Could someone explain how a MMI (Multiple Mini Interview) is like at Kings?

Watch this thread
FluffyCherry
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm thinking of applying to Kings for Dentistry next year (I'll be taking a gap year), but I'd like to know how a MMI (Multiple Mini Interview) is like.

How many interviewers are there per station?
Like are you in a room interviewed by one person or is there more one person interviewing you?
Are you alone in the interview or are you in a group?
FluffyCherry
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by FluffyCherry)
I'm thinking of applying to Kings for Dentistry next year (I'll be taking a gap year), but I'd like to know how a MMI (Multiple Mini Interview) is like.

How many interviewers are there per station?
Like are you in a room interviewed by one person or is there more one person interviewing you?
Are you alone in the interview or are you in a group?
BUMP!
yoda123
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
bump, i want to know as well
FluffyCherry
Rep:
King’s College London Hello there, is it possible if you could answer my question above?
King’s College London
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

Great to hear you’re interested in studying Dentistry at King’s! Really sorry about the delay in replying to you.

If you take a look at the online prospectus (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...istry-bds.aspx), there’s a section in the Entry requirements tab about interviewing. Specifically, the paragraph on ‘The interview’ should help, which I've pulled the below information from.

‘Interviewees circulate from one timed station to another. At each station candidates meet one or two interviewers who ask structured questions and mark the responses to the questions independently.’

There’s also some additional information in the paragraph that is useful to read through.

Some of our current dental students might be able to share their experiences so do keep an eye on the thread for any updates.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes
FluffyCherry
Rep:
(Original post by King’s College London)
Hi there,

Great to hear you’re interested in studying Dentistry at King’s! Really sorry about the delay in replying to you.

If you take a look at the online prospectus (http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergrad...istry-bds.aspx), there’s a section in the Entry requirements tab about interviewing. Specifically, the paragraph on ‘The interview’ should help, which I've pulled the below information from.

‘Interviewees circulate from one timed station to another. At each station candidates meet one or two interviewers who ask structured questions and mark the responses to the questions independently.’

There’s also some additional information in the paragraph that is useful to read through.

Some of our current dental students might be able to share their experiences so do keep an eye on the thread for any updates.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes
Thanks a lot!
thetoothbudz
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thanks a lot!
Hi guys!My friend and I are currently two dental students at University and we have set up a facebook page to help anyone thinking of applying to dentistry. Although still fairly new, we hope to answer any questions you may have etc as well as keep you updated on anything we feel could maximize your chances of getting into Dental school in Sept! We would love if you head over and give us a like/share to keep you up to date on top tips etc. Facebook search: HOW TO GET INTO DENTISTRY Love,The Tooth Budz
Rahim93
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year undergraduate dental student at King's College London. With regards to the MMI system I can only comment on my own experience as there may have been changes made to the system since when I had to do it, but I highly doubt that is the case.

The structure is thoroughly explained to you on the day of your interview prior to starting. My interview was in Guy's hospital on one of the undergraduate treatment clinics. The interview is made up of 4 stations all in the same room and each station has a different interviewer. The interviewer at a station will ask you a few questions for 5 mins and on hearing a bell you are to get up and walk over to the next station (note while you are in one station there will also be 3 other students in the room being interviewed at the other stations) where you will be questioned for 5 mins more by a different interviewer. The questions will be as you would expect eg: Why dentistry?, Why King's? etc...

The interview lasts for 25 mins in total, this is because after having completed the 4th station you then have to walk back to the station you started at. Here your first interviewer tends to ask you questions regarding an ethical scenario (this scenario is given to you on the day of the interview and you are allowed to make notes on it prior to starting the process).

The MMI system is nothing to worry about and I think I actually preferred it to a conventional interview. This is because if one of the stations doesn't go too well you have 4 more chances to impress. Also you can potentially repeat things between stations if appropriate. In my interview I found the interviewers to be very nice as they prompted me and gave me clues as to what I should say if I got stuck or if I started answering the wrong question ☺️.

I hope that helps and if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your future applications.
FluffyCherry
Rep:
(Original post by Rahim93)
Hi guys, I'm a 3rd year undergraduate dental student at King's College London. With regards to the MMI system I can only comment on my own experience as there may have been changes made to the system since when I had to do it, but I highly doubt that is the case.

The structure is thoroughly explained to you on the day of your interview prior to starting. My interview was in Guy's hospital on one of the undergraduate treatment clinics. The interview is made up of 4 stations all in the same room and each station has a different interviewer. The interviewer at a station will ask you a few questions for 5 mins and on hearing a bell you are to get up and walk over to the next station (note while you are in one station there will also be 3 other students in the room being interviewed at the other stations) where you will be questioned for 5 mins more by a different interviewer. The questions will be as you would expect eg: Why dentistry?, Why King's? etc...

The interview lasts for 25 mins in total, this is because after having completed the 4th station you then have to walk back to the station you started at. Here your first interviewer tends to ask you questions regarding an ethical scenario (this scenario is given to you on the day of the interview and you are allowed to make notes on it prior to starting the process).

The MMI system is nothing to worry about and I think I actually preferred it to a conventional interview. This is because if one of the stations doesn't go too well you have 4 more chances to impress. Also you can potentially repeat things between stations if appropriate. In my interview I found the interviewers to be very nice as they prompted me and gave me clues as to what I should say if I got stuck or if I started answering the wrong question ☺️.

I hope that helps and if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck with your future applications.
Oh wow, thank you sooo much!!😃
Qh1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Just got home from a MedDentPrep course. Life changing!
Im relaxed knowing ive got all my interviews in the bag. You know what else ive got in my bag, a book with all Past MMI questions that MedDentPrep offer!!
Qh1999
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
King’s College London Hello there, is it possible if you could answer my question above?
Just post on MedDentPreps facebook page im sure they can answer any of your questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (12)
23.53%
The paper was reasonable (23)
45.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
19.61%
It was TERRIBLE (6)
11.76%

Watched Threads