Turn on thread page Beta

Bad night at the polls for Labour watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    That's stupid. Why vote for the candidate you dislike the least just to appease people who believe you have to vote?! The law doesn't make us vote, so we don't have to vote. Even if it did become law to vote (like in Australia for example), there would still be an abstain option I imagine (there is in Aus anyway.) Personally I think it should be a requirement to vote, but until then I don't think it's fair to tell people how they should use their vote.
    It's not stupid. I don't agree with everything that the party I voted for stand for, but on the issues that I consider to be most important that is the party that will take steps to do something about those issues. I also think it should be a requirement to vote. If you don't vote you shouldn't really get to take advantage of any benefits that the government provide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    If you don't vote you shouldn't really get to take advantage of any benefits that the government provide.
    I don't see the logic. What if you voted for a losing party, should you be deported!?

Voting isn't a legal requirement and as such non-voters should receive the same rights as voters! Which is why they do :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I don't see the logic. What if you voted for a losing party, should you be deported!?

Voting isn't a legal requirement and as such non-voters should receive the same rights as voters! Which is why they do :rolleyes:.
    I agree with you. But I do think that it is hypocritical if you don't vote and then complain that nothing gets done.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I agree you should vote because people have suffered and died to bring you the vote. If you dont want to vote for anyone in particular just put a cross in every box it will be void but at least you've voted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    It's not just being able to complain about politics! Many people died so that we now can vote. I don't think many people agree with every single policy that political parties have but you should decide what issues are most important to you and go with the party that will do something about those issues.
    Isnt it a pretty depressing state of affairs when the only way people like yourself can get people to vote is through emotional blackmail like what you said above? People should want to vote becuase they genuinely believe that the party they voted for will improve their lives (or at least fight for the causes they believe in) - that is what democracy is about. It is not about forcing people to participate through a moral tyranny. Its utterly stupid that the reason people should vote is because people have died.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3796075.stm

Anyone know the % voting turnout?? When I voted at around 18:30 last night there had only been 19%!!!
    40% of people voted I think.

ReputationRep:
    Im sick of the Labour ministers coming on tv saying 'oh its a protest vote' well no sorry it wasnt over Iraq, its about Labours overall attitude to us, the people they are supposed to represent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Isnt it a pretty depressing state of affairs when the only way people like yourself can get people to vote is through emotional blackmail like what you said above? People should want to vote becuase they genuinely believe that the party they voted for will improve their lives (or at least fight for the causes they believe in) - that is what democracy is about. It is not about forcing people to participate through a moral tyranny. Its utterly stupid that the reason people should vote is because people have died.
    What would you do though if the government turned round and said 'right, no-ones voting so clearly the systems isn't working. So we'll just stop anyone from voting at all and do what we like'?

And it's not emotional blackmail at all! It's a fact that people died so you could vote.

And I'm not trying to get you to vote - I just think it's a wasted opportunity and don't understand why people don't vote. Is it because they don't value themselves/their morals/beliefs/opinions... enough?

ReputationRep:
    Reasons to vote:

1. Yes, people have fought and died for that right.

2. Le Penn was initially elected in France because too few people bothered to vote. I'd rather have Labour for another term than be subjected to the BNP just because I couldn't be bothered to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)
    Im sick of the Labour ministers coming on tv saying 'oh its a protest vote' well no sorry it wasnt over Iraq, its about Labours overall attitude to us, the people they are supposed to represent.
    Exactly I seem to remember most the country being against top up fees and the public telling them their election results would suffer and they just laughed it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I thnk the turn out was about 40%. The tories have gained Trafford which is next door to me, so they are making progress.

To be honest I didn't expect labour to do well. Labour blame it on the war but its funny how they have forgotten top up fees.

hopefully they'll fix the roads around my area and the rubbish collecting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    hopefully they'll fix the roads around my area and the rubbish collecting
    Yep I thought of you actually last night when I first found out about that Torie gain.

In Manchester I don't think labour control has been too bad becuase the councilers seem quite good, at least in my ward (Chorlton) they have done a lot to improve the area. Although its probably the inlux of graduates thats done this.

Trafford in general has much richer wards than Manchester though and is more suited to conversative control.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm not trying to get you to vote - I just think it's a wasted opportunity and don't understand why people don't vote. Is it because they don't value themselves/their morals/beliefs/opinions... enough?
    No, it's because if they dislike all the candidates, then why should they have to vote for any of them? They can still have the right to complain about what the government does wrong because they didn't vote for that government specifically because they were against their proposals.

ReputationRep:
    Labour always do badly in mid-term elections, but they'll win the General.

It will be interesting to see if Red Ken's number of votes are knocked since he rejoined Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I doubt Charles Kennedy would. IDS (at the time) and Blair would have though. Maybe in the end the war did some good, I know people died, but hopefully in the long run it will stop a lot more people being killed in Iraq at the ends of the evill Hassan regine.
    Kennedy has never been a proper Prime Ministerial candidate, but had he been PM I would imagine he would have gone to war, remember you can say almost anything when not in power, but when in power it is a different story.

ReputationRep:
    if you dont vote you have no right to complain about the politics involved with that situation

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely shocked that the green party became third in Manchester.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    if you dont vote you have no right to complain about the politics involved with that situation
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    if you are strongly politically aware, but don't support any of the candiates, put a cross by all the names. that way you have voted, and you can show your lack of support.

I voted lib dem in both. i was quite surprised and pleased to hear that they hae come second overall, and have won seats from the tories and labour in my area

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.