The Student Room Group

Worth it to apply to Cambridge under these circumstances?

So I'm applying to do architecture which has the A*AA requirement.

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums
-average of all 4 = 80.7%
-average of 3 taking to A2 = 84.5%
Retaking 3 modules in AS chemistry and 2 modules in AS Physics

Lots of work experience as well..

Would it be worth it would you reckon?
Original post by cowie

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums

Go for it - You have a great chance!:h:
Original post by cowie

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums

Not in the least, I'm afraid.
Original post by cowie
Would you really reckon there's no chance of getting to the interview stage?...

Read the flowchart in the first post here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2086102
Reply 4
With extenuating circumstances give it a shot. But I've heard architecture is the most ridiculously competitive course to get into at Cambridge :frown: I've heard it's 80 applicants per 4 spots at a college. But maybe I'm wrong.

Last year I got an interview with an 83% average without any circumstances, so there's always hope.
Original post by cowie

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums

Prediction by your school really doesn't do a trick as Cambridge uses all the data available to make their own prediction.
Cambridge's Architecture is extremely competitive. You may not even invited for interview with your UMS and grades. Very low UMS of your maths is also worrying for Architecture.

Just FYI,
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ums_attainment_at_as-level_of_applicants_by_subject_and_offer_status.pdf
Reply 6
Thanks for the reply! I'm quite optimistic so as long as there is a chance I'll take it as there are no other uni's i would like to apply to so i have nothing to loose. :smile:

Original post by vincrows
Prediction by your school really doesn't do a trick as Cambridge uses all the data available to make their own prediction.
Cambridge's Architecture is extremely competitive. You may not even invited for interview with your UMS and grades. Very low UMS of your maths is also worrying for Architecture.

Just FYI,
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/ums_attainment_at_as-level_of_applicants_by_subject_and_offer_status.pdf
Original post by cowie
Thanks for the reply! I'm quite optimistic so as long as there is a chance I'll take it as there are no other uni's i would like to apply to so i have nothing to loose. :smile:

I recommend you ask him.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3619547
I'm in a similar circumstance to you actually. I'm applying to a natural sciences course at Cambridge and I'm predicted A*A*A*A, but i only achieved a BBBC at AS level. However, this was due to an incident that occurred during a week of my exams. I only had a few bad modules, for example my Math I got AAC in the modules, but overall I have a B. So i will be resitting quite a few modules, but i know i'll do better at the end of this year.

I think it's definitely worth an application, after all the worst that can happen is that you don't get accepted. The hardest part is getting an interview, once you get an interview and an offer you just have to work really hard to achieve the grades.

However, if you believe there was a certain reason you got a lower set of results than anticipated O suggest you write a letter to accompany your application explaining why your grades failed. And remember they don't only look at your AS grades, just work really hard on your personal statement and if you have good GCSE grades etc they are more likely to give you an interview.

Hope this helps a little, good luck :smile:
OP, frankly, you've clearly made your decision and just want someone to tell you it's okay.

It is. It is just unlikely to result in an offer.
Reply 10
No I completely understand the odds are extremely low; was just interested in peoples general views on it.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
OP, frankly, you've clearly made your decision and just want someone to tell you it's okay.

Original post by cowie
No I completely understand the odds are extremely low; was just interested in peoples general views on it.

I'm intrigued why you have set your heart so firmly on Cambridge's Architecture.......
I really think you should have a very good look at other universities' courses, too, no matter you're applying to Cambridge or not. It's bit silly banking on just one uni when you know the odds are against you.
Reply 12
I think you misread (or I didn't explain well enough)... I currently have 4 universities I am definitely making an offer for so Cambridge would be my last slot. Not only applying for Cambridge of course.
Original post by vincrows
I'm intrigued why you have set your heart so firmly on Cambridge's Architecture.......
I really think you should have a very good look at other universities' courses, too, no matter you're applying to Cambridge or not. It's bit silly banking on just one uni when you know the odds are against you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cowie
I think you misread (or I didn't explain well enough)... I currently have 4 universities I am definitely making an offer for so Cambridge would be my last slot. Not only applying for Cambridge of course.

???

Original post by cowie

Anyway, if it's only one of 5 choices, that's alright then, as long as other 4 are more realistic choices.
Good luck with your application. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by cowie

There are plenty of excellent Architecture schools. Cambridge isn't even #1...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella

This. OP, just stick to your decision if you feel confident in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
There are plenty of excellent Architecture schools. Cambridge isn't even #1...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It'd depend on what you define as '#1'.
If you want a course that's heavily academic, Cambridge is probably the best at least in UK. The issue is whether that's the reason why OP is so keen on cambridge.
Original post by cowie

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums

Original post by Jasminem97
Go for it - You have a great chance!:h:

Nope, to get an interview you pretty much need at least high 80s (most likely 90) with no mitigating circs. It doesn't get easier from receiving an interview either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cowie

Predicted A2:
Art A*
Physics A
Chemistry A

AS results:
Maths C -69.3% ums
Physics B -79.3% ums
Chemistry B -78.3% ums
Art A -96% ums

Is your school actually in Cambridge and this is why you want to go? I'd suggest looking for other options - there are some fantastic universities out there. Your AS grades will really work against you, especially considering how competitive Architecture is at Cambridge. Look around before applying. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending