The Student Room Group

being gay in freshers

so basically I just came out before uni (I'm a girl ) and I found it a really lonely time. I didn't know anyone gay at school and when I finally came out I still didn't know anyone. My mum didn't want me to go to a local LGBTQ in case I " changed my mind' and of course I never met anyone just in my small town at home. I tried to join things like tinder, tumblr and HER but every girl I thought was nice was 100+ miles away.

So when I came to uni I was kind of hoping to meet more people, but every time I go out, I just see straight couples? I am openly gay now and most of my flat mates know this however I haven't seen anyone even remotely butch or obviously gay. I know statistically there must be some girls that are either BI or gay however It's really starting to frustrate me, I even just got with a guy out of desperation as I just felt so alone whilst everyone else was getting off with guys. I've joined the LGBTQ group but my friend says that it's mostly guys that go to that. So I'm just wondering how I'm ever going to meet any girls when my uni is so full of straight people???
Original post by Anonymous
so basically I just came out before uni (I'm a girl ) and I found it a really lonely time. I didn't know anyone gay at school and when I finally came out I still didn't know anyone. My mum didn't want me to go to a local LGBTQ in case I " changed my mind' and of course I never met anyone just in my small town at home. I tried to join things like tinder, tumblr and HER but every girl I thought was nice was 100+ miles away.

So when I came to uni I was kind of hoping to meet more people, but every time I go out, I just see straight couples? I am openly gay now and most of my flat mates know this however I haven't seen anyone even remotely butch or obviously gay. I know statistically there must be some girls that are either BI or gay however It's really starting to frustrate me, I even just got with a guy out of desperation as I just felt so alone whilst everyone else was getting off with guys. I've joined the LGBTQ group but my friend says that it's mostly guys that go to that. So I'm just wondering how I'm ever going to meet any girls when my uni is so full of straight people???

There will be gay and bi women. Honestly, try your LGBT group. That's all I can say. I don't have first hand experience but my oldest friend went to one and met another girl I knew who happened to be a fresher in her first week of university. They got married a few weeks ago. It worked for them. They met each other at an LGBT club night. It was just meant to be your usual one night stand but obviously developed into a real relationship. They've been together for 5 years.
Reply 2
Original post by alexs2602
There will be gay and bi women. Honestly, try your LGBT group. That's all I can say. I don't have first hand experience but my oldest friend went to one and met another girl I knew who happened to be a fresher in her first week of university. They got married a few weeks ago. It worked for them. They met each other at an LGBT club night. It was just meant to be your usual one night stand but obviously developed into a real relationship. They've been together for 5 years.

I guess I'll just have to persist with the LGTBQ group, congrats to your friends though :smile:
I guess I'll just have to persist with the LGTBQ group, congrats to your friends though :smile:

Either way, I say just make friends with other women and see how it goes. I know plenty of women that like women. It shouldn't be too hard to find them. It may be the crowd I hang out with but I can't think of many completely straight women. As for how to go about it? I'm sure you could share your predicament with them and ask how to deal with getting used to finding women to do whatever you want to do with them, what to do and the like. I'm sure they'll be sympathetic.
Reply 4
Original post by alexs2602
Either way, I say just make friends with other women and see how it goes. I know plenty of women that like women. It shouldn't be too hard to find them. It may be the crowd I hang out with but I can't think of many completely straight women. As for how to go about it? I'm sure you could share your predicament with them and ask how to deal with getting used to finding women to do whatever you want to do with them, what to do and the like. I'm sure they'll be sympathetic.

I suppose I guess it's just so far in my life I've never met any girls that like other girls. I mean I was hoping that being out at uni would mean that more girls would open up to me, but yeh I've met one girl that says she's potentially bi but she has a boyfriend :/ and thats it..
Which university do you go to? I was just thinking a city would be a better place to meet other gay people.
Reply 6
Original post by JennyB_147
Which university do you go to? I was just thinking a city would be a better place to meet other gay people.

err i don't really want to post on here which uni, but It doesn't have a very big city next to the uni , so on campus is where most people stay :/

Do you play any sports? I dunno if it's normal, but I had a lesbian halls neighbour, and she said women's football basically doubled as lesbian society (she said she was rubbish at football, and only really there for the pussy). I drank with them once, only one straight girl there. Ditto women's rugby, I had a friend in that, also gay, most of them were.
so basically I just came out .... how I'm ever going to meet any girls when my uni is so full of straight people???

idk but this usually how the cliched "lonely lesbian life" works. You buy an inexplicable amount of female cats and pet them as a substitute for normal human contact. You live like this for many decades until you are discovered dead in your 1 bed apartment half eaten by your cats.

Or
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/sex-therapist-mike-davidson-gay-conversion-work-has-made-me-pariah-1432790
the cure
err i don't really want to post on here which uni, but It doesn't have a very big city next to the uni , so on campus is where most people stay :/

You're posting anonymously currently...

make friends with a cucumber

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending