Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Having an assignment to discuss the similarities and differences between Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes.
    I know its popular to discuss the presence of true organelles, true nucleus.
    Though Im failing to understand what determines "true" status.

I've read somewhere that its talking about membrane bound organelles, but a membrane surrounds a prokaryotic cell too?

So whats the fundamental difference here? What am I missing?

Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samantics)
    Having an assignment to discuss the similarities and differences between Eukaryotes and Prokaryotes.
    I know its popular to discuss the presence of true organelles, true nucleus.
    Though Im failing to understand what determines "true" status.

I've read somewhere that its talking about membrane bound organelles, but a membrane surrounds a prokaryotic cell too?

So whats the fundamental difference here? What am I missing?

Thanks for your time
    A eukaryote is a membrane bound cell which contains organelles that are also membrane bound. A prokaryote is not membrane bound and their organelles aren't membrane bound.

I hope this kind of helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prokaryotic cells don't have a nucleus or any membrane bounded organelles (eg: mitochondria and chloroplasts). They also have plasmids, whereas eukaryotic cells don't. They have 70S ribosomes which are smaller and eukaryotic cells have 80S ribosomes. The cell wall is made of murein whereas it's mostly made of cellulose in eukaryotic cells.

I think that's everything, hope that's helped!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also I think that the outer membrane which is outside the cell wall can be found in prokaryotic cells, but not in any eukaryotic cells. And many prokaryotic cells have a slime layer, and can have flagella or pili, unlike eus. Pros have a nucleoid in contrast to the nucleus; however, they lack the endoplasmic reticulum.
    Including what elise68 said, I think that's most things covered.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have to do this as an exam any tips to remember?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenz786)
    Hi I have to do this as an exam any tips to remember?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    - Prokaryotes DNA is not surrounded by a nucleus, and some have nucleoids (accessory DNA, not necessary for the overall functioning of the cell but may for example contain genes which protect the cell from certain antibiotics.)

- They have a murein/peptidoglycan layer in the cell envelope.

- Their cell size ranges from 2-5 micrometers, where as Eukaryotic cell size ranges from 5-100 micrometers.

- Binary cell divison vs mitosis.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou so much 👍👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.