The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths - Stumped!

Hi,

I'm currently helping a colleagues child with his GCSE Maths preparation, and am stumped by a question. Can someone help please?

(y+3) is always 5 more than (y-2), therefore (y+3) - (y-2) = 5.

Complete the following:

(y+4) - (y-3) =

(y-2) - (y-3) =

I realise this is probably simultaneous equations, and I know how to do them well. I just can't seem to get started on this one .. :s-smilie:

I would be very grateful to anyone that could solve with steps for me.

Cheers.
Original post by BoltyBolt
Hi,

I'm currently helping a colleagues child with his GCSE Maths preparation, and am stumped by a question. Can someone help please?

Complete the following:

(y+4) - (y-3) =
(y-2) - (y-3) =

I realise this is probably simultaneous equations, and I know how to do them well. I just can't seem to get started on this one .. :s-smilie:

Cheers.

Try expanding the brackets - I don;t think its meant to be complicated.
(y+3) = 5 + (y-2) => (y+3) - (y-2) = 5

(y+4) - (y-3) = (y-y) + (...)
=
(y-2) - (y-3) = (...) + (-2--3)
=
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

Complete the following:

(y+4) - (y-3) =
(y-2) - (y-3) =

Cheers.

(y+4) - (y-3) = y + 4 - y + 3 = 7

(y-2) - (y-3) = y - 2 - y +3 = 1

Or simply, substitute any value of y and work out the answer. The answer will be how much more (y+something) is than (y+something else).
Reply 4
blank!
(edited 8 years ago)
We aren't supposed to post solutions ... please edit :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by RosesAreBlue
Or simply, substitute any value of y and work out the answer. The answer will be how much more (y+something) is than (y+something else).

Please don't post full solutions - it's against forum rules :smile:
Reply 7
Hi,

Complete the following:

(y+4) - (y-3) =

(y-2) - (y-3) =

Cheers.

These are not simultaneous equations. Each one is a statement in its own right, which is meant to be completed in the same way as the example you are given.

In other words, you should be saying something like:

"y + 4 is always BLANK more than y - 3, so (y + 4) - (y - 3) = BLANK"

where you have to fill in what BLANK should be.

If you can't 'see' the answer, then you can solve each individual case by expanding the second bracket and simplifying, but I'm not sure it's meant to be that involved

(Disclaimer: I'm not au fait with modern teaching methods, but depending on the age of the child this may be something where they want students to think in terms of a 'number line' or something similar. E.g. if you can mark the numbers y, y+4 and y-3 on a number line, can you work out the 'distance' between y+4 and y-3?)

Quick Reply

Latest