The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Chicken
We need 35% to pass our exams. Our 3 main modules (which are worth 20 credits each, we have to do 120 credits worth in a year) are weighted 30% coursework, 70% final exam. However if you get full marks in the coursework, you still need to get 35% on the exam to pass the year. And the exam has 2 sections - Section A is worth 25% of the exam and is multiple choice (and supposed to be easy), Section B you have to do 3 questions (from a choice of 5) which is much harder - but the multiple choice bit is there for you to get most of the marks you need to pass with - if you get about 20% from the multiple choice bit then you only need to get 5% on each other questions you choose to get your pass mark, so not that hard to pass the exam at all. However on 2 of my 3 exams I could barely do the multiple choice bit! So it ain't that easy!

If you manage just imagine how proud you would be if you pass and chemistry is very well respected so the normal desmond tutu rule probably dosn't apply to Chemestry.
Reply 21
Ollie
unfortuantly I need 60% :frown:

Ditto - cos I want to do an MChem with the year abroad :frown:

However if I don't get that but I get my 35% then I think i'm downgrading to the BSc!
Reply 22
Dunno. I found first year engineering was easy. Then again I did an awful lot of extra work to get there so a lot of the first term was purely revision.
Reply 23
Chicken
Ditto - cos I want to do an MChem with the year abroad :frown:

However if I don't get that but I get my 35% then I think i'm downgrading to the BSc!

ooh that's what my brother's doing (but at leeds), he's off to Pennsilvania (sp?) in august if he does well enough in his exams. where do you want to go?

lou xxx
Reply 24
lou p
ooh that's what my brother's doing (but at leeds), he's off to Pennsilvania (sp?) in august if he does well enough in his exams. where do you want to go?

lou xxx

I want to go to Canada - drinking age = 18/19 not 21! Also beautiful country, been there twice and love it and want to go back. And uni is cheaper than in the states I think. I applied to Leeds for the MChem and intended to do a year abroad if I went there too! Declined their offer though... :smile:
Reply 25
Chicken
I want to go to Canada - drinking age = 18/19 not 21! Also beautiful country, been there twice and love it and want to go back. And uni is cheaper than in the states I think. I applied to Leeds for the MChem and intended to do a year abroad if I went there too! Declined their offer though... :smile:

lol, a couple of my brothers house mates are going to canada for that reason- my brother is ok cos he is old for his year group and is 21 in september.

lou xxx
Reply 26
lou p
lol, a couple of my brothers house mates are going to canada for that reason- my brother is ok cos he is old for his year group and is 21 in september.

lou xxx

Yeah my Birthday is the end of June (2 weeks and 4 days!) so I wouldn't be 21 until the very end of the year when I would possibly be back home. But I think I prefer Canada to America anyway. Plus a girl I'm good friends with who also wants to do the year abroad is quite keen on coming to Canada as well, so hopefully if we've both got the results (and I probably won't have) we'll go to the same place.
Reply 27
Canada is nice - where in Canada are you thinking of?
Reply 28
Mysticmin
That's alarmingly high...

i know. how depressing :frown:
Ollie
i know. how depressing :frown:

no wait, silly me, I thought that was the pass mark and nearly had a heart attack :biggrin:

forgot you're on the MEng, therefore you have to get at least a 2i right?
Reply 30
Mysticmin
no wait, silly me, I thought that was the pass mark and nearly had a heart attack :biggrin:

forgot you're on the MEng, therefore you have to get at least a 2i right?

yep, or I get thrown to the commoners (BEng :tongue: )
Reply 31
shiny
Canada is nice - where in Canada are you thinking of?

I have the choice of 3 places - University of British Columbia (in Vancouver), University of Calgary, and University of Ontario (which is in Toronto I think). Am gonna go for one of the first 2 - have been to both places before, and really like them both, but at the moment am slighlty swayed towards Calgary because 1. I have relatives there (free food and washing facilities!) and 2. Its closer to my favourite places in the Rockies (Banff and Lake Victoria). I've got to start applying in Spetember (providing my exam results are good enough).
Reply 32
Ollie

does your beer thing uptodate? doesn't seem to have changed for ages *and i have a heart and i've defrosted it for you*

lou xxx
Reply 33
Chicken
I have the choice of 3 places - University of British Columbia (in Vancouver), University of Calgary, and University of Ontario (which is in Toronto I think). Am gonna go for one of the first 2 - have been to both places before, and really like them both, but at the moment am slighlty swayed towards Calgary because 1. I have relatives there (free food and washing facilities!) and 2. Its closer to my favourite places in the Rockies (Banff and Lake Victoria). I've got to start applying in Spetember (providing my exam results are good enough).

I agree. Calgary ... good Ice Hockey Team :smile:
Reply 34
shiny
I agree. Calgary ... good Ice Hockey Team :smile:

And therefore nice Ice Hockey players :wink:

(Or just a bunch of angry Canadians with no teeth... :tongue: )
Reply 35
lou p
does your beer thing uptodate? doesn't seem to have changed for ages *and i have a heart and i've defrosted it for you*

lou xxx

only when i can be bothered to do it!

i has been changing, prob another one or 2 on top now.

keep clicking!
Ollie

oooh, we don't have mechanical engineering commoners methinks... :biggrin: MEng only offered, dunno what they do to you if you flunk.
Reply 37
Mysticmin
oooh, we don't have mechanical engineering commoners methinks... :biggrin: MEng only offered, dunno what they do to you if you flunk.

You can't do the fourth year.
shiny
You can't do the fourth year.

Um, so I just go away with nothing as they don't offer BEng Mech Eng? :confused:
Reply 39
Mysticmin
Um, so I just go away with nothing as they don't offer BEng Mech Eng? :confused:

Nah, they'll probably kick you out after year 3 with a BEng.

Latest

Trending

Trending