Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University's first year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    whats it like to be in the first year when u go to a uni? ive heard ppl say they review almost the whole A lv in the first year and dont teach much new stuff. some ppl from UT also say that the exams are even easier than a lv and gcse... and lots r straight from ur notes into the exam? how regurgitative.

ReputationRep:
    How long is a peice of string? It depends on the subject and university. I have been told with law that what they teach you is very different from the A level. Even in the first year the exams on my course were harder than A level, however they haven't seem to got any harder in the second year. The course work itself is also harder but there is much less red tape which makes it easier.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hijack your thread.. I have another question, that's kind of related... what happens if you fail you first year? Does the Uni have the right to chuck you out or do you get another chance to repeat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Most uni's have resits in August/September for people who've failed their exams.

If you fail these then you're usually told you have a choice - either drop out for good or resit the year as an external student (ie you get no loan, pay no fees but can't claim JSA either and only turn up to take exams and hand in coursework - it's a pretty crappy way to spend a year as you *have* to work or live off your parents). If there is a *good* reason for failing your exams and your resits during the summer then most uni's will allow you to resit the entire first year but you'll need to make sure your LEA is ok with this otherwise you may end up with no loan/fee support for your final extra year
    Thanks Pencil Queen

ReputationRep:
    Does the colour of zidans gem mean -ve rep?? If so why does it say he is adored and respected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    Does the colour of zidans gem mean -ve rep?? If so why does it say he is adored and respected?
    Read the faq, but yes a grey gem means he has had a little bit too much neg rep, although one member could have done that, if it was red then he has truly miss behaved. The adored and repsected is just do with his post counts.

ReputationRep:
    Like people have already said, it's going to depend on your course and the uni. I've never done exams so hard in my life than the ones I've just done. They were a lot harder than my A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone who's doing spanish at uni tell me if it's a lot more difficult than a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    whats it like to be in the first year when u go to a uni? ive heard ppl say they review almost the whole A lv in the first year and dont teach much new stuff. some ppl from UT also say that the exams are even easier than a lv and gcse... and lots r straight from ur notes into the exam? how regurgitative.
    The first year at uni is like taking a GCSE. Seriously, it's so easy. I had to do 4 essays a term that were 2000 words long. There was no classwork and the exam questions were so general, anyone could answer them. One question was literally:

What has been your favourite book this term? Discuss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    The first year at uni is like taking a GCSE. Seriously, it's so easy. I had to do 4 essays a term that were 2000 words long. There was no classwork and the exam questions were so general, anyone could answer them. One question was literally:

Mine hasn't been easy whatsoever - I've had more hours of lectures/labs a week than I got doing A-Levels at school, and a lot of work to do every week - had at least one lab report every week - most week had 2, and they took about 3 hours to do. Also got a lot of coursework on a regular basis, and we were taught stuff that wasn't anything like what was in A-Level - we've done some things that I did in A-Level very briefly and then extended the ideas and theories to much more complicated stuff. And I've continuously been assessed through coursetests all year, and have had 3 two hour exams which have not been easy at all, I've done most of my work on time all year and struggled majorly with the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, definately going to depend on the uni and course - also what degree classification you're aiming for.

Medicine certainly isn't a breeze - oh to be doing a-level's again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    Yep, definately going to depend on the uni and course - also what degree classification you're aiming for.

Medicine certainly isn't a breeze - oh to be doing a-level's again
    Yeah - how can you even compare this to A-Levels? They were lovely, and certainly it's not all regurgitating stuff, because you can't possibly learn everything. It's been very hard this year, but I've enjoyed it. Now I just have to hope I didn't do too shockingly in my exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)

hmmm, 24 hours a week, and several assigments every week.... sounds like I got it harsh.

At exeter, you get to repeat in september if you fail. then if you fail those, then you get to repeat the year or drop out. my friend is repeating at the expense of the LEA, but they wont pay again if he fails.

ReputationRep:
    At salford they will let you let you resit the exams once, but you can only score 40% in the resists. If you fail them and haven't passed 10 out of 12 modules or more you will have to resit the entire year or you're out.

Its fixed so that its very easy to get 40% but its much harder to get 60% etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its fixed so that its very easy to get 40% but its much harder to get 60% etc.
    ditto, the enginering modules for example, engineering 1, is divided into 2, A and B. Part A is easy and you are expected to get 80% in, ie. a pass overall. Part B you are expected to get between 20 - 40%. So basically, part A is to pass, Part B to get a decent mark!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    ditto, the enginering modules for example, engineering 1, is divided into 2, A and B. Part A is easy and you are expected to get 80% in, ie. a pass overall. Part B you are expected to get between 20 - 40%. So basically, part A is to pass, Part B to get a decent mark!
    Similar for Maths at Bath now.

Section A - book work
    Section B - testing understanding/intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Mine isn't really structured like that, there is just 12 modules a year which are all worth 10 credits. However some modules are easier than others, more people tend to fail Java programming for example than say the easier modules such as management.

The first year dosn't count, the second is worth 25%, and the third year is worth 75%. All the hardest modules are in the third year too, which is a nice way of keeping students (who are paying fees) for as longs as they can before they fail. Its still very easy to get a degree though at 3rd class. However it won't really be worth much as a qualification.

ReputationRep:
    We need 35% to pass our exams. Our 3 main modules (which are worth 20 credits each, we have to do 120 credits worth in a year) are weighted 30% coursework, 70% final exam. However if you get full marks in the coursework, you still need to get 35% on the exam to pass the year. And the exam has 2 sections - Section A is worth 25% of the exam and is multiple choice (and supposed to be easy), Section B you have to do 3 questions (from a choice of 5) which is much harder - but the multiple choice bit is there for you to get most of the marks you need to pass with - if you get about 20% from the multiple choice bit then you only need to get 5% on each other questions you choose to get your pass mark, so not that hard to pass the exam at all. However on 2 of my 3 exams I could barely do the multiple choice bit! So it ain't that easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    We need 35% to pass our exams. Our 3 main modules (which are worth 20 credits each, we have to do 120 credits worth in a year) are weighted 30% coursework, 70% final exam. However if you get full marks in the coursework, you still need to get 35% on the exam to pass the year. And the exam has 2 sections - Section A is worth 25% of the exam and is multiple choice (and supposed to be easy), Section B you have to do 3 questions (from a choice of 5) which is much harder - but the multiple choice bit is there for you to get most of the marks you need to pass with - if you get about 20% from the multiple choice bit then you only need to get 5% on each other questions you choose to get your pass mark, so not that hard to pass the exam at all. However on 2 of my 3 exams I could barely do the multiple choice bit! So it ain't that easy!
    unfortuantly I need 60%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    unfortuantly I need 60%
    That's alarmingly high...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.