Does coursework contribute to an A*? (Physics)

Watch
mubmoh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, all comments are well appreciated

I am just regarding whether coursework contributes to an A* grade with AQA Physics.

My current A2 score is 257/300 with 46/60 in the coursework, so is it possible to gain an A* just by resitting the coursework? (Gaining 60/60 making the overall 271/300)

Also why are the coursework grade boundaries ridiculously inflated? I achieved roughly a 45/50 mark in the exam but this is a B.

Thanks for your time Please comment if you have the answers :P
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A2 coursework does contribute towards the A* so yes, if you got 60/60 you would have an A*. Coursework grade boundaries are higher than exam grade boundaries in virtually all subjects because you're not really being put on the spot and it's also largely internally marked which does result in generally higher marks being given out, hence the higher grade boundaries.

As you've probably worked out, you're going to need 59/60 or above in the coursework to get an A* which is seriously difficult so if you need that A*, I'd perhaps suggest retaking an exam too...
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mubmoh)
I am just regarding whether coursework contributes to an A* grade with AQA Physics.
Yes, the coursework is included. For an A* you will need at least 270/300 from the 3 A2 units. However, your chances of getting full marks in the coursework are very low.
mubmoh
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
As you've probably worked out, you're going to need 59/60 or above in the coursework to get an A* which is seriously difficult so if you need that A*,
(Original post by Compost)
Yes, the coursework is included. For an A* you will need at least 270/300 from the 3 A2 units. However, your chances of getting full marks in the coursework are very low.
Thanks I really appreciate the information .
However both of you have stated a 60/60 score is difficult, or very unlikely, but doesn't this contradict the grade boundaries? If 60/60 ums has a max mark equivalent of 50/50, isn't it a fair assumption that marks are easy to come by? Or 'easily given'.
I will most likely sit an exam along with it as has I have only obtained an A grade in a coursework once in my life. And I have done a lot of courseworks Do you guys have any tips for achieving high in courseworks? Btw my coursework has always been marked internally, so would it be easier to achieve externally? Thanks again
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mubmoh)
Thanks I really appreciate the information .
However both of you have stated a 60/60 score is difficult, or very unlikely, but doesn't this contradict the grade boundaries? If 60/60 ums has a max mark equivalent of 50/50, isn't it a fair assumption that marks are easy to come by? Or 'easily given'.
I will most likely sit an exam along with it as has I have only obtained an A grade in a coursework once in my life. And I have done a lot of courseworks Do you guys have any tips for achieving high in courseworks? Btw my coursework has always been marked internally, so would it be easier to achieve externally? Thanks again
Well look, it's supposed to be as difficult to get 60/60 in the coursework as it is to get full UMS in the exams, which isn't exactly easy. The fact that grade boundaries are higher means that people generally get higher marks in the coursework but the whole point of UMS is to adjust for that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads