Self Taught Sociology A/S & A Level - Help with Exam Modules AQA Watch

hjenkins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi!

I won't explain why but I am self studying for A Levels in Sociology, Psychology and possibly Biology. I haven't started so won't know much info.

I understand the exam modules for psychology but am struggling with sociology(in particular, A/S not A2!) I have downloaded and read the AQA exam specifications and understand there is:

Paper 1 - Education with methods in context
and
Paper 2 - Research Methods and Topics in Sociology

I also understand there is compulsory content and Optional, this is what I'm mostly struggling with. SO on the AQA specs it says
Compulsory Content - Education, Methods in content, research methods
Optional Content - 1) Culter and Identity, 2) Families and households, 3) Health, 4) Work, Poverty and Welfare

I'm wondering how this applies to the exam and revision, so I have to study(once I buy textbook/reivision material) all of the compulsory content, but with the option content do I choose what I study, or study it all? Also Do I pick 2/4 or the options? or 1/4? If this makes sense. Any examples of how the optional questions are laid out would be handy.

Any extra information on exams would be helpful so I can start teaching myself, it will be alot easier to learn when I have a clear understanding of what the exams require. I haven't really thought about A Level yet, I plan to take my test for A/S in 2016 and A Level the following year.

Thanks! Holly
Holly-JW
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, um I'm really not sure how helpful I can be because this sounds like a different specification.

I may be able to help if you give me a link to the specification you're looking at as I thought the current AQA specification was this one in which the AS Paper 1 is either Culture and Identity, Families and Households, or Wealth, Poverty, and Welfare, and Paper 2 is either Education with Research Methods or Health with Research Methods.

I do know that they were due to change specifications but can't find a different one on the AQA website for some reason?

However, from the sound of the specification you're looking at (if it's anything like the previous specification) I think it would be that there will be four sections to the second exam paper and you just choose one of them to study and complete.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (50)
15.15%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (28)
8.48%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (63)
19.09%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (50)
15.15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (39)
11.82%
How can I be the best version of myself? (100)
30.3%

Watched Threads