marinelife
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What the top universities for marine biology? Also, any advice on how to get experience because it is a competitive course?

Thank you!!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marinelife)
What the top universities for marine biology? Also, any advice on how to get experience because it is a competitive course?

Thank you!!
Southampton is one of the leading experts in this field.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marinelife)

Thank you!!
Southampton's definitely the first one that comes to mind since it's the home of the National Oceanography Centre and one of the leading universities in the world for the subject. I think Liverpool's also good for Marine Biology since there's an NOC branch there too.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you live near the sea now? presumably volunteering with a 'friends of' group e.g. http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/hilbre/vwork.htm or taking part in a coastal wildlife survey would look good on your PS
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Southampton's definitely the first one that comes to mind since it's the home of the National Oceanography Centre and one of the leading universities in the world for the subject. I think Liverpool's also good for Marine Biology since there's an NOC branch there too.
i have been to liverpool's ecology department and it was excellent so i suspect it's marine biology bit would be aswell i believe hull is also good for ecology and biology related things
Caroll C. Kilby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In your case Southampton's is the best))
Antonia Jane
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! My son is doing A level French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry & Marine Science. He has been advised to give up Marine Science. (We live in Spain by the sea & my son sailed for 7 years and has his PADI) He is considering a degree in Marine Biology. I know Marine Science is not a facilitating subject but he enjoys it! Is it worth doing? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Antonia Jane)
Hi! My son is doing A level French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry & Marine Science. He has been advised to give up Marine Science. (We live in Spain by the sea & my son sailed for 7 years and has his PADI) He is considering a degree in Marine Biology. I know Marine Science is not a facilitating subject but he enjoys it! Is it worth doing? Thanks!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Entry requirements vary but I think it's fine to keep Marine Science as long as he drops either French or Spanish - he definitely should not drop Biology or Chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.16%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.44%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.38%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.81%

Watched Threads