The Student Room Group

Best UK city to buy a house in outside of London?

I want to buy a house in another UK city outside of London. Where's the best place to go that is friendly and ethnically diverse (but socially harmonious), has a fair amount of young people, has good opportunities for employment. great public transport links (regular buses/night transport services), variety of shops, very good education establishments and reasonable house prices. Essentially, I want to move to a city that is comparable to London without London's bloat and ridiculous house prices.

Thoughts?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Nowhere compares to London.
Reply 2
Original post by queen-bee

Spoken like a true Londoner.
good opportunities for employment
great public transport links and infrastructure
reasonable house prices

I noticed you haven't put anything about leisure, how the city feels, culture, etc.

Therefore pretty much any major city meets those criteria... Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds, Glasgow, etc.

Of course some jobs / industries are stronger in particular cities so it depends on the industry.

Personally if I had to live in another UK city I would go for Bristol, Edinburgh or Norwich.
Belfast is a pretty great city and the people are some of the best! :biggrin:

House prices are better too!
Reply 5
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
good opportunities for employment
great public transport links and infrastructure
reasonable house prices

I noticed you haven't put anything about leisure, how the city feels, culture, etc.

Therefore pretty much any major city meets those criteria... Bristol, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Leeds, Glasgow, etc.

Of course some jobs / industries are stronger in particular cities so it depends on the industry.

Personally if I had to live in another UK city I would go for Bristol, Edinburgh or Norwich.

Appreciate the input, I just noticed that too and have edited the OP.
Oxford, Coventry and Bath would be the only places outside of London I'd buy a house at.
Probably somewhere in Scotland. Try Edinburgh?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Affordable
Cambridge
Exeter
Coventry
Belfast

Less affordable
Bath
Bristol
Oxford
Edinburgh

Says the girl who's never lived anywhere else :mmm: Not that I disagree, as such, but I think your view of TROTUK is a little blinkered

I've visited places like Manchester and Edinburgh and Aberdeen and tbh it's just not the same :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Swindle
I want to buy a house in another UK city outside of London. Where's the best place to go that is friendly and ethnically diverse (but socially harmonious), has a fair amount of young people, has good opportunities for employment. great public transport links (regular buses/night transport services), variety of shops, very good education establishments and reasonable house prices. Essentially, I want to move to a city that is comparable to London without London's bloat and ridiculous house prices.

Thoughts?

Oxford or Bath, they're pretty much the two best places in the UK to buy a house outside of London. Expensive, but cheaper than London and house prices are climbing rapidly.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Affordable
Cambridge
Exeter
Coventry
Belfast

Less affordable
Bath
Bristol
Oxford
Edinburgh

Says the girl who's never lived anywhere else :mmm: Not that I disagree, as such, but I think your view of TROTUK is a little blinkered

Cambridge, are you serious? I was peering through estate agents windows today and it's like £250k+ just for a one bed flat.

My local tip is a pretty close caparison to London.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Indeed not, although I've not spent much time in Manc at all and have never been to anywhere in Scotland besides the Isle of Aaron before, I'm ashamed to say (as someone with Scottish ancestry). I may be moving down to Devon/the South West, with family, so you may be adding Plymouth/Exeter to the list of underwhelming cities you've been to before long! :h:

I'm still having dreams about Dubai as we speak :love: can you imagine me fitting into any of those places?! If there's a harrods nearby then I guess ul be okay :h:
Original post by DiddyDec
My local tip is a pretty close caparison to London.

What is it?
What is it?

Edinburgh, Bristol. Leeds, Manc.

If I don't move to London in the next 5 years it'll be Bristol.

Hahaha you're just jealous. Nobody cares about anywhere else but London. You won't know what I'm talking about until you've lived here.
Hahaha you're just jealous. Nobody cares about anywhere else but London. You won't know what I'm talking about until you've lived here.

That is funny, where does your food come from?
That is funny, where does your food come from?

From the countryside but I don't care. I'm talking about relevance
Original post by Foo.mp3
Affordable
Cambridge
Exeter
Coventry
Belfast

Less affordable
Bath
Bristol
Oxford
Edinburgh

ugh bristol is the only one with decent flights to ireland...and its expensive to live in...much to think about

is liverpool/manc that bad?

Quick Reply

Latest