The Student Room Group

Do you think plastic surgery is okay? what age?

So I have never been for or against it, I think if it makes you feel better and you can pay for it then fair enough.

I have always wanted lip lift procedure because I have always been a bit insecure about my lips. I'm 17 and obviously can't pay for it myself(you have to be 18 for anything), my parents would obviously never let me do anything to my face voluntarily, so I suppose I will have to wait till I'm actually earning...:redface: probably won't want it then anyway...

but that made me think...would you ever get it done on something you have always been insecure about? and what age do you think is appropriate?

Scroll to see replies

I'm personally totally against it. It highlights everything wrong with society. I'd much rather give the money to charity. Many people i know who do get it are still unhappy have insecurities. Just remember when you were a goofy little kid and how happy you were.
I'm generally against it. As long as people don't go overboard I wouldn't really care. I only really see it being valid if you want to "correct" something like a broken nose back to its normal shape. (Like mine :sad:)
For me, plastic surgery doesn't really offer anything to me, that said if they can come up with a way of taking belly buttons out cleanly, without masses of scaring I'll definitely sign up for that.
Reply 4
I believe that for the most part it is a disgusting side-effect of our superficial and consumption-based society, and whilst I have no reasonable objection to individuals choosing to do it, I wouldn't fully agree with it unless it was in the case of fixing an actual problem (birth defects, burn victims, war victims etc).
I bet your lips are fine, we are our own enemy when it comes to our appearance. I think we all feel insecure about the way we look at one point or another, I remember I hated my lips at one point and my nose, till I came to acknowledge that I was perfectly fine in my own skin. And didn't need to make no adjustment.

Also the media plays a huge role in what we perceive as attractive, when in reality what they portray in the spotlight is unrealistic and made to make you feel insecure, it's a marketing strategy by big corporations to buy their products by degrading your self esteem and making you feel "ugly". The majority of these huge stars have gone through countless amounts of photoshop to fit the agenda of these corporations. Don't buy into it.

So no I am totally against plastic surgery, as it can ultimately leave you looking much worse off prior to the surgery and still insecure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
If it's used to enhance your looks then absolutely not. God created each one of us in the best way. (If it's used for a disfigurement like after an accident, burnt or whatever then that's fine obviously).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mojojojo101
For me, plastic surgery doesn't really offer anything to me, that said if they can come up with a way of taking belly buttons out cleanly, without masses of scaring I'll definitely sign up for that.

Taking belly buttons out? :redface:What is wrong with your belly button?
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
So I have never been for or against it, I think if it makes you feel better and you can pay for it then fair enough.

I have always wanted lip lift procedure because I have always been a bit insecure about my lips. I'm 17 and obviously can't pay for it myself(you have to be 18 for anything), my parents would obviously never let me do anything to my face voluntarily, so I suppose I will have to wait till I'm actually earning...:redface: probably won't want it then anyway...

but that made me think...would you ever get it done on something you have always been insecure about? and what age do you think is appropriate?

To answer the questions in the title: Yes and at any age.

As for the questions in the OP: Yes, on my nose, if possible. Preferably at an age where I can afford to have it done with my own earnings. :smile:

I find most of the replies on this thread to be pretty immature, to be honest. 'I'm against plastic surgery.' Pfft. Mind your own bloody business.
Original post by m3m
If it's used to enhance your looks then absolutely not. God created each one of us in the best way. (If it's used for a disfigurement like after an accident, burnt or whatever then that's fine obviously).

But didn't God also determine any disfigurements that you later acquire? :tongue: Surely that counts as God's work as well, and shouldn't be changed.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Taking belly buttons out? :redface:What is wrong with your belly button?

Nothings wrong with it per se, just don't like it, would rather have a nice smooth belly :P

Original post by Bill_Gates
I'm personally totally against it. It highlights everything wrong with society. I'd much rather give the money to charity. Many people i know who do get it are still unhappy have insecurities. Just remember when you were a goofy little kid and how happy you were.

Original post by Arkasia
I believe that for the most part it is a disgusting side-effect of our superficial and consumption-based society, and whilst I have no reasonable objection to individuals choosing to do it, I wouldn't fully agree with it unless it was in the case of fixing an actual problem (birth defects, burn victims, war victims etc).

So you lot just roll out of bed in the morning and take absolutely no thought or effort into your appearance?
Original post by That's so mean:(
I bet your lips are fine, we are our own enemy when it comes to our appearance. I think we all feel insecure about the way we look at one point or another, I remember I hated my lips at one point and my nose, till I came to acknowledge that I was perfectly fine in my own skin. And didn't need to make no adjustment.

Also the media plays a huge role in what we perceive as attractive, when in reality what they portray in the spotlight is unrealistic and made to make you feel insecure, it's a marketing strategy by big corporations to buy their products by degrading your self esteem and making you feel "ugly". The majority of these huge stars have gone through countless amounts of photoshop to fit the agenda of these corporations. Don't buy into it.

So no I am totally against plastic surgery, as it can ultimately leave you looking much worse off prior to the surgery.

I have always hated my mouth because my lips are big and positioned oddly (at least it seems that way to me:redface:), I probably don't have the guts to go under the knife because I would be terrified it might come out looking 100X worse. I honestly doubt I would ever do it! nor would I pay £2500 for it, that's a bit ridiculous.

But it seems like so many people do it, that's why I asked. So many women have breast augmentation and lip fillers, those things are slowly seeming 'normal'. Lots of men and women get nose jobs, it just seems like something that is starting to become the norm if you know what I mean. Again I definitely agree with the above, it is a side effect to our ever growing superficial society.But I don't think it's wrong.
Reply 12
I prefer natural beauty over plastic surgery, however if you are unsecured about something, for example people are making fun or for whatever reasonable reason then go for it.

Compare between women with and women without plastic surgery

.Being moderated and neutral and not exaggerating with plastic surgery, especially those who turns themselves into what I think ugly dolls. Is the key for better beauty from my point of view, but some get addicted for some funny reasons.

Anyone is free to do whatever they want.

You may notice media will not tell the truth to people about the danger of plastic surgery because it is good business, commercial and a huge industry, taking advantage of social conflicts.So do expect a lot of cheating and hidden facts.

The best solution away from all of this fake life, is one to have confidence in herself including the way she looks, who cares what other thinks?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Plastic surgery for any other reason beyond repairing an injury or serious disfigurement gets a no from me.
cos bewbs
:colondollar:
Original post by Hydeman
To answer the questions in the title: Yes and at any age.

As for the questions in the OP: Yes, on my nose, if possible. Preferably at an age where I can afford to have it done with my own earnings. :smile:

I find most of the replies on this thread to be pretty immature, to be honest. 'I'm against plastic surgery.' Pfft. Mind your own bloody business.

May I ask are you a lady or a gentleman :colondollar:

No I'm not against it, I suppose if it makes you feel better then so what!

Is it something you would definitely do later in life
?
Nothings wrong with it per se, just don't like it, would rather have a nice smooth belly :P

With no belly button? :redface:

So you lot just roll out of bed in the morning and take absolutely no thought or effort into your appearance?

I agree, although they are right to some extent because we are all becoming more and more superficial, I don't think that it's wrong to alter your appearance if that is really what you want.
Original post by Arkasia

What exactly counts as a birth defect? :tongue: It's pretty subjective.
Reply 17

A belly without a belly button? Ffs. What even is this :lolwut:
Original post by Hydeman
What exactly counts as a birth defect? :tongue: It's pretty subjective.

If your face looks like a babybel that's melted, then solidified, then been used as target practice by a drunk man with an AK.

(Seriously though, something like a large birthmark, partially formed nose, harelip etc)

You play with the hand you're dealt with. You don't deliberately try to change the cards. Since the player will always remain the same.

Quick Reply

Latest