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Are all those reductionist? How can restoration theory be reductionism?

I've decided to so Nature/Nurture, Psychology as a Science and Reductionism. Is that foolish? I really don't get free will/determinism :|

ReputationRep:
    Anyone...?

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfing Hamster)
    Are all those reductionist? How can restoration theory be reductionism?

I've decided to so Nature/Nurture, Psychology as a Science and Reductionism. Is that foolish? I really don't get free will/determinism :|

The restoration theory is reductionist because it only takes evolutionary theories into account... what about behavioural theories? We may have learnt to sleep from a young age because we physiologically/psychologically feel better...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mineko)
    What exam board are you with?
    AQA (A)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    The restoration theory is reductionist because it only takes evolutionary theories into account... what about behavioural theories? We may have learnt to sleep from a young age because we physiologically/psychologically feel better...
    I don't get that :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Restoration theory says we sleep because it's our instinct to want to restore our psychological and physiological functioning. Therefore it is an evolutionary theory.

However, what if we learnt to sleep at a young age, rather than have an inbuilt instinct to sleep (in our nature to sleep)? Through direct reinforcement.. we learnt that sleep = feeling psychologically and physiological better.. therefore we sleep to make ourselves better.

ReputationRep:
    Restoration theory says we sleep because it's our instinct to want to restore our psychological and physiological functioning. Therefore it is an evolutionary theory.

However, what if we learnt to sleep at a young age, rather than have an inbuilt instinct to sleep (in our nature to sleep)? Through direct reinforcement.. we learnt that sleep = feeling psychologically and physiological better.. therefore we sleep to make ourselves better.
    lol thanks It was just how it was reductionist that I didn't get :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Everything in psychology can be argued to be reductionist

ReputationRep:
    Everything in psychology can be argued to be reductionist
    oh :confused:

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.