masc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm thinking of transferring to computing science and would like to hear some of your experiences of the subject. Ups/downs of your courses? Hardest/easiest parts? Most/least enjoyable parts? How are labs?
jontyfernz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by masc)
I'm thinking of transferring to computing science and would like to hear some of your experiences of the subject. Ups/downs of your courses? Hardest/easiest parts? Most/least enjoyable parts? How are labs?
Transferring, as in which course are you in currently and which University?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmmmm - what subject are you doing at the moment and what are your motivations for doing Computer Science?

Most folks who do Computer Science at university have desires to go into the industry afterwards. It is a highly vocational course with lots of practical work. Harder parts might be algorithms or computer graphics which are mainly maths based. Compilers can be a bit of a pain to get your head around but I am not sure if they teach that any more. Other than that, I found it all pretty straightforward, certainly compared to electronics which was horrendously maths based for my liking.

Good luck!
masc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Hmmmm - what subject are you doing at the moment and what are your motivations for doing Computer Science?

Most folks who do Computer Science at university have desires to go into the industry afterwards. It is a highly vocational course with lots of practical work. Harder parts might be algorithms or computer graphics which are mainly maths based. Compilers can be a bit of a pain to get your head around but I am not sure if they teach that any more. Other than that, I found it all pretty straightforward, certainly compared to electronics which was horrendously maths based for my liking.

Good luck!
I'm doing Physics and Astronomy. I had wanted to do a social science transfer but didn't do enough arts subjects at school to get in. So I had to look round other sciences. Computing seems interesting because it's cutting-edge, and very relevant to today's - and tomorrow's - world. It's constantly revolutionary. I'm worried I might not be cut out for it at the end of the day - I'm already struggling and not enjoying physics, so there's a chance the same will happen with computing.
jontyfernz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by masc)
I'm doing Physics and Astronomy. I had wanted to do a social science transfer but didn't do enough arts subjects at school to get in. So I had to look round other sciences. Computing seems interesting because it's cutting-edge, and very relevant to today's - and tomorrow's - world. It's constantly revolutionary. I'm worried I might not be cut out for it at the end of the day - I'm already struggling and not enjoying physics, so there's a chance the same will happen with computing.
You will need to do very well or at least better than your previous course to get good job offers. Is it the maths that bores you. The level of maths in Computer science is different than that of physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah - computing is a doddle compared to physics. I was going to ask why you wanted to leave. I have often hired physicists. I have a lot of time for them. However, if it isn't your bag, you can do no worse than computing. Get yourself a tour of the computer science department and go from there.

Good luck!
masc
Rep:
?
It's weird, but I can enjoy maths-maths but not physics-maths. It's not what I want to do, thus I find it frustrating, boring, non-engaging...
I would have thought that computing science was on-par or even more difficult than physics - only for the high-fliers, though, like people who create programming languages.
masc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
Nah - computing is a doddle compared to physics. I was going to ask why you wanted to leave. I have often hired physicists. I have a lot of time for them. However, if it isn't your bag, you can do no worse than computing. Get yourself a tour of the computer science department and go from there.

Good luck!
What is your job/the industry you work in?
username1799249
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Software developer in the software developing industry. I've worked all over the shop from defence, mobile, finance and commercial Windows App development.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads